• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • johnny45

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    If I am not mistaken, the parent company of the Journal News is that same as that of the Indianapolis Star, Gannet.

I seem to recall too that the Indianapolis Star was working on a similar report about a year and a half to two years ago.

Seems like a good enough reason for a subscriber to cancel.

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Would indicate that you need to limit what you say or what is printed about you in the newspaper. The newspaper is not your friend or supporter.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Would indicate that you need to limit what you say or what is printed about you in the newspaper. The newspaper is not your friend or supporter.
    The news paper took the information from public record. There was no consent to its publication given by the people whos' addresses it lists.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Let us hope the Media is brought to justice for Assisting a Criminal and sued civilly.

You know better than anyone that unless you have the burglar in court admitting he used the list, you are unlikely to win a case. We can assume and guess on the motives but in the end, it's the difference between what we "know" and what we can "prove". Guns taken in burglaries are fairly common.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    You know better than anyone that unless you have the burglar in court admitting he used the list, you are unlikely to win a case. We can assume and guess on the motives but in the end, it's the difference between what we "know" and what we can "prove". Guns taken in burglaries are fairly common.

Ah, but if there's a string of burglaries at homes listed in the article... what would (should) reasonable people (i.e., a jury) believe. Or for the sake of argument, the standard of proof in a tort case would be preponderance.

The fact that the publishers DON'T want similar information about themselves made public speaks volumes.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Ah, but if there's a string of burglaries at homes listed in the article... what would (should) reasonable people (i.e., a jury) believe. Or for the sake of argument, the standard of proof in a tort case would be preponderance.

The fact that the publishers DON'T want similar information about themselves made public speaks volumes.

Sure, one would think there is a connection. However, if the list published had EVERYONE listed who had guns, does that mean that anyone getting their guns stolen would have been ok without the list? What I would like to see is the burglary stats for the areas in question. If there are numerous burglaries and this is the only one where guns were taken, the connection to the list is thin. I'm not supporting the publishing of the list, just trying to interject some reason into it. Just because a news report made a connection does not mean there actually is one. Again, without a burglar admitting to using the list, good luck getting "justice". PROOF.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    You know better than anyone that unless you have the burglar in court admitting he used the list, you are unlikely to win a case.

You don't need the burglar admitting he used the list anyone than one needs a defendant admitting his role in the Conspiracy to __________. You do not need an explicit agreement to prove Conspiracy.

We have the paper publishing a list of Murder, Rape, Burglary targets. We have Burglaries after the publication of this shopping list. This is evidence of Conspiracy in which the burglar took a step in furtherance of the Conspiracy.

Consider this, if someone mailed the names and addresses of the police department there to every offender in the Department of Correction what would happen to that person after a couple of Burglaries of the police officers' homes?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    You don't need the burglar admitting he used the list anyone than one needs a defendant admitting his role in the Conspiracy to __________. You do not need an explicit agreement to prove Conspiracy.

We have the paper publishing a list of Murder, Rape, Burglary targets. We have Burglaries after the publication of this shopping list. This is evidence of Conspiracy in which the burglar took a step in furtherance of the Conspiracy.

Consider this, if someone mailed the names and addresses of the police department there to every offender in the Department of Correction what would happen to that person after a couple of Burglaries of the police officers' homes?

We have lots of officers houses burglarized already, no list. It would be hard to prove causality if there was a list since the incidents occurred BEFORE any list published. Like I said, if there were NO burglaries before the gun list was published then now there are only burglaries to gun owners, then there MIGHT be a good case. Burglaries targeting guns is not uncommon here in the city and there is no list. Don't need one. Facebook, neighbors, friends, etc...it's really not hard to figure out who has what and where.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I would not like that list just like I don't like this one. It makes me FEEL unsafe. However, my hang-up is the connection between FEELING unsafe and BEING unsafe. I think it's asinine to publish such things but it is difficult to prove harm.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Sure, one would think there is a connection. However, if the list published had EVERYONE listed who had guns, does that mean that anyone getting their guns stolen would have been ok without the list? What I would like to see is the burglary stats for the areas in question. If there are numerous burglaries and this is the only one where guns were taken, the connection to the list is thin. I'm not supporting the publishing of the list, just trying to interject some reason into it. Just because a news report made a connection does not mean there actually is one. Again, without a burglar admitting to using the list, good luck getting "justice". PROOF.

I get what you're saying. And one incident might be difficult to prove a connection. But the same guy hitting only houses on the list? Or the same group of guys who know each other hitting only houses on the list? A handwritten list found in their possession with only addresses from the list?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    It would be hard to prove causality if there was a list since the incidents occurred BEFORE any list published.

Question for the jury.

I think it's asinine to publish such things but it is difficult to prove harm.

Motive of the newspaper need not be shown. The harm is to the burglary victim.

If one were to publish the names and addresses of every judge in Marion County, what would happen to that person(s), especially after a Burglary of a judge's home?

Top Bottom