• EOTECH or AIMPOINT

• Total voters

Bonez87

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    Clinton, IN
    I did a quick search on site and I didnt find any threads that answered my question so Im going to start this thread to hopefully get it figured out. Im not trying to start a war between the aimpoint guys and the eotech guys or anything, just trying to get answers. I have owned eotech 512's in the past and never had any issues with them. Although I never used one in combat or anything, just casual range shooting. I have an aimpoint micro h-1 right now and absolutely love it. It is a fantastic optic. Now im looking to get another optic for a different AR i have and here is where my question comes in. I was thinkin about doing a SOPMOD Block II clone build (so itll be an eotech 553 tan) but ive heard alot of horror stories about the eotechs. Ive heard they have issues with the battery compartment poping loose and the sight shuts off. And ive heard the sight will pop off the gun or loose zero. If the sight has this many problems and it this unreliable, why would the Military choose it for the SOPMOD program? You would think that the military would have the same issues with theirs as all the guys posting these threads about this happening to theirs right? I just dont want to buy an optic, an expensive optic at that, if it is going to be a pile of crap. Does anyone have any first had experience with the eotech 553? Any military guys on here that have used this optic in battle? Before I shell out $700 I would love some input. Thanks

Bonez87

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    Clinton, IN
    My :twocents: would be to keep the optics on both guns as similar as possible, for commonality in training.

And I cant disagree with you, I wouldnt mind having another Mirco at all. I was just thinkin about a block ii clone build so I would have to use the Eotech. I just dont want to buy a pile of crap. An expensive pile of crap at that. lol

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    If you are building a clone, then get the EO, otherwise it's not a clone. ;)
    Supposedly the battery contact issues have been taken care of.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I had an Eotech at one point and sold it. It was the N cell model and the battery didn't last long (even when turned off). I liked the big ring for up close shooting.

I have tried out my step brother's Aimpoint Pro and I like it. I like that it can stay on for years and always be ready, but the dot is a little bigger than the center one on the EOtech.

When I get the money to replace the EOtech, it will be for an Aimpoint. Both good optics though if you get one of the EOtechs that takes CR123

Bonez87

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    Clinton, IN
    If you are building a clone, then get the EO, otherwise it's not a clone. ;)
    Supposedly the battery contact issues have been taken care of.

This is where my issue comes in. I want to build a clone but I wont if it means I have to buy an optic with issues, but if the issues have been resolved i wont mind getting one.

Bonez87

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    Clinton, IN
    I had an Eotech at one point and sold it. It was the N cell model and the battery didn't last long (even when turned off). I liked the big ring for up close shooting.

I have tried out my step brother's Aimpoint Pro and I like it. I like that it can stay on for years and always be ready, but the dot is a little bigger than the center one on the EOtech.

When I get the money to replace the EOtech, it will be for an Aimpoint. Both good optics though if you get one of the EOtechs that takes CR123

The 553 uses the CR123 batteries so hopefully it is GTG

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I suppose I should have read the post before I voted on the poll, because I think u are polling the 553 in particular. I have no experience with the 553, but voted for EOTech in general because I love my EXPS. The EXPS would not have the battery compartment issues that u mentioned though because it uses a single transverse (sideways) battery.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I have the EO Tech 552, and used it my year in Iraq, got myself a personal one later, never had any problems with any of them. Great equipment and runs off of AA batteries, which is great, cause you can find those anywhere in the world, where some of the other guys had to take off the optics while waiting for batteries for a month or two. Granted, I know you are running it in the states, so battery resupply shouldn't be a problem. However, i would say go with either one that makes you feel more comfortable. I keep the EO Tech, because I have used it for so long and know it so well.

Bonez87

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    Clinton, IN
    I have the EO Tech 552, and used it my year in Iraq, got myself a personal one later, never had any problems with any of them. Great equipment and runs off of AA batteries, which is great, cause you can find those anywhere in the world, where some of the other guys had to take off the optics while waiting for batteries for a month or two. Granted, I know you are running it in the states, so battery resupply shouldn't be a problem. However, i would say go with either one that makes you feel more comfortable. I keep the EO Tech, because I have used it for so long and know it so well.

Thanks good to know, Thanks for the response

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Thanks good to know, Thanks for the response
    Not a problem. It is a tough question. I know some of the Aimpoints last longer, but they run on odd batteries. Some people swear by them, I swear by my EO Tech. It has never let me down, no matter how badly we treated and battered them. If you watch the new movie, "Act of Valor" you will see that most of the SEALs have the EO Tech (looks like the 552), although there are one or two that had the Aimpoints.
    Personally, I like having the ring with the dot in the middle, it draws your eye to it faster, making it easier to scan the area with both eyes. Once again, just my 2 cents. Always good to look for advice.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Many of the issues that plagued EOTechs were solved in their latest XPS series.

If you're building a rifle simply because you want it to copy a military configuration then I'd say be 100% in copying it. Going half way would just be "another AR".

If you were building something to be high functioning then I'd stick with Aimpoint Micro.

68_F100

Expert
    Rating - 93.9%
    31   2   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    North Salem
    I have 3 of the 512 sights. One is about 5 years the other is about 3 and the last one is still NIB. I have not had one single issue. I have 5k rounds on the oldest unit. The other is on my wifes ar and it might as well be new for as much as she shoots it. I am sure every company has a few bad units get out.

sicegcivic

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    I Voted Aimpoint simply because I love my new 2moa Micro t1. I have never personally had any issues with my Eotech sights, and i actually prefer the reticle on the Eo, but i like the size and weight of the t1.

After reading through all posts I see the real ? as what sight for the sopmod block II clone. In this case i would lean toward the Eotech. Eotech has put the issues behind them and there have not been a lot of problems lately. I'm sure there could be a few bad ones in circulation, so make sure u use a good reliable source when you purchase one.

Also there has been some talk that the 553 is soon to be replaced by the EXPS3 in tan... NSN: 1240-01-587-9345 ...that could be another option to look into.
    Product: EXPS3 | L-3 EOTech Holographic Weapons Systems

All that being said, GET THE ELCAN!

Bonez87

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    Clinton, IN
    I have 3 of the 512 sights. One is about 5 years the other is about 3 and the last one is still NIB. I have not had one single issue. I have 5k rounds on the oldest unit. The other is on my wifes ar and it might as well be new for as much as she shoots it. I am sure every company has a few bad units get out.

I Voted Aimpoint simply because I love my new 2moa Micro t1. I have never personally had any issues with my Eotech sights, and i actually prefer the reticle on the Eo, but i like the size and weight of the t1.

After reading through all posts I see the real ? as what sight for the sopmod block II clone. In this case i would lean toward the Eotech. Eotech has put the issues behind them and there have not been a lot of problems lately. I'm sure there could be a few bad ones in circulation, so make sure u use a good reliable source when you purchase one.

Also there has been some talk that the 553 is soon to be replaced by the EXPS3 in tan... NSN: 1240-01-587-9345 ...that could be another option to look into.
    Product: EXPS3 | L-3 EOTech Holographic Weapons Systems

All that being said, GET THE ELCAN!

That's very good to know. I appreciate the info guys!

Top Bottom