• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    I was shooting the breeze with a client today and I recounted a story from a few years ago. I thought you guys might enjoy it.

I was duck hunting along the shoreline from my boat about 8 or 9 hundred yards from the boat launch. Early December and cold. Well over the years I have had people come out and do donuts just outside my decoys, yell at me etc. etc. Well this guy puts his fishing boat in and proceeds to motor right over and drop anchor right outside my decoys. We were the only two boats on the lake.

I stood up just in the off chance this guy was really that stupid and didn't know I was duck hunting. Of course he knew. He gave me a smirk/smile and proceeded to fish. Well as anyone who has duck hunted knows. Ducks know the difference between those who are hunting them and those who are fishing. Well I had two ducks already. Needed two more for my limit. The next flight of ducks came right into my decoys.

I shot a double as the ducks flared and climbed over my boat. The shots were straight up and to the side so no possibility of the guy even getting peppered by falling shot. Well I was done so I proceeded to go out and pick up my decoys and the fallen ducks.

The guy proceeded to cuss me out and said he was going to call the cops. Said I was an animal killer and those were his ducks I was shooting, etc etc. I informed him that by knowingly fishing right outside my decoys he was committing a felony by harassing a hunter. He asked my name. I said I had already written down his registration numbers, took a video with my phone and would be filing a complaint with the DNR as soon as I got in and they would have my contact information should they need additional information. I also said since we were the only two on the lake that it shouldn't be hard to link my complaint with his.

He pulled up his anchor and sped off. Never heard another thing about it. I laughed all the way home (I live at the lake so I didn't have to pull out at the ramp.)

So what is the moral of this story. If the ducks are not coming into your decoys then you need just one more decoy. A man in a fishing boat just outside your decoys. LOLOLOLOL

cgbills

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Avon
    That is a good story. It reminds me of stories I have heard of anti-hunting people banging pots and pans on opening day of deer season. Good thing the Antis are not smart when it comes to deer behavior and did not realize they were in effect doing a deer drive, lol. Good job on keeping a level head and knowing the law

Mitch B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2010
    indiana
    Hunter Harassment Law—Legal hunting is protected by law. Indiana Code states that it is illegal to intentionally interfere with the legal taking of a game animal by another person. It is also illegal to intentionally disturb a game animal with intent to prevent or hinder the legal taking of that game. Further, it is unlawful to enter public land or private land without permission of the owner with the intent to prevent or hinder the legal taking of game.

If you were to report it he could of got in a lof of trouble. Had a similar situation a few years back while hunting with a friend. Only when the fisherman cast his line my buddy fired a 12 gauge # 2 across his line….the fisherman got out of dodge as fast as he could. Needless to say I haven’t hunted with him again. But glad you kept your cool. Where bouts is your lake maybe we could hunt together on your lake or mine this season.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    My brother-in-law hunts deer on his parents property. My wife routinely goes out the woods to intentionally scare the deer off.

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    Hunter Harassment Law—Legal hunting is protected by law. Indiana Code states that it is illegal to intentionally interfere with the legal taking of a game animal by another person. It is also illegal to intentionally disturb a game animal with intent to prevent or hinder the legal taking of that game. Further, it is unlawful to enter public land or private land without permission of the owner with the intent to prevent or hinder the legal taking of game.

If you were to report it he could of got in a lof of trouble. Had a similar situation a few years back while hunting with a friend. Only when the fisherman cast his line my buddy fired a 12 gauge # 2 across his line….the fisherman got out of dodge as fast as he could. Needless to say I haven’t hunted with him again. But glad you kept your cool. Where bouts is your lake maybe we could hunt together on your lake or mine this season.

What if I'm the landowner and I'm goin to Hunt and there's trespassers and I end up scaring off the deer? Can they file against me for this law? I wouldnt think so but trespassers seem to have better rights than landowners.

Sorry to thread jack. I would a motored up beside him and pulled his plug. See how fast he could get his boat out of the water!

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    What if I'm the landowner and I'm goin to Hunt and there's trespassers and I end up scaring off the deer? Can they file against me for this law? I wouldnt think so but trespassers seem to have better rights than landowners.

Sorry to thread jack. I would a motored up beside him and pulled his plug. See how fast he could get his boat out of the water![/quote]

Murphy's law says that he would drown and you would go to prison for life. Bad idea. I'm guessing that you were kidding, but still not a good idea.

As far your question goes about trespassers, you are not in violation of the law if you scare off deer. They are hunting illegally on your property, I recommend calling the Sheriff's department if it happens again.

Best regards,

Terry

cgbills

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Avon

This is the key verbiage for your trespassing question. Since they are trespassing they are hunting illegally, it does not cover illegal hunting. Also To note it says intentionally interfere. If you were on public land and accidentally kicked up a deer in another hunter’s area while you were heading to your spot, you are not in violation. Now if you were jumping up deer in another hunter’s area to try and drive them out of there to another area then you are in violation.

Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    I am surprised no one commented on the irony of his statement I was an animal killer yet he was fishing. Hmmmmmm.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I am surprised no one commented on the irony of his statement I was an animal killer yet he was fishing. Hmmmmmm.

May be he was using barb-less hooks ... (or none at all) ... just trying to look like he was fishing :dunno:. I try not too kill the fish when I'm fishing.

Good story; and good job keeping your head and using your wits.

Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    May be he was using barb-less hooks ... (or none at all) ... just trying to look like he was fishing :dunno:. I try not too kill the fish when I'm fishing.

Good story; and good job keeping your head and using your wits.

I hadn't thought of that. Maybe.

As far as keeping my wits. It has happened so many times I guess I am just used to it. Funny thing is the stretch of lake where I was hunting was nothing but swamp land. No houses for atleast 200 yds either way. Oh well. What 's even more funny is that people living at the lake know I hunt ducks. Some property owners will come up and want me to hunt in front of their place so the ducks/geese will avoid the area. Their neighbors on the other hand come out and yell at me. Then both of them get in a yelling match and what they don't understand is "I AM TRYING TO HUNT HERE!" lolololololol.

Top Bottom