• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I learned how to reload from a friend of mine when I was in my mid 20's. I must have reloaded a million 9mm rounds and half that in .357 Magnum and .38 Special. It's a good feeling to be able to make reliable and safe ammunition, even if you're just using an old Lee Challenger setup.

Today my son came over with the sprouts, and the goodies to make up some .40 S&W rounds. We used IMR 700X, Winchester primers, and a big bag of recycled brass. I taught him how to work the scale, how to measure everything just right, and we quickly put together 25 rounds. 5 rounds of each powder load ranging from 4.3 to 4.7 grains.

Off to the shooting range at Atterbury and we quickly decided that with this particular bullet 4.4 grains would be perfect for some good target shooting. I showed him to look for cratering, and how to recapture most of his spent brass. We had a great time.

When we got home, me and the kids watched Fineas and Ferb and Spongebob while he cranked out 100 more rounds.

A great day indeed. Now my son knows how to make his own ammunition.

How's that for prepping? <grin>

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Sounds like a great day of family fun to me! My son is one of the few people I will have around when I'm reloading. He knows to keep the chatter to a minimum and I don't hardly need to tell him what step to do next anymore. :)

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Sounds like a great day of family fun to me! My son is one of the few people I will have around when I'm reloading. He knows to keep the chatter to a minimum and I don't hardly need to tell him what step to do next anymore. :)

I don't think this can be stressed enough. When reloading ammo, it deserves 100% of your attention. The time to chat is when the brass is in the tumbler getting cleaned...otherwise, focus on the task at hand is a must.

dreamer56

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Next door in Illinois
    Congrats PistolBob! Like lots of other things in life, when you are taught the right way it is successful and rewarding for both parties involved. And somewhere down the road your son will do the same for someone else. Cool.

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    That is awesome. My son and I put together 150 rounds of .45 Auto yesterday. I am pretty new to reloading, but I am 100% hooked and love it. Hopefully my son and I can learn together and he will enjoy it as well.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Good job. Seems like all you hear 'I don't have time'. The time spent with your kids, is time you'll never regret.

cartmanfan15

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Seymour, IN
    When I first read the title, thought this was going to be a "this round blew up in my face" type of thread. Glad it wasn't. Congrats! My friend taught me how and I have enjoyed it as well and we have good times reloading together.

Freedom556

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2012
    I've been reloading 556/233 do a short time, I would still consider myself new. I find it to be relaxing and it's great to save the money on ammo.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    give a man a box of ammo, and he will shoot for a few minutes. teach the man to make the ammo, he will shoot more than a box?

glad you taught him a lifelong lesson.

Top Bottom