Ankle Holsters, Only Work in the Movies?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy38

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hey all,

I just purchased a ankle holster for my ultra light .38 from CtD.com but have to say, I'm not impressed at all. It's actually my second one, it had good reviews but still I can't say I'm fan. I realize that a .38 is a little on the large side for an ankle carry but still. Anyone know of any from first-hand experience that work well for a j-frame?

Thanks,
    Hank

Wwwildthing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Arizona
    Glock 26 in a Galco Ankle-Lite...

51TS2I5G23L._SS500_.jpg

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've carried a J frame in a Galco Ankle glove for more than ten years. Through foot chases, fence climbings and anything else I've thrown at it, it's never failed me.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I've carried a J frame in a Galco Ankle glove for more than ten years. Through foot chases, fence climbings and anything else I've thrown at it, it's never failed me.

Same here, although not ten years worth. That being said, I would never use ankle carry as a primary method of carry, it has always been for a backup.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Another great holster for the J-frame is the Renegade 500. I plan on getting one. I have one for a Glock and it is very comfortable though I cut down the strap and carry a Kel-tec P11 in it which is lighter..

Cozy Partners

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    My dad used an ankle holster for his J frame BUG when he was an LEO, but it is not his first choice, and its usefulness was dependent on the pants he was wearing.

mpitcock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2011
    Lafayette
    Ankle carry is an aquired way to carry. It definately takes some getting used to and also getting the right holster that fits as comfortably as possible.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Ankle Glove is the best, period, especially for a J frame. First a Taurus 85, more recently a Smith 642; both have ridden in the Ankle Glove. Especially useful if your taking a long drive. Much easier to draw from your ankle in the car than the typical OWB carry.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Ankle Glove is the best, period, especially for a J frame. First a Taurus 85, more recently a Smith 642; both have ridden in the Ankle Glove. Especially useful if your taking a long drive. Much easier to draw from your ankle in the car than the typical OWB carry.

Exactly, car access was the main reason I wore one. Being left handed, I was not confident in being able to get at my duty gun while seated, so I set my ankle holster up to use right handed.

Bob45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Metamora
    Iv e carried a j frame in an Allesi, which is probably the best ankle holster you can get, if you can find one. and a pm9 in a Renegade for years with no problems, you just have to get used to it

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Iv e carried a j frame in an Allesi, which is probably the best ankle holster you can get, if you can find one. and a pm9 in a Renegade for years with no problems, you just have to get used to it

For those that like the Allesi, 5-Shot Leather makes one based on the Allessi.

5 Shot Leather, LLC - CP

Personally, I still think the Renegade is the most comfortable and the price is right. I think the soft leather holster conceals better. I plan on picking a 54-M for the Rossi 720 (k-frame size) I just picked up and a 500 for a j-frame 642.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I occasionally carry either a Bersa 380CC or PPK/S in ankle carry. The holster I bought for it sucks, even though it was pretty pricey. To make it work, I bought an add on strap that goes higher on my calf and then wear two socks. The calf strap keeps the gun from falling too low and the extra sock goes over the holster to keep it nice and tight to the ankle. With that, it works pretty well for me.

Top Bottom