• ...and so much more!
  • MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Utah homeowners fined for flying American Flag | Fox 59

The president of the homeowners association spoke to KSTU and was steadfast in her decision to enforce the fine. She said she was tired of seeing flags, not just the American flag, flying up and down the street all day and night, and 365 days of the year.

"Flags are flown on holiday events," said Lyn Steinbergen, president of the HOA. "All we are trying to do is regulate when the flag goes up and when it comes down.”

It seems this was not a previous condition of the HOA agreement, but basically an arbitrary decision by the board.

One resident summed it up pretty well...
    "That is not a holiday decoration," she [Erin Worthen] points out. "People have died for that, it is not a holiday decoration."

If this doesn't make your blood boil, I don't know what will. Last time I checked, the flag wasn't just reserved for holidays.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Board needs to realize that "decoration" is what lets them have the power to be the little Napoleons they are being. (instead of being forced to rely on .gov for enforcement of rules/laws they may or may not agree with)

Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville
    I agree!! The American Flag is NOT a decoration flag. The two terms simply don't go together ! I hope the local population is raising hell over that! I believe I'd have to get out of Dodge, even at a loss. I'm sure there would be some yuppie wanting to "move up" into a neighborhood like that. When bought my home years ago I made sure there were no restrictions to worry about.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Not to completely hijack the thread, but somewhat related...

There's a Noble Romans yard sign in the entry of our neighborhood. I don't know who the hell put it there... but it pisses me off.

Can I take it down and trash it, or is that theft?

The neighborhood has a "no solicitation" sign on the entry stone thing... so technically I don't think it should be there.

I noticed it was there last week, it was gone yesterday, and it's back today.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

There's a Noble Romans yard sign in the entry of our neighborhood. I don't know who the hell put it there... but it pisses me off.

The neighborhood has a "no solicitation" sign on the entry stone thing... so technically I don't think it should be there.

On a totally unrelated note, if you find trash in the common area, you should throw it in a trash can. Its called being a good, responsible neighbor.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Anybody who chooses to live where there's a Homeowners Association is ASKING for trouble, and shouldn't be surprised when trouble finds them because that's what Homeowners Associations do.

I NEVER have and never will live where there's a HOA.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Flying the American flag is all but a requirement in my neighborhood. We are in the country and built on some old farm ground. There are a few dead restrictions to help protect property values, but nothing over the top. We do have an annual picnic, and before we eat we pray and say the pledge of allegiance.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

They make GREAT target holders. Just sayin', oh and they're not supposed to be putting that crap in the right of way, more than likely against (town, city, burb) ordinances.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

I thought they recently passed a law saying that those signs had to be taken down every day. I know it's not enforced, but I believe it came about from all the housing addition/realty signs that clutter up medians in the proximity of whatever neighborhoods where realtors/developers are hawking their model homes.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Anybody who chooses to live where there's a Homeowners Association is ASKING for trouble, and shouldn't be surprised when trouble finds them because that's what Homeowners Associations do.

I NEVER have and never will live where there's a HOA.

This... x 100.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Home owner associations are tricky things.
    Usually the best way to effect change is to run against the current officers and fire the existing HOA legal council at the earliest opportunity.
    The rules are made by the HOA and can generally be changed at any time.

A million years ago, I suggested this strategy at an HOA meeting. It surprised me at how quickly the a-hole lawyer who was being rude to little old ladies realized there were enough votes in the room to reduce his paycheck. And then took a more global perspective about personal taste, freedoms, and arbitrary rules imposed by bored housewives.

Sometimes people are are counciled to do what they can, rather than what they should.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    If this doesn't make your blood boil, I don't know what will. Last time I checked, the flag wasn't just reserved for holidays.

It doesn't make my blood boil at all. If one moves into a home in a neighborhood with an HOA, they get what they deserve. The rules and regulations are up for constant addition and changes. What was fine one day may not be the next... and they signed an agreement. Too bad, take down your flag.... and then move.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    It doesn't make my blood boil at all. If one moves into a home in a neighborhood with an HOA, they get what they deserve. The rules and regulations are up for constant addition and changes. What was fine one day may not be the next... and they signed an agreement. Too bad, take down your flag.... and then move.

Word! Don't sign a contract then ***** about the rules of said contract.

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    The problem is, they cannot make a rule restricting properly displaying The Flag of the United States.

I wouldn't live in an HOA either, but this one is worth *****ing about.

Top Bottom