• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MtnBiker6510

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I normally CC to/at/after work, but today I had alot of running around to do visiting clients and such so decided to OC. Stopped at McD's to get my sweet tea fix (that stuffs like crack!). While waiting in line, a gentleman standing in line next to me asks in a friendly tone: "Why do you carry your weapon like that?" (note: he said weapon not gun)
    I reply: "For protection, especially if I'm going to be traveling or in an unsafe area."
    He replied: "You don't see that too much; why not carry concealed?"
    to which I responded: "I prefer to open carry, as I am much faster getting to it if I were to ever need to. As a big guy I find it hard to concealed carry and still have it easily accessible"
    He seemed satisfied with this answer and asked: "Have you ever had to use it?"
    I was a little surprised by this question, but tried to not show my surprise and just replied: "No, and I sure hope God never places me in a position where I have to."
    He wished me a nice day and I did the same. He was very kind and just seemed inquisitive. It was a very pleasant interaction.

I'd like to state something and please forgive me if I should be standing on a soapbox here, but I feel this needs to be said.

I often open carry, and for those debating whether to try or not, I have found that when I dress nice in clean clothes, tucked shirt, belt, watch etc, and carry myself professionally and act courteously with manners, many people with whom I interact, seldom seem to give the handgun on my hip a 2nd look. If I see someone with little children I do try to keep myself between the weapon and the kids, just for respect for the little ones. I also try to keep myself in a position where it is not immediately evident I have a weapon, by angle of stance or the seat I take in a restaurant. These habits have made it very easy to open carry from the start after receiving my lifetime LTCH.
    Everytime a "non-firearms person" distinguishes us as a "firearms person" we have a responsibility and a duty as representatives, to be a positive role model. I try to act in a way that would make my Grandpa proud. :)

MtnBiker6510

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Someone is going to take your gun and use it against you if you OC. You will be the first to shot should there be some criminal activity.

Note: I know this as absolute fact, despite not being able to find any evidence to support my position. :dunno: :laugh:

One of the 1st things someone should do before they open carry is be sure they can maintain their situational awareness to minimize the likelihood of an individual being close enough to surprise and overpower.

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    Someone is going to take your gun and use it against you if you OC. You will be the first to shot should there be some criminal activity.

Note: I know this as absolute fact, despite not being able to find any evidence to support my position. :dunno: :laugh:
    FIFY, you forgot the purple

mmorris

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    What about the concern that those that are not LTCH and support themselves out side of the law see this (OC) as opportunity to create a threat. I guess what im asking is..by OC in certain environments isn't that inviting the possibility of a dangerous situation?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    One of the 1st things someone should do before they open carry is be sure they can maintain their situational awareness to minimize the likelihood of an individual being close enough to surprise and overpower.

I'm carrying my handgun unloaded in the car to see how good I am at keeping it locked and inaccessible. I know... All guns are loaded... If I pass my test after a week or so I'll take the round out of my shirt pocket and put it in the gun.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I often open carry, and for those debating whether to try or not, I have found that when I dress nice in clean clothes, tucked shirt, belt, watch etc, and carry myself professionally and act courteously with manners, many people with whom I interact, seldom seem to give the handgun on my hip a 2nd look.

So if I dress nicely nobody will notice my S&W 500 ES in my S&W shoulder holster?

I've always wanted to carry that sucker just to see what would happen.:D

Wwwildthing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Arizona
    I live in a little 2-cop town near Greensburg. The only people I've seen open carry here are the 2 LEO's when off-duty... ragged jeans and dirty t's, with Blackhawk Serpa's and a badge next to it.

Surely "WE" can do better than that.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    What about the concern that those that are not LTCH and support themselves out side of the law see this (OC) as opportunity to create a threat. I guess what im asking is..by OC in certain environments isn't that inviting the possibility of a dangerous situation?

Criminals tend to select easier targets and avoid armed ones.

By making your armed status known, it seems to act as just the opposite - a deterrent rather than an invitation.

Do you suspect that most common criminals are out looking for the lowest risk easy money or a higher risk gunfight?

Last edited:

hondatech2k2

Shooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Jul 10, 2011
    Greenwood
    I have only OC 1 time.... I was in my bdu's and still had my drop leg on w/ my 1911 still in it.... I have mixed emotions about it honestly. I like the element of surprise, however my withdraw time from a CC position is not as fast (seconds count). I have extensive training with a sidearm in my drop leg rig and can withdraw it extremely fast. I assume a regular holster in open carry would be close to similar as my drop rig. Anyways, I have considered it but have not made the jump yet.... "yet". Good topic and great post +1.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Great post.

My wife and I were with a fellow INGOer and his wife a few weekends ago. Hand I were cc'ing, and our wives were OC-ing at Wendy's restaurant. There were a few looks, but noboday at all got worked up, no man (or in this case) with a gun calls, nobody asked us to leave, etc.

I have to think that it had somewhat to do with the fact that all of us were well behaved, and also the fact that our wives were much better looking than we were!!

While it is a stereotype, like it or not, better dressed individuals, especially females, do tend to appear to be less threatening than shabbilly dressed folks.

Plinker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    +1 to OC in Fort Wayne. I try to do so often, and I'm glad others are as well. Still have yet to see anyone else doing it though...

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Everytime a "non-firearms person" distinguishes us as a "firearms person" we have a responsibility and a duty as representatives, to be a positive role model.
    This sentence right here is earning you a rep point. I'm all for OC as long as we're being good ambassadors, OC represents every firearm owner to the non firearm minded. Maybe convert a few antis, enlighten a few sheep, but surely don't alienate the indifferent or those on our side that choose not to carry.
    Stepping outside invites the possibility of a dangerous situation, driving almost guarantees it, "dangerous situations" are everywhere, OCing doesn't invite or remove them any more than CC (for every it deters!, there's a surprise wins! and so on). What is going to make the difference is how the weapon between your ears is used. Put a good head on your shoulders, keep the SA up and be skilled in the use of you means of defense; that's what's going to give you the advantage and get you home at the end of the day.

Top Bottom