Another gun store robbed. Time for a law change.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I know we should not blame the victim but gun store owners make these robberies too easy. We need to pass a law that requires if you want to sell guns keep them ALL locked in a safe at night. This keeping them in glass cases or with a wire cable is just not being responsible for the times we live in. I know it takes time I know it cost money. Too bad. You want to sell guns keep them all in a safe when the store is closed. We should all be responsible gun owners and do what we can to keep them away from the wrong people.

What do you all think.

I'm going to try to channel an infamous INGO shooter. His immortal screen name was hornadylnl.

Here goes:

A government powerful enough to force stores to lock their goods up is a government powerful enough to...

Well, that's the part I can't channel. He was much better at the catchy ending part. But you get the idea. I'd rather not look to legislation to solve this problem. If the market doesn't feel comfortable with their off hours security it should find other shops.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I'm going to try to channel an infamous INGO shooter. His immortal screen name was hornadylnl.

Here goes:

A government powerful enough to force stores to lock their goods up is a government powerful enough to...

Well, that's the part I can't channel. He was much better at the catchy ending part. But you get the idea. I'd rather not look to legislation to solve this problem. If the market doesn't feel comfortable with their off hours security it should find other shops.

I miss my dawg Hornadylnl

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I know we should not blame the victim but gun store owners make these robberies too easy. We need to pass a law that requires if you want to sell guns keep them ALL locked in a safe at night. This keeping them in glass cases or with a wire cable is just not being responsible for the times we live in. I know it takes time I know it cost money. Too bad. You want to sell guns keep them all in a safe when the store is closed. We should all be responsible gun owners and do what we can to keep them away from the wrong people.

What do you all think.

I don't think this is an unreasonable request and it goes a long way to show we want to be responsible. We all love our guns. I'm just asking you to look at it from the other side that wants to take guns from all of us.

So, you're saying that your safe is unable to be stolen/broken into?

And I suppose jewelry stores never get robbed

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Robbery = someone uses force or threat of force against people to steal things. This isn't a robbery. It's a burglary.

Moving on:

Brian took reasonable precautions. Given how narrow the back alley is, I'm surprised anyone could get enough speed to break open the wall. I'm also not sure if it would be legal to block it. I seem to recall that once upon a time he did so and had to stop, but I can't remember why.

While I agree that reasonable precautions should be taken, I'm not sure more laws are the way to do that. Perhaps actually segregating the criminals from society via a lengthy incarceration would cut back a bit on burglarizing of all types.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Robbery = someone uses force or threat of force against people to steal things. This isn't a robbery. It's a burglary.

Moving on:

Brian took reasonable precautions. Given how narrow the back alley is, I'm surprised anyone could get enough speed to break open the wall. I'm also not sure if it would be legal to block it. I seem to recall that once upon a time he did so and had to stop, but I can't remember why.

While I agree that reasonable precautions should be taken, I'm not sure more laws are the way to do that. Perhaps actually segregating the criminals from society via a lengthy incarceration would cut back a bit on burglarizing of all types.
    Again BBI, we agree.
    i couldn't believe they could get enough speed to bust through where they did either. I guess he needs bollards all the way around the building.
    If we would enforce the current laws AND keep offenders in jail/prison for the full length of their sentences , maybe SOME would think twice before committing crimes.
    (I think he couldn't block the "alley" because of the tire shop (if it's still there) complained about needing the access.)

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    I disagree. These are not spur of the moment deals. I've had contact with at least 8 of the individuals that have commited these. They may not be the BEST plans but believe when I say that they are planned. Hardening the oustide of the structure will go much further than attempting to put 100's of weapons into numerous safes every nght.
    Punish the damn P.O.S. that are doing it. I just saw where one of the people that did one apprx 3 years ago was back in the news for an armed robbery . Love our justice system of catch and release.

Bob

Well, at least mandatory minimums are keeping those dangerous folks convicted of possession safely locked away.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    i dont think the rape and buy a safe are a fair parallel....two different things and requiring a safe to run a gun shop is not a bad idea. It seems reasonable given the amount of smash and grabs you see with what is at stake. I think bringing rape into has the ring of demagoguery. I think the suggestion is practical and would make thieves think twice knowing the have to smash the truck into the store backwards, locate the safe, move the safe, and haul off the safe all in about five minutes. I just don't think the typical thief will go for that.

Folks say harsher penatlies but nobody has a clue who these dudes are. Did they catch the guys that pulled the smash and grab at Elmores (by the way Elmores had there stuff in a safe and they got away with a shotgun and a couple other guns if i recall--not the whole inventory by just having bolt cutters)?

She was "asking for it" huh?

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    I used to have to load a whole jewelry store into a safe every night--it sucked but we never got robbed --just saying....i dont think it should be a law but it should be a consideration
    I think smaller shops may be able to comply, but larger shops with more firearm inventory would suffer tremendously from this law. Not only from the high cost of several large & expensive safes, but also from the increased employee hours needed to load/unload the safes every morning/evening of every business day or gun show visit.

This law would surely result in stores closing, or passing the cost on to the customers.

Like others have said, the current laws need to be enforced better, and we need more severe punishments for these criminals.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I understand the sentiment, but the market will probably correct this. I imagine insurance companies don't like paying out on stuff like this, so I imagine that if they're going to stay in business, the insurance company will "penalize" them enough, that it would be in the next guy's best interest, not to be so dumb.

I think you do make a very good point here Kut.

I personally hate to see more laws. I get where you are coming from OP but let's "make a new law" (another law) would not be my solution.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    I used to have to load a whole jewelry store into a safe every night--it sucked but we never got robbed --just saying....i dont think it should be a law but it should be a consideration
    you were never "robbed", not because you locked things up every night, but because they never hit you.
    I've been in Brian's shoes. We had a burglary, smashed a stolen car into the back of our gun store. We locked all of our guns up, every night. The would be burglars got away with nothing. So if locking things up every night keeps you from getting "robbed", explain to me why our store was targeted?

Oh, and I quote robbed because ITP was not robbed, they had a burglary. I was robbed a month ago when someone took from my hand, by force.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    Safes aren't impossible to crack open. Most safes under 2K$ can be cut open with an angle grinder in about 5 to 10 minutes.

But moving a 1500lb safe, fully loaded, that was anchored, before police arrive is impossible.

It would take a lot more then 5-10 minutes, I'll tell you that.

SouthernStar25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 6, 2013
    West Of The Fields
    Perhaps actually segregating the criminals from society via a lengthy incarceration would cut back ..............

THIS! Such a simple solution, yet those in a position to do so don't have the resolve to actually follow through. It is indisputable that holding folks responsible for their actions and protecting the public by imposing long prsion sentences to those who choose to continually break the law would go a long way towards reducing the crime rate.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF

Moving on:

That's not the way our Legislature and courts are headed, however. It's going to be more difficult to even hold someone on bond in future...

RMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    McCordsville

Moving on:

I agree. Enforcing the laws we already have and imposing suitable punishment would probably eliminate a lot of problems. If any new laws are needed, I would say the laws governing the penalties for crimes need to be adjusted. Anymore, new laws seem to inconvenience the innocent more than the criminals.

Top Bottom