• Do you agree with H.R. 2900?

• Total voters

RobF82

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Rossville IN
    Gun Owners of America - Gun Owners Of AmericaNothing burns me up faster than when someone tells me the 2nd amendment doesn't apply to today. I just had to read an anti-gun message someone Posted on FB about when the bill of rights was written it was a diffrent time and that he admitted he knew nothing about the permit/license process. He apparently believes in Indiana we hand guns out to violent criminals as they walk out of prison. Personally I believe H.R. 822 is a sham. I would encourage people to write your state reps. Ask them to cosponsor H.R. 2900. Constitutional carry is what our Founding Fathers gave to us and the Gov. has infringed on it ever since.

Last edited:

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    A link to the post on the forum that you mention would really be nice so that we can all enjoy this persons ignorance first hand. Or . . . second hand anyway. :popcorn: Maybe even a link to H.R. 2900, could be helpful as well.

RobF82

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Rossville IN
    The House passed national concealed carry reciprocity legislation on Wednesday evening by a vote of 272-154.

The bill, H.R. 822, is intended to allow persons who hold a concealed carry permit from one state to also carry anywhere in the country, with the exception of Illinois and Washington, D.C.

Though the bill passed by a wide margin, it was not without controversy on the pro-gun side of the debate.* In previous alerts, GOA has pointed out several flaws in the legislation.

* It forces Vermont residents (who do not need a permit to carry) to either obtain an out-of-state permit or to push their state to pass a more restrictive concealed carry law than it now enjoys;

* By requiring permits for reciprocity, the bill undermines efforts at the state level to pass constitutional carry (i.e., Vermont-style carry);

* In restrictive “may issue” states, the bill allows for non-residents to carry firearms in the state while most residents would still be prohibited, and;

* The bill is yet another example of Congress distorting of the Constitution’s Commerce Clause.

Representative Justin Amash (R-MI), who voted against the bill, addressed this last point in a statement, calling H.R. 822 “an unconstitutional bill that improperly applies the Commerce Clause to concealed carry licensing.”

Another freshman Representative, Rob Woodall (R-GA), noted that the right to carry a concealed firearm is already protected by the Second Amendment.

“If the Second Amendment protects my rights to carry my concealed weapon from state to state to state, I don’t need another federal law,” Rep. Woodall said.* He went on to remind his colleagues of the original intent of the right to keep and bear arms.

“I don’t believe the Second Amendment was put in the Bill of Rights to allow me to shoot targets [or] hunt for deer and turkey.* I think the Second Amendment was put in the Bill of Rights so that I could defend my freedom against an overbearing federal government.”

Anti-gun Amendment Passes

One extremely troubling amendment to the bill was slipped in on a voice vote.* Sponsored by Republican David Reichert (“C” rated by GOA), the amendment instructs the Government Accounting Office to:

“Conduct a study of the ability of State and local law enforcement authorities to verify the validity of licenses or permits, issued by other States, to carry a concealed firearm.”

Nowhere in the Constitution is there even a hint of authority for the federal government to “study” the exercising of a right.* Even worse, you can be sure that anti-gunners will use any excuse, including this study, to push for some type of national carry license.*

The bill now heads to the Senate, where GOA is already working with key Senators to address ALL of the problems with the bill.* GOA is also working with Rep. Paul Broun (R-GA) on legislation, H.R. 2900, that takes a constitutional approach to concealed carry recognition.

Courtesy of GOA

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Do I agree with HR2900? I guess so.

It is just ridiculous to me that all of this even has to go on! The 2nd Amendment was put there for a very clear and specific reason. It has been trampled on for too long and needs to stop. Shall not be infringed!!!

BLA

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Brown County
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Just because its a different time doesn't mean it's not still relevant!

"By calling attention to 'a well regulated militia', the 'security' of the nation, and the right of each citizen 'to keep and bear arms', our founding fathers recognized the essentially civilian nature of our economy. Although it is extremely unlikely that the fears of governmental tyranny which gave rise to the Second Amendment will ever be a major danger to our nation, the Amendment still remains an important declaration of our basic civilian-military relationships, in which every citizen must be ready to participate in the defense of his country. For that reason, I believe the Second Amendment will always be important."
    -- Senator John F. Kennedy, 1960

squirrelhntr

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    n.w. indiana
    Yes, here is the title of the bill. Titled " The Secure Access to Firearms Enhancement Act ", this legislation recognizes that constitutional rights do not become null and void at the state line

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The House passed national concealed carry reciprocity legislation on Wednesday evening by a vote of 272-154.

The bill, H.R. 822, is intended to allow persons who hold a concealed carry permit from one state to also carry anywhere in the country, with the exception of Illinois and Washington, D.C.

Though the bill passed by a wide margin, it was not without controversy on the pro-gun side of the debate.* In previous alerts, GOA has pointed out several flaws in the legislation.

* It forces Vermont residents (who do not need a permit to carry) to either obtain an out-of-state permit or to push their state to pass a more restrictive concealed carry law than it now enjoys;

* By requiring permits for reciprocity, the bill undermines efforts at the state level to pass constitutional carry (i.e., Vermont-style carry);

* In restrictive “may issue” states, the bill allows for non-residents to carry firearms in the state while most residents would still be prohibited, and;

* The bill is yet another example of Congress distorting of the Constitution’s Commerce Clause.

Representative Justin Amash (R-MI), who voted against the bill, addressed this last point in a statement, calling H.R. 822 “an unconstitutional bill that improperly applies the Commerce Clause to concealed carry licensing.”

Another freshman Representative, Rob Woodall (R-GA), noted that the right to carry a concealed firearm is already protected by the Second Amendment.

“If the Second Amendment protects my rights to carry my concealed weapon from state to state to state, I don’t need another federal law,” Rep. Woodall said.* He went on to remind his colleagues of the original intent of the right to keep and bear arms.

“I don’t believe the Second Amendment was put in the Bill of Rights to allow me to shoot targets [or] hunt for deer and turkey.* I think the Second Amendment was put in the Bill of Rights so that I could defend my freedom against an overbearing federal government.”

Anti-gun Amendment Passes

One extremely troubling amendment to the bill was slipped in on a voice vote.* Sponsored by Republican David Reichert (“C” rated by GOA), the amendment instructs the Government Accounting Office to:

“Conduct a study of the ability of State and local law enforcement authorities to verify the validity of licenses or permits, issued by other States, to carry a concealed firearm.”

Nowhere in the Constitution is there even a hint of authority for the federal government to “study” the exercising of a right.* Even worse, you can be sure that anti-gunners will use any excuse, including this study, to push for some type of national carry license.*

The bill now heads to the Senate, where GOA is already working with key Senators to address ALL of the problems with the bill.* GOA is also working with Rep. Paul Broun (R-GA) on legislation, H.R. 2900, that takes a constitutional approach to concealed carry recognition.

Courtesy of GOA

I disagree. Vermont can just issue PERMITS to all their citizens and be done with it.

Top Bottom