• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Ok, given the extremely low prices of these things at the current time, I may be in the market for one. Primarily its use will be killing paper, and a SHTF piece. I reload, so ammo cost isn't really an issue. I know absolutely nothing about these things. I don't THINK I am into the .300blk but should I be?

I have some questions, but I am sure there is lots that I am missing so feel free to chime in with any info that isn't necessarily in my questions.

1. Are all 223's able to shoot 5.56 and vice versa?
    2. I have heard that cleaning them is a pain. How true is this?
    3. Budget is around $6-800. Give me some models to consider in that range. I can go a little higher if the quality is there but I do not need a match grade rifle.
    4. How hard is building one and What tools are required?
    5. Cost savings on buying vs. building?
    6. I've only reloaded for pistol. How much different is rifle reloading?
    7. Twist rate-whats the diff?

Help me decide if I want to go this route or just spend that $ on a Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 to hunt with. I'm leaning toward the SBH honestly, since I already have tons of components for reloading for it, but the cheap prices on AR's I see have me wondering if I should buy 1 while I can.

Thanks.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I'll share some of the info I've obtained in my own efforts:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long-guns/347968-my-effort-build-sub-$500*-ar-15-a.html

1. Are all 223's able to shoot 5.56 and vice versa?
    No and yes. If there is a upper/barrel chambered for .223, it can't fire 5.56, but 5.56 can fire .223. But, the newish .223 Wylde can fire both. Nowadays, I don't think anyone manufactures the .223-only chambering.

3. Budget is around $6-800. Give me some models to consider in that range. I can go a little higher if the quality is there but I do not need a match grade rifle.

See my thread. You can get a solid shooter new/used for that budget, or build one if you want to fret over every stinkin' component.

4. How hard is building one and What tools are required?
    Depending on how "complete" you get each batch of parts, you may not even need extra tools. In my recent experience, there's only about a 10% increase to get the pieces delivered ready to assemble.

5. Cost savings on buying vs. building?
    I'd say not much, if at all, in this market.

7. Twist rate-whats the diff?
    The bigger the number the slower the bullet spins coming out of the barrel. This can affect different sized bullets differently. You kinda have to know what bullet you'll be shooting before you figure out what twist you want.

G'luck!

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    1. Usually ARs are ok for both but not always. Do not try to shoot 5.56 from a .223 bolt gun or the rare .223 only.
    2. Not very true. It's pretty easy.
    3. Not gonna recommend anything I haven't used so...
    4. Not hard. Stock wrench, hand guard wrench, set of punches, rubber mallet, box cutter (to hold front takedown detent spring in place)
    5. Around $100-300 depending.
    6. Brass processing is more intensive
    7. If you want to shoot billets over 62g you will want a 1:8 twist vs 1:9. A 1:7 will be best for heavy 77g or so bullets. IMO 1:8 is the most versatile unless you want to shoot low weight varmint rounds.

I dont one see how ammo cost is not an issue for a shtf gun? But ok. IMO every Sheepdog needs one of these.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I'll add that I'd stay away from 300BLK UNLESS you're building an SBR and have/plan to have a suppressor... otherwise just build a 308 AR (expensive) or shoot an AK (cheap). That's my opinion as a 300BLK owner.

sb0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Indy
    1. Most all ARs are 5.56 and can shoot .223. Most .223s are bolt guns and can't shoot 5.56.
    2. Not really.
    3. M&P Sport or complete upper and lower from PSA.
    4. Building the lower is easy. Building the upper is more difficult but doable. Most people don't build their own uppers. You need a couple of more specialized tools for the upper, not more than $100 worth.
    5. You're not looking at a big difference either way.
    6. Can't help you there.
    7. Higher twist rate for heavier projectiles. Higher meaning the second number is lower, ie 1:7 is higher than 1:9.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    There is plenty of info on tap already. Take some time, do your research, figure out what YOU want. Then ask for opinions, there will be plenty of them, enough to confuse you even more without some basic knowledge.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The main advantage to building your own is you can spec out each part and end up with the exact AR15 you want.
    It's up to you how important this is.

maceace

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    NWI
    By the way, if I had it to do over again, I'd look at something like this package from PSA:
    PSA 16" Stainless Mid-length Freedom Carbine with Stevens 320 Security 12 Ga 19486

A few weeks ago, they had a 16" AR paired with a .22LR AR for about that same price.

They also have some nice clearance firearms:
    Firearms Clearance - Firearms

I think this is one of the better deals available right now, I have 2 PSA kits built on surplus ammo lowers and they are both great rifles...you can do one better and get one of their stripped blem receivers (they are between 50 and 60) and one of their complete kits, total would be right around $500 to $550 depending on what kit... they are as reliable and accurate as any other ar, use the rest of the money on ammo and accessories to customize to your liking...

12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    Don't do it Bocefus78 it is a dark, expensive road once you get started. But it is lots of fun:ar15::rockwoot:And don't even get me started on AK's

dieselmudder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2014
    United States
    for the money the M&P 15 sport is a great starter AR. ive been adding and accessorising mine. when the time comes i want to go higher end ill build one, since ive now became farmiliar with all of the workings. with all the accessories from this one, and i will be able to keep the basic gun for plinking, or sell to offset cost of buying something else.

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    Colt 6720, 6920 models are a great place to start, have the correct bcg and barrel configurations, and are like 900$ online. Screaming deals to be had right now.

I like the 6720. Very light and fast.

PUalum04

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Hope
    Colt 6720, 6920 models are a great place to start, have the correct bcg and barrel configurations, and are like 900$ online. Screaming deals to be had right now.

I like the 6720. Very light and fast.

+1

I have no complaints about my Colt 6920.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    With your budget I would get a Palmetto state armory premium carbine and that should cost between $700.00-$800.00 range brand new, I have done a ton of research and seems to be a good rifle in that price range.

Top Bottom