New England
    Last edited:

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    How much are you looking to store in them? I usually find that their gun counts are a little high, especially if you don't want to cram everything in on top of each other.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    5 long guns. 2 of which are 10/22's
    and pistols where I can fit them. The 10 gun one looks like my best option for that.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    No fire rating on either.

I would look at one from Sam's Club.

I think they may be resistant. I know that only means 15 mminutes.
    Also I was going to put the pistols in small fire box inside the Stack-ONS.

I checked out the Sam's club website they are all over $1,200. Maybe they have others in the brick and mortar stores. Any model/brand suggestions?

Last edited:

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I think they may be resistant. I know that only means 15 mminutes.
    Also I was going to put the pistols in small fire box inside the Stack-ONS.

I checked out the Sam's club website they are all over $1,200. Maybe they have others in the brick and mortar stores. Any model/brand suggestions?

I recently looked at the Winchester line, they aren't bad at all... biggest drawback is that the hinges are on the out side. But it goes back to the old..IF they want it, with enough time they will get it. Winchester Safes are just a couple few more hundred dollars more than what you are looking at. Prob. what I am going with.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    I recently looked at the Winchester line, they aren't bad at all... biggest drawback is that the hinges are on the out side. But it goes back to the old..IF they want it, with enough time they will get it. Winchester Safes are just a couple few more hundred dollars more than what you are looking at. Prob. what I am going with.

OK. I'll have to check them out. Do any of them fit in a closet?

Also worrried about the weight as it's on the second floor.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I used to live on the second floor. I know what you are dealing with. I bought a I believe is a 14 gun stack on. I know it does not have fire protection. However I have extra renters insurance, and pictures/serial numbers of all my guns. I was on a budget at the time too. I mean where I live, someone would have to be stupid to break in and try to break into my cabinent. The stackons are good cabinents. You can buy ones for pistols, that bolt onto the top of the long gun cabinents. Only drawback is carbine size rifles are too short, too rest on the gun rests inside. My AK, and Kel-Tec are leaning against the back.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    I used to live on the second floor. I know what you are dealing with. I bought a I believe is a 14 gun stack on. I know it does not have fire protection. However I have extra renters insurance, and pictures/serial numbers of all my guns. I was on a budget at the time too. I mean where I live, someone would have to be stupid to break in and try to break into my cabinent. The stackons are good cabinents. You can buy ones for pistols, that bolt onto the top of the long gun cabinents. Only drawback is carbine size rifles are too short, too rest on the gun rests inside. My AK, and Kel-Tec are leaning against the back.

Did you have the locker (key) or the combo?

What about stacking some ammo or weights in the bottom so smaller rifles can fit? Or pistol boxes on the bottom?

Do you feel it'll be a deterrent to "regular" theives? (bolted to a wall stud of course)

Last edited:

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN

I don't understand? Even if the hinges were cut with a torch, the locking bolts would still hold the door in place. Exterior hinges allow 180 degree open radius. This is the only difference between interior and exterior hinges.

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    I don't understand? Even if the hinges were cut with a torch, the locking bolts would still hold the door in place. Exterior hinges allow 180 degree open radius. This is the only difference between interior and exterior hinges.

Well that's kind of embarrasing...

I've been looking at safes too...I found myself thinking that I needed to get one with hinges on the inside because I thought if the outside hinges were cut, the door would just fall off.

Maybe I shouldn't have posted that. :D

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    Well that's kind of embarrasing...

I've been looking at safes too...I found myself thinking that I needed to get one with hinges on the inside because I thought if the outside hinges were cut, the door would just fall off.

Maybe I shouldn't have posted that. :D

I didn't know that either until I started my quest for the best safe I could afford trip. I must say, the 180 degree open radius is very nice and allows A LOT more room for access than a 90 or even 120 degree door. My safe is rated at 1880 drgree @ 90 min and is quite heavy. With three exterrior hinges, the door popped off and was able to transport seperatly from the body - something to consider depending where your safe is going.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    thats ONLY if it has bolts that go into multiple sides, some of which do not....

my concern with the stackon is if not bolted to a stud VERY throughouly all you are doing it packaging up ALL of your guns to be removed in one convenient box... i would say weight is your friend.... from what i have read about the winchesters thats what i would reccomend... buy once cry once, you will thank me in 5 years.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    I recent took delivery of a Johnson Safe delivered by...... Jeff Johnson. I went to his shop in Zionsville and saw how he makes them. These safes are of the highest quality.....

The finest materials, fire rated, no short cuts. Made in Indiana by an INGO Site Supporter. I understand they are more money than what you are going to find at a store but the value can not be beat. I think very highly Jeff Johnson and the safes he makes.

Johnson Safe - INGunOwners

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    I hear what you guys are saying. I'm just trying to not kill the family below me.
    How about the the stackon mounted to the floor???

Maybe the Johnson folks can do me up a smaller custom one fore the longguns.
    I can afford a pistol one that will bolt tot he wall as well. or maybe a craftsman chest w/o the wheels full of tools , guns , and weights?
    I'm guessing Johnson is in the ad supportes section. I'll check 'em out.

EDIT: Or in the link you provided!

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    OK. Pricing and weight out of my league at this point. Looks like a great idea for the future or ground floor living.....

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I hear what you guys are saying. I'm just trying to not kill the family below me.
    How about the the stackon mounted to the floor???

Maybe the Johnson folks can do me up a smaller custom one fore the longguns.
    I can afford a pistol one that will bolt tot he wall as well. or maybe a craftsman chest w/o the wheels full of tools , guns , and weights?
    I'm guessing Johnson is in the ad supportes section. I'll check 'em out.

EDIT: Or in the link you provided!

I would avoid stackon, they are cheap and crap.

I sent Johnson Safes an email 2 wks ago with the exact idea you have. I told them how much I valued their work, and quality of their product. But it was a little steep for my wallet. Wanted to work out a payment plan, lay a way, or smaller safe. I will let you know their response, when they get back to me.

BTW...Ammo that's your weight!

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    I would avoid stackon, they are cheap and crap.

I sent Johnson Safes an email 2 wks ago with the exact idea you have. I told them how much I valued their work, and quality of their product. But it was a little steep for my wallet. Wanted to work out a payment plan, lay a way, or smaller safe. I will let you know their response, when they get back to me.

BTW...Ammo that's your weight!

Very nice RNM! I await their reply to you. Maybe if they made 2 it would be cheaper on them and us????

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Best way to get in touch with Jeff Johnson is the phone.

317-876-7233

Jeff doesn't get along well with computers.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom