Another gun store robbed. Time for a law change.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • USA#1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    In the forest
    Seeing so many gun stores being robbed is something that has bothered me lately too. I don't want to see someone open a gun store in a failed cupcake shop storefront rented on some retail strip with no guns locked up at night and a front door that is easily defeated and then take no responsibility when it gets robbed and a bunch of guns go into criminals hands. It really sucks. That being said, the last thing I want to see is not government intervention, rather personal responsibility and integrity ( you know...the whole doing the right thing when nobody is looking/enacting laws to force you to do it). I would like to see the gun stores take more preventative measures, ideally locking the guns in safe. I know of one store that I support that does this every night preventing guns from being stolen when thieves attempted to break into the building and steal them. Its a pain in the ass but it's the right thing to do.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...But there's no law telling her she can't walk down that street. In essence that's what the OP is asking for...

My point is that some claim that mentioning ways that a person can lessen their chances of being a victim of a crime is "blaming the victim". It's not. It's common sense.

Were reasonable precautions taken to protect the merchandise? Could they have done more? Questions worth asking- no additional laws necessary.

Cutting off the discussion by saying "blame the criminals" (well, duh) or "you're blaming the victim" is not helpful.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Without reading the whole thread as my caveat. I dont' think we need stricter penalties for anything. We do need to stop the revolving door. I read on this forum and other places, and from conversations, that one of the greatest frustrations LE faces is seeing the same perps back out on the street within days or even hours of being arrested. Why? I'm all about constitutional protections, but why are people being arrested for violent and dangerous felonies being kicked? Especially so soon?

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    "There ought to be a law". The battle cry of CONTROLLERS (liberals, progressives, gun-grabbers, large soda-grabbers &ct.) It is a shame to see guys like Mike the gun guy and others Siding with the controllers.

I know we should not blame the victim but gun store owners make these robberies too easy. We need to pass a law that requires if you want to sell guns keep them ALL locked in a safe at night. This keeping them in glass cases or with a wire cable is just not being responsible for the times we live in. I know it takes time I know it cost money. Too bad. You want to sell guns keep them all in a safe when the store is closed. We should all be responsible gun owners and do what we can to keep them away from the wrong people.

What do you all think.

Words taken right out of my mouth.

When you decide to control how others handle their LEGAL private affairs, you are a controller.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    My point is that some claim that mentioning ways that a person can lessen their chances of being a victim of a crime is "blaming the victim". It's not. It's common sense.

Were reasonable precautions taken to protect the merchandise? Could they have done more? Questions worth asking- no additional laws necessary.

Cutting off the discussion by saying "blame the criminals" (well, duh) or "you're blaming the victim" is not helpful.

I'm not victim blaming or accusing someone victim blaming. If they didn't apply a reasonable amount of security, then yeah, they're dumb. However, this thread is about enacting new laws, not just internet bravado.

Taking precautions is a good thing. Govt mandating precautions is a bad thing.

...free market and all that stuff...

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Why not just demand 24/7 armed guards and shoot the thieves? :dunno: Of course then the thugs will show up with what they think is sufficient firepower to combat the guards.

I think if someone can not be trusted by society to exercise their deity deigned rights they should not be trusted to be on the streets period. If they can't be trusted to be released ever they should be put down, three strikes and you're done.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    So how much more protection would a gun store need to make it harder? Steel bars concrete to the ground in front of the store? Turrets?

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Seeing so many gun stores being robbed is something that has bothered me lately too. I don't want to see someone open a gun store in a failed cupcake shop storefront rented on some retail strip with no guns locked up at night and a front door that is easily defeated and then take no responsibility when it gets robbed and a bunch of guns go into criminals hands. do.
    Do you have any examples of that happening?

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    It's an interesting discussion, but there seems to be no acknowedgement that all these additional costs to the store will have to passed on to you, the consumer. And we know that everyone here would be happy with that.

Frost49

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Tim Buk 2
    Local Gun shop in New Castle bought an old bank with the bank vault still in the building. Black Bullet Firearms (a little plug there). He is in the process of remodeling the building. I don't think he'll have to worry about someone getting in to gun vault.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I know we should not blame the victim but gun store owners make these robberies too easy. We need to pass a law that requires if you want to sell guns keep them ALL locked in a safe at night. This keeping them in glass cases or with a wire cable is just not being responsible for the times we live in. I know it takes time I know it cost money. Too bad. You want to sell guns keep them all in a safe when the store is closed. We should all be responsible gun owners and do what we can to keep them away from the wrong people.

What do you all think.

There's already a law that stealing cars is illegal. There's already a law that crashing them thru a store is illegal. There's already a law that stealing things from gunstores is illegal. Need I continue?

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    There's already a law that stealing cars is illegal. There's already a law that crashing them thru a store is illegal. There's already a law that stealing things from gunstores is illegal. Need I continue?

But those laws are aimed at criminals. That's where you have it all wrong. Criminals aren't very good at following laws. In addition, they tend to be dangerous and sometimes fight back. Therefore, you need to pass more laws aimed at the law abiding and victims so that you can fine and imprison them instead. Much less dangerous and they tend to have more money to confiscate.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    But those laws are aimed at criminals. That's where you have it all wrong. Criminals aren't very good at following laws. In addition, they tend to be dangerous and sometimes fight back. Therefore, you need to pass more laws aimed at the law abiding and victims so that you can fine and imprison them instead. Much less dangerous and they tend to have more money to confiscate.

Crap, I forgot! Please forgive me!:bowdown:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    So how much more protection would a gun store need to make it harder? Steel bars concrete to the ground in front of the store? Turrets?

Turrets, I like the idea of turrets. I've thought about potting them on my house.

Top Bottom