Another gun store robbed. Time for a law change.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    The Paomnnehal pweor of the hmuan mind.

Aoccdrinig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinirvtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltters in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Grammar NAZIs attend.

Also, it's difficult getting around spell check nowadays.

Lelliott8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2016
    Crawfordsville
    I know we should not blame the victim but gun store owners make these robberies too easy. We need to pass a law that requires if you want to sell guns keep them ALL locked in a safe at night. This keeping them in glass cases or with a wire cable is just not being responsible for the times we live in. I know it takes time I know it cost money. Too bad. You want to sell guns keep them all in a safe when the store is closed. We should all be responsible gun owners and do what we can to keep them away from the wrong people.

What do you all think.
    Goodness, we certainly don't need more laws! What we need is to actually punish people who are committing crimes. For example, you will notice that race riots have been breaking out whenever the media reports a black man has been killed by police. Why do they continue to riot? Because they know there will be no consequences for setting fire to a building, or quickly stealing some items from a store during the chaos. People are noticing the light sentencing, or there is a perception of light sentencing.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Has the OP been back again to claim this thread is a clever ruse to get us talking?

[video=youtube;9L0fS7ZgAJA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L0fS7ZgAJA[/video]

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I knew a guy who's gun store got robbed when the robbers drove around the side of, and then backed a stolen pick-up truck through the concrete block side-wall of his shop...and one 'hooded' guy crawled through the hole and proceeded to reach into the back of the gun cases and hand handguns out through the opening pushed through the wall. The truck was found 2 days later and several of the guns were recovered via police activities...but it was a unique way to rob a gun store!

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    e04aj9.jpg

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The Paomnnehal pweor of the hmuan mind.

Aoccdrinig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinirvtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltters in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Grammar NAZIs attend.

Also, it's difficult getting around spell check nowadays.

Wow. Sometimes dyslexia comes in handy.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I know we should not blame the victim but gun store owners make these robberies too easy. We need to pass a law that requires if you want to sell guns keep them ALL locked in a safe at night. This keeping them in glass cases or with a wire cable is just not being responsible for the times we live in. I know it takes time I know it cost money. Too bad. You want to sell guns keep them all in a safe when the store is closed. We should all be responsible gun owners and do what we can to keep them away from the wrong people.

What do you all think.

...because creating more laws will stop bad people from doing bad things.

Putting more onus on the law-abiding in a futile effort to thwart scofflaws will only lead to more risks and reduced liberty for the law-abiding.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    You know, maybe these kinds of ideas have merit...

Indy has seen a "rash" of murders of late. If we passed a law that ALL citizens over 18 (and otherwise "proper") MUST get their carry license, MUST purchase a handgun, MUST take both a basic safety AND basic marksmanship course, and MUST keep their handgun on them at all times, just think of all the lives we would save. THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

Heck, if we can force folks to purchase over-priced (and under valued) health care, why not force them to protect themselves?

Purple if you think necessary.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I love the binary nature that that these discussions start out with.

"Criminals gonna criminal, no changes necessary" vs. "Make laws to to prevent this"

As some astute INGOers upstream have pointed out, there are ways to encourage better security while not foisting liability on the shop owner. If we were to take the "criminals gonna criminal/there's nothing we can do" seriously, then why have locks on the doors at all?

Likewise, more laws and blame shifting don't seem like the right path either.

Kut hit what first came to my mind- the insurers requiring a certain level of security in order to get policies. Kirk's idea to encourage additional measures through tax deductions make sense too.

Anyhoo- "victim blaming" can we stop beating that drum? Suggesting that one can take steps to reduce the chances of being a victim is not, somehow, irrelevant or offensive.

The victim in this incident DID take every reasonable step to reduce the chances of being victimized.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    My point is that some claim that mentioning ways that a person can lessen their chances of being a victim of a crime is "blaming the victim". It's not. It's common sense.

Were reasonable precautions taken to protect the merchandise? Could they have done more? Questions worth asking- no additional laws necessary.

Cutting off the discussion by saying "blame the criminals" (well, duh) or "you're blaming the victim" is not helpful.

Except that, the OP was not doing that. The OP was asking for the State to mandate specific actions. It is not the taking of actions with which some take issue; rather, it is using the power of the State to force the taking of those actions.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I think that after what you propose is implemented, and the prices of firearms, ammo, and accessories, are adjusted accordingly, you're going to post a complaint post on INGO about how expensive all the stuff at the LGS is! Here's a thought, let's tell everyone of these useless scum to quit taking others' property? And when these dirtbags are caught, and we've seen that they've been on the "catch and release" plan of our local court systems for years, why don't we then blame the police for not arresting them good enough?(Not meant as a police slight, just an absurd answer to an absurd solution.)

Not to mention that, in addition to price increases, the other result would be that the barrier-to-entry for an LGS would be raised so much that it would significantly reduce the number of LGS in operation, thereby adversely impacting the ability of all law-abiding people to exercise the constitutionally protected right to keep and bear arms. (For example, the District of Columbia has exactly one LGS. How is that working out?)

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Im still here. Ive been busy call a few law makers and running the safe idea past them. A bell cant be unrung....

You should call Jim Lucas and run your idea past him. He's the best legislator for introducing firearms freedom legislation in Indiana.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Wow some of you on here are just easy pickings. I am glad that some of you could see what I was doing. Shew I was worried.

In all reality im just making a reasonable suggestion. Like it or don't like it the discussion is what is important.

The Bloomberg-approved term is common-sense.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    You know, maybe these kinds of ideas have merit...

Indy has seen a "rash" of murders of late. If we passed a law that ALL citizens over 18 (and otherwise "proper") MUST get their carry license, MUST purchase a handgun, MUST take both a basic safety AND basic marksmanship course, and MUST keep their handgun on them at all times, just think of all the lives we would save. THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

Heck, if we can force folks to purchase over-priced (and under valued) health care, why not force them to protect themselves?

Purple if you think necessary.

Sure, if we're going to mandate medical insurance we should mandate carrying life insurance, too. ;)

Purple was noted.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Look, Democrats are NOT lazy, they are a crafty, beguiling bunch! They can figure out how to overcome ANY security measure put in place. Just look at our military, and government LE agencies as a whole, they "lose" millions in armament per year. In regard to the military, they have, at least, monthly serial number inventories on small arms, yet they still get them stolen! Nothing can be done to stop thieves, except kill them when caught! I posit, that, while it may take a few public executuions, the overall rate of theft will go down with severe consequences!?

Top Bottom