Another gun store robbed. Time for a law change.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    They need to do away with those silly booby trap laws. Set some claymores around the perimeter of the shop, triggered by breaking glass, etc.. Post appropriate warning signs of course. :)

claymore.jpg

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    They need to do away with those silly booby trap laws. Set some claymores around the perimeter of the shop, triggered by breaking glass, etc.. Post appropriate warning signs of course. :)

claymore.jpg

Face it, anyone who trained on the Claymore knew guys who looked at it and said: "yeah, but which side is the front"?

...but I digress.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

claymore.jpg

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hopefully it would get to the point of: "Damn, I'll probably die if I try to rob this place.... I better not."

10000 times more effective than jail....... I can dream.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I don't think this is an unreasonable request and it goes a long way to show we want to be responsible. We all love our guns. I'm just asking you to look at it from the other side that wants to take guns from all of us.

Locks are just to keep an honest person honest. No lock, safe, or deterrent can stop a crook.
    Enough of the laws already. We've got enough. As a matter of fact.... Sell it somewhere else 'cause we're full up here.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    i dont think the rape and buy a safe are a fair parallel....two different things and requiring a safe to run a gun shop is not a bad idea. It seems reasonable given the amount of smash and grabs you see with what is at stake. I think bringing rape into has the ring of demagoguery. I think the suggestion is practical and would make thieves think twice knowing the have to smash the truck into the store backwards, locate the safe, move the safe, and haul off the safe all in about five minutes. I just don't think the typical thief will go for that.

Folks say harsher penatlies but nobody has a clue who these dudes are. Did they catch the guys that pulled the smash and grab at Elmores (by the way Elmores had there stuff in a safe and they got away with a shotgun and a couple other guns if i recall--not the whole inventory by just having bolt cutters)?

Has nobody here actually worked in a gun store? Unless you're just used to going to hole in the wall gun stores where their entire inventory can sit in a couple display cases this is nonsense. For one thing if you own a safe even a larger one realistically cut the capacity by about half from what they say it'll hold. Unless they are all skinny marlin model 60's by the time you put real guns in them they fill up fast. The store I worked at at any one time we had between 3K-5K guns depending on the time of the year, many of those were long guns in boxes, how many of those do you think are going to fit in even a wide body safe, not very many. We wouldn't have enough room to keep the amount of safes it would require to put even a fraction of those away. Best thing you can do is to try and harden it, have a good alarm, and good video.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    So how much more protection would a gun store need to make it harder? Steel bars concrete to the ground in front of the store? Turrets?

I have got that....Steel poles and bars three feet into the earth....But with Tourettes instead of "turrets"......

"Okay *&&^%$#@^%^% you think you're %^^$# gonna rob me &^%$#@%& you think *&^%$# Bacon..*&^%%...Long Ryders...Elmer Keith %$%^^&*^&*....Nosferatu...*&&^%%$"

When doggydaddy comes down from Canada it really kicks in bad...With Indy1919 as well..(unless his wife is with him and then I am on my best behavior...)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have got that....Steel poles and bars three feet into the earth....But with Tourettes instead of "turrets"......

"Okay *&&^%$#@^%^% you think you're %^^$# gonna rob me &^%$#@%& you think *&^%$# Bacon..*&^%%...Long Ryders...Elmer Keith %$%^^&*^&*....Nosferatu...*&&^%%$"

When doggydaddy comes down from Canada it really kicks in bad...With Indy1919 as well..(unless his wife is with him and then I am on my best behavior...)

Hey now! I've never heard anything but uncontrollable laughter (at my expense) when I've been there! :):

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Hey now! I've never heard anything but uncontrollable laughter (at my expense) when I've been there! :):

You do realize Indy1919 has been taking your hearing aid battery out before you get out of the car right...I told you he wasn't "hitting on you" but I knew one day I would have to explain why he always started fondling your ear when you were ten miles out...

So when was the last time you bought a wood stock gun that reeked of cosmoline??? Eh???? We are talking about an intervention...Six months ago we thought it was a passing fad but now????? We are not so sure...:)

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Insurance....

I've read a lot of insurance policies and been involved in a few cases. If you leave the front door of your house open and someone empties your house, they pay off.

What I think is being confused here is the concept of preventing crime with certainty (which does not exist) versus reducing your chances of being a victim/making it harder for you to be victimized. Just because nothing can absolutely prevent a burglary doesn't mean there are not things that reduce the likelihood of a successful burglary.

Few things in life are a toggle switch. Most are a dimmer.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I've read a lot of insurance policies and been involved in a few cases. If you leave the front door of your house open and someone empties your house, they pay off.

What I think is being confused here is the concept of preventing crime with certainty (which does not exist) versus reducing your chances of being a victim/making it harder for you to be victimized. Just because nothing can absolutely prevent a burglary doesn't mean there are not things that reduce the likelihood of a successful burglary.

Few things in life are a toggle switch. Most are a dimmer.

I will have to check but I think we get a break on our premium (at our home) for having ADT...It seems like, (but I could be wrong) that we got a break on the premium here at the shop because of the iron bars and the steel poles out front...I can't remember for sure...But you are right...They will pay out...I should have said "insurance premium"...

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Yeah, that's what we need, another law to increase the cost of doing business and punish the otherwise law abiding to try and prevent criminals from doing what they are going to do anyway.

Oh yeah, that should be purple.

I like what Kut and Kirk proposed BTW.....

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    I'm going to the Way-Back Machine for this story. Many years ago in Ft. Wayne was Conroy's Guns, small home base gun store on N Wells, South of State. (I Bought a Belgium Browning A-5 3" Magnum from him but that's another story) (Still have that Beautiful Shotgun) Conroy Retired and sold the Biz to a younger guy who's name I can't remember. He moved the Biz South, Georgia I think. The owner got Info somehow that there was a Smash & Grab planed for his Store. 3 Thugs drove a Stolen car through the front of the store early the next morning. As they entered the store on foot the store Owner opened up with an AR 15, Killing all 3. Maybe some of you N/E Folks remember his name. These 3 were not afforded Lenience by the Court, Case Closed.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    You do realize Indy1919 has been taking your hearing aid battery out before you get out of the car right...I told you he wasn't "hitting on you" but I knew one day I would have to explain why he always started fondling your ear when you were ten miles out...

So when was the last time you bought a wood stock gun that reeked of cosmoline??? Eh???? We are talking about an intervention...Six months ago we thought it was a passing fad but now????? We are not so sure...:)
    In all seriousness, I am ready for some old wood and steel, cosmoline optional! And fittingly enough, the last AR I built had wood furniture. But yeah, I've been getting the itch for old stuff again. If I wasn't already past mid life, I'd say I had a mid life crisis. :): Fortunately I think I'm coming out of it.

As for indy1919, here I thought it was my aftershave! (Hey, it was good enough for my grandpa, it's good enough for me (he died in 1971 at the age of 92)). :)

HAIKarate_AfterShave.jpg

header-hai.png

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    In all seriousness, I am ready for some old wood and steel, cosmoline optional! And fittingly enough, the last AR I built had wood furniture. But yeah, I've been getting the itch for old stuff again. If I wasn't already past mid life, I'd say I had a mid life crisis. :): Fortunately I think I'm coming out of it.

As for indy1919, here I thought it was my aftershave! (Hey, it was good enough for my grandpa, it's good enough for me (he died in 1971 at the age of 92)). :)

HAIKarate_AfterShave.jpg

header-hai.png

I remember that from Dad's night stand. I can imagine that smell right now.

There should be a law against it - you know "common sense".

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I'm going to the Way-Back Machine for this story. Many years ago in Ft. Wayne was Conroy's Guns, small home base gun store on N Wells, South of State. (I Bought a Belgium Browning A-5 3" Magnum from him but that's another story) (Still have that Beautiful Shotgun) Conroy Retired and sold the Biz to a younger guy who's name I can't remember. He moved the Biz South, Georgia I think. The owner got Info somehow that there was a Smash & Grab planed for his Store. 3 Thugs drove a Stolen car through the front of the store early the next morning. As they entered the store on foot the store Owner opened up with an AR 15, Killing all 3. Maybe some of you N/E Folks remember his name. These 3 were not afforded Lenience by the Court, Case Closed.

JMHO, but THAT is the WAY, it SHOULD BE !!!!!

Top Bottom