• IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Absolutely, I can

864_001.jpg

It's called the Palestine Pound, and it was the currency from 1927 to May 14th 1948, and was the officially recognized currency of Israel between May 15th 1948 and August 1948, when Israel invented the Lira and started using that instead.

Any other questions? It's all there in the history books.

Wouldn't that be a form of BRITISH currency given that it was printed and used under the auspices of the British government while governing there?

popsmoke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    There was never a palestinian country.

They didnt want their own country, hence the reason now they are squatters... Stupid rock chucking crybabies. I think its high time the palestinians put on their big boy pants and step up to the table as equals with Israel.

So do you also agree that it's time for Israel to put on their big boy pants and step up as equals? After all, we're the only thing keeping them from being eaten alive by the Arabs. Do you think that since they should go toe to toe like big boys that we should stop giving them money, weapons, and training?

Of course you don't. You're brainwashed.

popsmoke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    Wouldn't that be a form of BRITISH currency given that it was printed and used under the auspices of the British government while governing there?

Actually, that's a very good question, but it's not British. It's signed by treasury members of what's called the Palestine Currency Board. It's independent of the BPS.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Actually, that's a very good question, but it's not British. It's signed by treasury members of what's called the Palestine Currency Board. It's independent of the BPS.

Our money is issued and signed by the Federal Reserve, but it is still issued under the auspices of the United States. Israel has revolved between independence and foreign domination at various times without having experienced independence at any point between the conquest by Alexander the Great and the establishment of the modern state of Israel in 1948. By virtue of holding it as a colonial territory, it was indeed Britain's prerogative to turn control over to whomever it wished with our without United Nations involvement.

mima07

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    central Indiana
    Funny how this post began innocuously with a news story about a cyber attack on Israel; and leads into argument/discussion about the origins and justice of Israel as a state.
    All I know is, as a woman, I'd rather live in Israel, than any Muslim controlled nation, area, or community--even if I were a Muslim--which I am not.
    Injustice in a Jewish state would be more preferable than the Koran and Islamic clerics dictates toward women.
    Realistically, we as Americans have no idea what life is like living in the Mideast. As has been described by others, the Middle East is a bad neighborhood.

TheRude1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    INDY
    Answer me this
    Who would you rather have stand beside you in a fight ?
    Or who would you trust to stand behind you with a weapon ?

or

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    You don't need to be anti-Semitic to be a dumbass; all you need is a set of blinders and no concept of history. Whether you believe they are the Chosen People or not, the Israeli's acquired their country the same way most of the rest of the Middle East acquired theirs; by political action combined with the "Right of Conquest". The Israelis withstood two attempts to destroy them without increasing their territory; after the '73 war, they took enough territory to give them a buffer against future invasion - and they've given most of that away to the Palestinians. Muslims can be and are full citizens of Israel; the opposite is not true anywhere else in the Middle East at this time. So who is apartheid and who isn't?

Thank you for saving me 2 minutes of typing!

SaintsNSinners

Shooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    At Work in Indy
    Absolutely, I can

864_001.jpg

It's called the Palestine Pound, and it was the currency from 1927 to May 14th 1948, and was the officially recognized currency of Israel between May 15th 1948 and August 1948, when Israel invented the Lira and started using that instead.

Any other questions? It's all there in the history books.

Nice try. Not a palestinian currency. The pound value and time...

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    It actually comes from the Greek word Palaestina, which is a geographic definition meaning "exact borders are not known," due to it's conquest of the Mediterranean coast. The term was inserted in the early Middle Ages, when reproducing the works of Herodotus.

I don't know where you're getting your information on it's etymology from... probably an Israeli source, though.

Try some of these links:

Origin of the Name Palestine

Origins of the name “Palestine”

World Views: HISTORY & MEANING OF PALESTINE AND PALESTINIAN

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    How on Earth can you actually say Palestine didn't exist?
    The problem with Israel supporters is that they don't like to read history books. I can't tell if you're being obtuse on purpose, or really this stupid.

It has always been a country. I'll let you refer to the two maps I posted which clearly show Palestine.
    And here is a graph showing Arab-Jewish land ownership in 1950:
    http://domino.un.org/unispal.nsf/906...
    As you can clearly see, Jews only owned 6% of Palestinian land , and it most definitely wasn't called Israel until UN Resolution 181 in the year 1947.

I just don't understand how you can so ardently fly in the face of documented history. Here's a picture in case words make your brain hurt:
    shrinking-map-of-palestine.png

If it were up to you, where would Jews live? Would they have a nation?

tyrajam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Fishers
    How on Earth can you actually say Palestine didn't exist?
    The problem with Israel supporters is that they don't like to read history books. I can't tell if you're being obtuse on purpose, or really this stupid.

It has always been a country. I'll let you refer to the two maps I posted which clearly show Palestine.
    And here is a graph showing Arab-Jewish land ownership in 1950:
    http://domino.un.org/unispal.nsf/906...
    As you can clearly see, Jews only owned 6% of Palestinian land , and it most definitely wasn't called Israel until UN Resolution 181 in the year 1947.

I just don't understand how you can so ardently fly in the face of documented history. Here's a picture in case words make your brain hurt:
    shrinking-map-of-palestine.png

Wow. This might be a good time to admit that there was never a nation of Palestine until it was invented post WW II. Regroup and rally around your main arguments. Enough people have shown you the difference between a region and a nation, you're continuing insistence that Palestine was a country is embarrassing to those who actually support your position with facts. For the last 6000 years it has been ruled by the Jews, the Romans, the Arabs, the Turks, or the Brits. You really should try to research a tiny bit before you start spewing make believe.

Last edited:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    There is a tremendous difference between Anti-Semitism and Anti-Zionism. I have no problem with any members of any Religion. I have a problem with imprisoning entire populations under the guise of any religion, Jewish, Christian, Muslim or otherwise.

And also, if we went and took 95% of Canada's land, I would expect the rockets. What an incredibly poor analogy. You've been brainwashed to think that any criticism of Zionism is somehow Anti-Semitic.

I am vehemently opposed to Obama and most of his policies. By your logic, that makes me Anti-American. Are you able to understand how stupid that argument is?

I am all ears for learning more about the history of the region. If you've got some links to send me, please do. But the issue isn't about who has the rights to land. It's about the reactions and so-called solutions to problems.

Because some Palestians attack Israel, all of them are punished.

So by that logic, would you agree with president Hussein Obama's reaction to the Newtown tragedy and the Aurora tragedy--punishing all law-abiding gun owners for the actions of a crazed madman? Because that's what's happening here. And it's what's happening in Israel. Anyone of arabic descent is being punished for the actions of the violent. How could anyone agree with such a practice??

And I have no idea where you're getting this "Left" BS from. I moved out of NYC to get away from the leftist BS. I'd rather die than live in a place run by Bloomberg, so don't sit there and act like I'm some democrat who is trying to take away people's rights and regulate everything out of existence. I'm as libertarian as they come and I'm a fiscal conservative. Live and let live. (not currently happening in Israel.)

That's an excellent post, Bill. But what I'm not clear on is why a decision was made in 1948 to simply give that land to certain Jews. If the people that were already living on that land in 1948 were not in agreement with the decision, then how is it valid?

It could be said that Europeans stole land from Native Americans long ago. If a decision was made to say, give Indiana back to the native American tribes, would you get up and leave? Let's go as far as to say it doesn't matter who is right and who is wrong...would you fight for the land and home you earned? Or would you get up and leave? If you stayed and fought, would you expect things to resolve quickly, or a drawn out war? If you had children, and they grew up surrounded by war and conflict, would you expect them not to get drawn into it?

The truck driver's strategy/response is exactly the kind of response to a problem that I believe in. Just imagine for a second that Israel stopped all military action towards the Gaza Strip/Palestinians indefinitely. Imagine that for one year, Israel used no violent response towards the Gaza Strip, no matter how violent those in Gaza acted. Imagine if they used the truck driver's approach. Creative use of sanctions, or simple boycotting. This would A) totally invalidate any claims that Israel is in the wrong. and B) it would enable people around the world to back Israel rather than criticize it.

But instead, they continue to use weapons like Flechettes and WP, and they continue to inflict disproportionate casualties on the people of Gaza Strip.

As I've said before, there are evil men on all sides and in all nations. I just want to be clear in stating that I don't oppose or hate Jews in any way. I don't oppose or hate muslims in any way, but I can't be in agreement with a prison-state of any kind. That is what I'm so against. I realize this is a sensitive issue for some people, and the last thing I'd like to do is upset anyone. But I'm tired of knowing that so many people suffer because of the actions of their peers.

Three posts pointing out the evils of Israeli imperialism and you admit you don't have even a marginal understanding of the history of the area before 1949. The "Palestinians" were Arabs, not Palestinians. There is no separate Palestinian people. Just Arabs living in a land generically labeled as Palestine. Like the Sahara, Crimea, or that Soviet tundra wasteland which name escapes me at the moment. Dangit. None of those are nation-states, or even nations.

Furthermore, the UN committee tasked with partitioning the British Mandate Of Palestine originally created a two-state entity. Guess what happened? The "Palestinians" didn't like that they didn't get all of it and pulled the old jealous husband routine: If we can't have all of it, you can't have it either. They waged war against the Jews. Upon their utter defeat, Israel arose from the ashes.

I suggest you look up the phrase "six days *****." None of the land currently claimed by Israel was taken through their initiation of force. Spoils of war is not stolen.

You sure about that? Or should I have made your text purple? Look at a world map in your history books. Here are some from WWII:

Palestine wasn't a nation. Being labeled on a map doesn't make it a nation. It makes it a geographic region. And it never existed autonomously anyway. Which sort of negates the argument that is was a political entity with sovereign powers.

Top Bottom