• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zcsmith464

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Noblesville
    I am considering an ankle holster for cc'ing my P3at. I generally wear a button up shirt and unable to to use an iwb holster or pocket clip and the pocket gets a little uncomfortable for me.

Anyone used an ankle holster? Thoughts?

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Mine's for a Glock 26, so my opinion will be different but still relevant. I've had it on for 14 hours now with no problems. I still prefer the Galco due to the wider strap but this works.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Mmmuuhh....well, I have a Galco ankle glove that I love. Others may be close to it, but no others can beat it.

:ar15::ingo::patriot:

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I have worn an ankle holster with my LCP when I have to play dress up.

I have not noticed my own creeping down, but I would caution you about how you cross or place your legs while sitting.

Latewatch

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Henryville, IN
    I've used several ankle holsters over the years the last 20 years to include Galco, Alessi, Fobus, Bianchi and currently a Desantis. With all things considered to include, quality, comfort, price, retention, etc. I would recommend the Desantis first. I use my ankle holster primarily to carry a Glock 27 as my BUG while on duty and have had issues with all of the other brands at one time or another. So far (about 7 years) the Desantis has yet to fail me.

With all this being said, I would think long and hard before deciding on any ankle holster as my primary carry method. For primary carry, the ankle holsters positive attributes are greatly outweighed by its negative attributes.

:twocents:

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I'm no fan for a couple of reasons. I think the draw is slower than from other platforms. I have spotted more attempts to conceal ankle carry than any other form, especially when pants ride up as the wearer is seated or crosses his/her legs

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I wear a Galco Ankle Glove. It's the best that I've found (I have other cheaper ones in the closet making sure dust doesn't settle on important stuff). If you wear the right shoes and jeans/slacks you forget it is there.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

That's a Glock G23 BTW. I've also carried a G30 without a problem.
    What makes the Ankle Glove so comfortable is that it's a soft leather holster made specifically for the gun and is stitched to the ankle band. The gun doesn't bear into your ankle.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    An alternative to ankle carry is a tuckable IWB. The only thing visible is a clip on the belt, which is easily covered with a cell phone.

Something like this:
    Split Decision

You can use it as a standard IWB when you don't have to have a tucked in shirt, too. Even with the picking up the cover garment with your offhand, its sitll faster than getting to an ankle holster AND its more intuitive for keeping your eye on the threat when you don't have to kneel or otherwise contort.

Do what works best for you, though, and not every build can pull off the tuckable.

BCCS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    I like ankle carry for when on longer drives. A belt holster gets uncomfortable after awhile and drawing from your ankle is much quicker when driving.

mpitcock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2011
    Lafayette
    I have several ankle holsters. Don Hume being the most worn and favorite.
    I carry a Sig 238. I also on occasion carry either a Ruger LCR .357 or a Wather PPKS.
    I enjoy ankle carry and have had no issue with it.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Galco is the way to go, but it is expensive. If you can't afford it or it's too comfortable for you then I would then suggest a Galco. If neither of those will fit your needs or budget, you could always just get a Galco instead.

See what I'm doing here -

It's cheaper just to get the Galco now - then to buy the others before buying the Galco later. :n00b:

Top Bottom