Another gun store robbed. Time for a law change.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    I know we should not blame the victim but gun store owners make these robberies too easy. We need to pass a law that requires if you want to sell guns keep them ALL locked in a safe at night. This keeping them in glass cases or with a wire cable is just not being responsible for the times we live in. I know it takes time I know it cost money. Too bad. You want to sell guns keep them all in a safe when the store is closed. We should all be responsible gun owners and do what we can to keep them away from the wrong people.

What do you all think.

Was this suppose to be purple?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Thieves are going to steal.
    Make it harder to get in the building and they steal a truck and drive through the wall.
    Make it harder and they will find a way around what ever you do to stop/slow them.

Thieves no longer fear the law. They are brazen and just have no fear.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I don't think this is an unreasonable request and it goes a long way to show we want to be responsible. We all love our guns. I'm just asking you to look at it from the other side that wants to take guns from all of us.

I understand the sentiment, but the market will probably correct this. I imagine insurance companies don't like paying out on stuff like this, so I imagine that if they're going to stay in business, the insurance company will "penalize" them enough, that it would be in the next guy's best interest, not to be so dumb.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Most of these are not that well planned and they count on getting in and out quickly before the alarm brings the cops.

I disagree. These are not spur of the moment deals. I've had contact with at least 8 of the individuals that have commited these. They may not be the BEST plans but believe when I say that they are planned. Hardening the oustide of the structure will go much further than attempting to put 100's of weapons into numerous safes every nght.
    Punish the damn P.O.S. that are doing it. I just saw where one of the people that did one apprx 3 years ago was back in the news for an armed robbery . Love our justice system of catch and release.

Bob

deo62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    Like Hillary doesn't have enough to whine about, we don't need to hand her more. As Mr Kut says-This will work itself out. But Heaven forbid we really punish the criminals for fear that we offend someone!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I know we should not blame the victim but gun store owners make these robberies too easy. We need to pass a law that requires if you want to sell guns keep them ALL locked in a safe at night. This keeping them in glass cases or with a wire cable is just not being responsible for the times we live in. I know it takes time I know it cost money. Too bad. You want to sell guns keep them all in a safe when the store is closed. We should all be responsible gun owners and do what we can to keep them away from the wrong people.

What do you all think.

I think rather than violence, we can obtain those goals with consent.

How about this alternative, nra: above the line tax deductions, which may be taken in full for gun stores that purchase safes, cameras and security alarms.

Let's expand this to the general population. Everyone can write off a gun safe in full in one year, above the line.

Gun safety? Sure, OK, all gun schooling, tuition, travel expanses, ammo for class are written off above the line.

What do you think?

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Lets go the other way.....

I don't think a LGS should have to install locks!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    20 years picking up trash and filling pot holes on county roads no possibility of parole for first offense.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Law-abiding gun owners and FFL dealers already are responsible. We jump through every silly hoop .gov puts in our way, no matter how ineffective we know the laws to be.

You're suggesting we add another hurdle that puts the burden of compliance on the law-abiding? And the gun control crowd hasn't even demanded it yet.

Sure he did, can't you read?

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    113   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    We need to pass a law that requires if you want to sell guns to keep them ALL locked in a safe at night. You want to sell guns keep them all in a safe when the store is closed.

What do you all think.

I think smaller shops may be able to comply, but larger shops with more firearm inventory would suffer tremendously from this law. Not only from the high cost of several large & expensive safes, but also from the increased employee hours needed to load/unload the safes every morning/evening of every business day or gun show visit.

This law would surely result in stores closing, or passing the cost on to the customers.

Like others have said, the current laws need to be enforced better, and we need more severe punishments for these criminals.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    I know nothing is perfect and that safes and ATMs are taken all the time. Trust me I know! It just seems if we could make it harder and longer to get the guns them it would cut down on the robberies. Most of these are not that well planned and they count on getting in and out quickly before the alarm brings the cops.

The store had bollards, locked doors, and (I'm assuming) an alarm system. You can see some of the external protections from these images from their Facebook.
    313416_10150314487459818_26540753_n.jpg

303065_10150314487639818_796999242_n.jpg

So what do you think that compulsory safe storage laws would do? Are you going to have officers in each store as they close up to ensure every firearm is locked up? Or will it just be random? Where is the extra LEO manpower coming from? Any other businesses that should forfeit their 4th Amendment rights, or just gun stores?

Now suppose that these laws are in place and someone breaks in without very obvious external damage and guns that were not in safes were stolen. Do you think the store is going to report it? That means that the thieves get away, or there is a delay in informing law enforcement which may just as bad.

Now you have agreed to secure storage laws in practice so now those attempting to degrade the Second Amendment will press for reasonable and common sense measures in the homes of private citizens, all for the children of course. Now your firearm must be secured in a manner that is wholly impractical for self defense. Now we can't use firearms for self defense, so why have them they'll argue. We can go to the Canadian/German model and your firearms are locked up in a gun club. Congratulations. The Second Amendment is neutered and is a right on paper only. Oh, and your 4th Amendment rights are gone too. Like the UK the police will show up on your doorstep unannounced and with no need of a warrant. That firearm you had out of your safe for cleaning when they arrived? No secured. You broke the law. No more guns for you.

You do not punish people who are the victims of crime when they have done no wrong. You punish those who broke the laws.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    8 ft I-beam buried 4ft in the ground, spaced so a car can not make it through. Just like some walmarts.

The store had bollards, locked doors, and (I'm assuming) an alarm system. You can see some of the external protections from these images from their Facebook.

So what do you think that compulsory safe storage laws would do? Are you going to have officers in each store as they close up to ensure every firearm is locked up? Or will it just be random? Where is the extra LEO manpower coming from? Any other businesses that should forfeit their 4th Amendment rights, or just gun stores?

Now suppose that these laws are in place and someone breaks in without very obvious external damage and guns that were not in safes were stolen. Do you think the store is going to report it? That means that the thieves get away, or there is a delay in informing law enforcement which may just as bad.

Now you have agreed to secure storage laws in practice so now those attempting to degrade the Second Amendment will press for reasonable and common sense measures in the homes of private citizens, all for the children of course. Now your firearm must be secured in a manner that is wholly impractical for self defense. Now we can't use firearms for self defense, so why have them they'll argue. We can go to the Canadian/German model and your firearms are locked up in a gun club. Congratulations. The Second Amendment is neutered and is a right on paper only. Oh, and your 4th Amendment rights are gone too. Like the UK the police will show up on your doorstep unannounced and with no need of a warrant. That firearm you had out of your safe for cleaning when they arrived? No secured. You broke the law. No more guns for you.

You do not punish people who are the victims of crime when they have done no wrong. You punish those who broke the laws.

Apparently not ENOUGH bollards. Looks like its time to ring the place with them. or these

Stalwart Post and Rail | Stand Alone Anti-Ram Crash Barrier | Ameristar Fence Products - Call 1.888.333.3422

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Criminals often return to the scene of the crime. Did the police interview the papa John's dude? He looks shady.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN

What do you all think.

Lol.

I think you should change your name. This one doesn't fit you.

Top Bottom