Another gun store robbed. Time for a law change.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 96.4%
    27   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    I know we should not blame the victim but gun store owners make these robberies too easy. We need to pass a law that requires if you want to sell guns keep them ALL locked in a safe at night. This keeping them in glass cases or with a wire cable is just not being responsible for the times we live in. I know it takes time I know it cost money. Too bad. You want to sell guns keep them all in a safe when the store is closed. We should all be responsible gun owners and do what we can to keep them away from the wrong people.

What do you all think.

Words taken right out of my mouth.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I understand the sentiment, but the market will probably correct this. I imagine insurance companies don't like paying out on stuff like this, so I imagine that if they're going to stay in business, the insurance company will "penalize" them enough, that it would be in the next guy's best interest, not to be so dumb.
    Lots of truth here Kut. The actuaries in an insurance company will not take too long to figure out which gun shops present the greater level of risk. The down side is that it does take time and money lost for this to work. But, in the end, it will work.

I think rather than violence, we can obtain those goals with consent.

How about this alternative, nra: above the line tax deductions, which may be taken in full for gun stores that purchase safes, cameras and security alarms.

Let's expand this to the general population. Everyone can write off a gun safe in full in one year, above the line.

Gun safety? Sure, OK, all gun schooling, tuition, travel expanses, ammo for class are written off above the line.

What do you think?
    Excellent idea to help shorten the timeline and money loss before the market automatically adjusts to the risk levels presented by unsecured guns.

While I agree that reasonable precautions should be taken, I'm not sure more laws are the way to do that. Perhaps actually segregating the criminals from society via a lengthy incarceration would cut back a bit on burglarizing of all types.

20 years picking up trash and filling pot holes on county roads no possibility of parole for first offense.

To add to these, how about either a mandatory doubling of the sentence for any crime committed with a gun or in an attempt to illegally obtain a gun. Or, maybe an added penalty such as a restriction of privileges when incarcerated for any crime involving a gun. Used a gun in a robbery or tried to steal a gun in a burglary? No TV for the length of the sentence. I know, there should be no TV for anyone that's incarcerated, but there must be some way to separate the people that abuse guns from the normal prison population and make them more uncomfortable in jail. Some of those moron's might just think twice about using a gun if it means they don't get a pudding cup with dinner the next time they are in jail.

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    I know we should not blame the victim but gun store owners make these robberies too easy. We need to pass a law that requires if you want to sell guns keep them ALL locked in a safe at night. This keeping them in glass cases or with a wire cable is just not being responsible for the times we live in. I know it takes time I know it cost money. Too bad. You want to sell guns keep them all in a safe when the store is closed. We should all be responsible gun owners and do what we can to keep them away from the wrong people.

What do you all think.
    Cant say what I think. The mods don't like that sort of thing. I think punishing criminals to help reduce crime is a better idea. Infringing on the freedom of the law abiding because of the actions of criminals is mental gymnastics I'm not willing to do. Seems pretty stupid to me.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Might not be a bad idea, putting 150 Taurus or Bersa in the safe every freaking night, having to unload all the next day, arrange in cases.
    Customers who like lower end gear don't mind dings and scratches.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My guess is that those breaking into gun shops (isn't that a federal crime ?) are most probably of some criminal history.
    Hard to be a repeat offender when dead.

That will solve the problem.

Of course with the history of recent gun store breaks ins and other, doing that will cause a few riots/protests, block highways.

Too friggin' bad.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I love the binary nature that that these discussions start out with.

"Criminals gonna criminal, no changes necessary" vs. "Make laws to to prevent this"

As some astute INGOers upstream have pointed out, there are ways to encourage better security while not foisting liability on the shop owner. If we were to take the "criminals gonna criminal/there's nothing we can do" seriously, then why have locks on the doors at all?

Likewise, more laws and blame shifting don't seem like the right path either.

Kut hit what first came to my mind- the insurers requiring a certain level of security in order to get policies. Kirk's idea to encourage additional measures through tax deductions make sense too.

Anyhoo- "victim blaming" can we stop beating that drum? Suggesting that one can take steps to reduce the chances of being a victim is not, somehow, irrelevant or offensive.

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    People are still astonished that we pack away all our guns every night. It isn't fun, it isn't free...but its one more layer of defense against robbery and getting more guns on the street that shouldn't be.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA

What do you all think.

Wow, let's make Burglary & Theft Illegal - All Problems Solved :rolleyes:

RMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    McCordsville
    I'd rather see the thieves held responsible for any crimes ever committed with any of those items stolen with no statute of limitations than put more burden on innocent merchants. If your bestest friend that you gave or sold a stolen gun to decides to commit murder 10 years later, you should be charged for the crime as well because it might not have happened if you hadn't burglarized the gun store to begin with. Locks may keep honest people honest but they don't prevent crime.

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    I understand the sentiment, but the market will probably correct this. I imagine insurance companies don't like paying out on stuff like this, so I imagine that if they're going to stay in business, the insurance company will "penalize" them enough, that it would be in the next guy's best interest, not to be so dumb.

My thoughts exactly. Losing sale stock = losing profit; and the insurers will either up the rates or cancel if the loss history becomes too great.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    To say this wasn't planned, is a bit of a stretch. They stole the car the day before to use. Had a back up vehicle waiting. YEah, not planned at all.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I remember the first time I went to Lengel's gun shop............and saw the "moat".

No water, just a ditch around the building. Can't remember if there were big rocks also along the edge of the parking area.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I don't think this is an unreasonable request and it goes a long way to show we want to be responsible. We all love our guns. I'm just asking you to look at it from the other side that wants to take guns from all of us.

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask people to NOT TAKE THINGS THAT DO NOT BELONG TO THEM!

I counsel my 16 year old daughter to walk down dark streets in sketchy parts of town alone with her earbuds in because rape is against the law.

But there's no law telling her she can't walk down that street. In essence that's what the OP is asking for.

The institutional restriction of freedom is rarely the correct answer to the evil that perpetrates our world.

Top Bottom