Another gun store robbed. Time for a law change.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    Too bad, all these stolen guns are either going to be in the black market, sold to the gangs in Chiraq or any places where shootings are frequent. Then Indiana is going to get blamed by the anti-gun.

This isn't the first time that a vehicle is used to ram a gun store. How come gun stores aren't still installing those steel posts on soft areas/entrances?

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Like putting machine guns in a trailer behind a business, maybe?
    Yep, you got me. That's one?

I heard that all or most of the guns were recovered but that there was a chance Andrew will not get them back. Anyone know anything about this?
    Is there any reason that authoritys can stop the legal owner from getting his stolen items back?

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    This thread is truly comical, in an embarrassing sort of way.

If a gun store installed a $50,000 dollar vault capable of holding the entire inventory, they would be boycotted by most of the membership of INGO because they raised the price of a Glock by a nickel.

The people crying for the extra security are probably the same ones that buy online then start a thread, "who has the cheapest transfer fee".

Maybe they are the ones that always post on the first page of any, "what high dollar AR brand should I buy?". "They all suck, I spent $400 dollars at PSA and got a better rifle."

People amaze me.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Too bad, all these stolen guns are either going to be in the black market, sold to the gangs in Chiraq or any places where shootings are frequent. Then Indiana is going to get blamed by the anti-gun.

This isn't the first time that a vehicle is used to ram a gun store. How come gun stores aren't still installing those steel posts on soft areas/entrances?
    What "soft areas"?
    there are steel ballards around most of the building. There are steel roll up doors that block all windows and doors. There are 20-30 cameras around the building. What else would you expect of a business owner?

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    What "soft areas"?
    there are steel ballards around most of the building. There are steel roll up doors that block all windows and doors. There are 20-30 cameras around the building. What else would you expect of a business owner?
    Better security and free guns!
    next question.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Just for fun, I read some old threads on police vehicles broken into and weapons stolen. Oddly, the tone was quite different...and no one jumped in with "victim blaming" when words like "fools" were tossed out. I also got to see a neat spat between some long term members prior to me signing up, which was interesting.

Look, security is a sliding scale. I don't think it's too much to ask to make a reasonable effort to secure weapons and ammunition. Cleanliness is also a sliding scale. I don't think it's too much to ask a restaurant to keep the kitchen clean enough to not Chipotle me into a bleeding colon. I understand in both circumstances that sometimes, despite due care, the efforts of safety are defeated. That doesn't mean we should just throw our hands up and decide that all precautions are worthless. Why bother washing your hands before handling food? Someone will get sick eventually anyway...

I'm completely blown away by how something this simple, something in which reasonable minds can differ on where the line is drawn, results in some of the statements in this thread.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Ok*** after having read the WHOLE damn rambling thread, I still have two thoughts.
    A My original thought. Stop letting violent felons out within days or hours of their latest arrest. Close the revolving door.
    B Due diligence on the shop owners' parts is common sense. As a matter of common sense, it is NOT something which we need more laws for.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Just for fun, I read some old threads on police vehicles broken into and weapons stolen. Oddly, the tone was quite different...and no one jumped in with "victim blaming" when words like "fools" were tossed out. I also got to see a neat spat between some long term members prior to me signing up, which was interesting.

Lol, detectives gon' detect.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Lol, detectives gon' detect.

gdpwt4.jpg

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    What do you all think.
    I think that after what you propose is implemented, and the prices of firearms, ammo, and accessories, are adjusted accordingly, you're going to post a complaint post on INGO about how expensive all the stuff at the LGS is! Here's a thought, let's tell everyone of these useless scum to quit taking others' property? And when these dirtbags are caught, and we've seen that they've been on the "catch and release" plan of our local court systems for years, why don't we then blame the police for not arresting them good enough?(Not meant as a police slight, just an absurd answer to an absurd solution.)

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    . . . Look, security is a sliding scale. I don't think it's too much to ask to make a reasonable effort to secure weapons and ammunition. . . .
    I'm completely blown away by how something this simple, something in which reasonable minds can differ on where the line is drawn, results in some of the statements in this thread.

^^^^^ Everything is a tradeoff, such as how secure vs. how expensive. BBI uses that magic word a couple of times: REASONABLE.

So much in life is a decision on where to put the line when dealing with matters that require judgment.

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    A former co-worker who owns a gun shop in Martinsville uses this very unobtrusive and attractive method of preventing vehicles smashing through his front window:

Martinsville Guns Storefront.jpg

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    203   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Yep, you got me. That's one?

I heard that all or most of the guns were recovered but that there was a chance Andrew will not get them back. Anyone know anything about this?
    Is there any reason that authoritys can stop the legal owner from getting his stolen items back?

I think maybe a year prior to the machine gun theft, he had left some silencers in his car in his driveway that were stolen.
    I can see where the ATF may be a little reluctant to let him have his weapons back. I'm not saying they should keep them, but I can see the hesitation.
    I think he also started a "go fund me" page to help with legal fees to get his weapons back.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I think maybe a year prior to the machine gun theft, he had left some silencers in his car in his driveway that were stolen.
    I can see where the ATF may be a little reluctant to let him have his weapons back. I'm not saying they should keep them, but I can see the hesitation.
    I think he also started a "go fund me" page to help with legal fees to get his weapons back.
    Yes, he had a prior theft from his truck (in his driveway, I believe).
    But under what authority can they refuse returning HIS guns?

Top Bottom