An old Remington Rand 45 saved from evidence locker.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bluedragon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Not sure if this has been posted before but...I found this news article, regarding a man's Remington Rand 1911a1 that was stolen from him and a sheriff recovered the gun while checking inventory from the evidence locker. It's nice to see there are still a few people in this world who actually try to find the owner of stolen property, especially when it's something as nice as this.:D

I also gotta say, I really like the "sweetheart" grips it's wearing. It's pretty interesting to say the least.:patriot:

Lost heirloom » Local News » Weatherford Democrat

Last edited by a moderator:

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    Such a badass story; to carry a picture of your ol' lady on the grips of the device that will keep you alive - truly inspirational.

I hope they find the original owner, if not - I'll take it!

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    Unbelievable Find ,I hope that the owner is found but what a great story that must be there with the pic and such . I remember seeing on history channel or reading that those grips where bought by GI's & had put pics of their loved ones or things that they had to look forward to when they made it back to the states.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    He was prolly just checking to see if it'd be missed so he could take it home. He has a wonderful collection! :D

Bluedragon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    I know this is an old post, but I found a follow up story to the above mentioned in my original. Turns out they found the owner the gun belonged too. Or I should say, the original owner's son. The owner's father who carried it during the war died a year before it was stolen, and the woman in the photos who was his wife died in 2005.

Original link to story came from here.
    http://www.star-telegram.com/804/story/872306.html

Forum I found it from regarding the follow up can be found here.
    Surplusrifle Forum • View topic - Sheriff Seeking To Solve WWII Gun Mystery (Image Heavy)

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Removed copyrighted story -mods

Also here is some additional pictures I found as well on the gun.:patriot:

sheriff_05.jpg

sheriff_04.jpg

sheriff_002.jpg

Last edited:

Yoder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    Owen County
    I always wonder how many idiots are out there robbing convenience stores with rare guns they've stolen, with no idea how valuable the things really are.

Bluedragon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    You and me both. I am kinda curious though on the guy who got it illegally, I wonder if he ever stopped to think why it had a woman's picture in the grip.

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    Great story! I am glad to see that there are still people out there who would do what this Sheriff has done in todays day and age! What surprises me more is that the grips and pics were still on there and in good shape!

Bluedragon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    I agree it really is nice to see that there are honest people still in this world who want to do the right thing. As for the grips, that is the best part about the gun. I really like the way they look on the gun and it's interesting how they were made out of plexiglass. I wonder how the picture is fitted into the grips though...

Squirt239

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    I could be mistaken, BUT I'm almost certain I saw this gun the other day. I'm pretty sure the guy that owned that gun brought it into Gander. He gave it to his son (14). Anyways, they were trying to get it checked out for the son's "shoot" the next day. The gunsmith went through it and talked to them for a few about it. A couple hours later they came back with the gun all disassembled (again) and couldn't figure out how to get it back together. The gunsmith got it back together for them (again) and they left. Like I said, I'm not 100% certain, but when you see 2 in the same week, with the same style grips, and the same make and model...seems awfully coincidental...

Top Bottom