• ...and so much more!
  • Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    This is a true story.

While making a delivery at a customer’s freight dock, I pulled a small knife out of my pocket in order to cut the plastic stretch wrap off of a pallet of goods.

One of the female dockworkers, commenting on me carrying a knife, said, “I like a man who is prepared!”

Ignoring the obvious flirtatious nature of the comment because I am a faithful married man, I replied, “Well…I normally carry a gun, but Department of Transportation regulations prohibit me from doing so in a commercial vehicle.”

Hearing this, a nearby male dockworker asked, “I have a question I’ve always wanted to ask people like you. Why do you carry a gun?”

The tone of his question raised my combat antenna a little bit.

Having been acquainted with this guy for several years, I knew him to be somewhat sarcastic, and at the same time probably one of those gentle types of souls who avoids direct confrontation and would probably lay down and roll over if he was ever accosted…a good dude, but personality-wise, nothing like me.

Anyhoo…I replied, “Because it’s my God-given and Constitutional right to do so, and because I can, and because I want to.”

He then asked, “Where do you live?”

I replied, “Indianapolis.”

The female dockworker commented, “That’s why he carries a gun!”

(These folks live and work in a small town in southern Indiana, which is worlds away from Indy in many respects.)

Then, the guy asked, “Could you really kill a person?”

I said, “Look…I don’t know if I ever told you this, but I was a Marine. I have no problem killing some fool who is fixin’ to hurt me or my family, or is trying to steal my ****. I could shoot him and not think twice about it.”

Then, the female dockworker jokingly said, “A Marine? Then you could kill somebody with your bare hands!”

“It's a myth that every Marine can kill with his bare hands. Besides...I’m too old for that ****, and it’s too much work. Pullin’ the trigger is a lot easier, and I’m not messin’ around if somebody starts actin’ crazy,” I replied.

I don’t think I convinced the guy that handguns are OK and that carrying one ever makes sense.

Like I care…

Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    As a rule, I try to avoid the carry conversation with anyone other than the like-minded. It avoids headaches and heartaches and generally makes the day go smoother.

I've spoken with combat vets that have taken human lives. For them, it was not a pleasurable experience and it follows them throughout their life. In each case, the subject was brought up by the vet - it's not an easy thing to talk about.

It's an ugly thing to take a life and I hope I'm never put in that situation.

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    Had a home inspection done in Greenfield. When I reached for my credit card the inspector noticed my pistol and asked if I was a policeman. I responded "No, just live in Indianapolis." He said "I understand."

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I had lunch at a Wendy's at the mall in Lafayette before the holidays. I was OC'ing as is normal for me. Behind me was an older lady she asked "Are you an officer?" My reply was "No ma'am." She smiled and said "I wish more people would carry like that the Country was a lot better when men carried guns. People were just so much more mannerly when someone might thump them if the misbehaved."

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    Whenever i am asked ..."Why do you carry ?"

My general reply is one of 2 things .

1. to protect people like you .
    2. an armed man is a citizen ..an unarmed man is mearly a subject ...

I know i have seen both theese in peoples sigs in here but yes i have used them in everyday life ...lol

Last edited:

Bart

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    Seymour
    Walter Zoomie; “It's a myth that every Marine can kill with his bare hands. Like I care…[/quote said:
    Don't tell people that. We want them to think we are all bad asses. :ar15:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    As a rule, I try to avoid the carry conversation with anyone other than the like-minded. It avoids headaches and heartaches and generally makes the day go smoother.

That is wisdom there, but some of us are not that smart - and we tend to be under the delusion we can convince others towards changing. I just try to remind myself that I could have avoided the last argument/discussion while I am taking another two aspirins. :):

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    That's why I always have my carry cards. When the conversation is over, they will still have the card they can look at and see how responsible gun owners are.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I had a middle-aged woman grump at me at work one day when I used my Benchmade knife to open a box for her. She'd ordered something from our parent company that was sent to my store, and when she asked me to open the box for her, I pulled out my knife and opened it..

"Why would anyone ever need a knife like that??" She asked..

"Ummm, to open the box you JUST ASKED ME TO OPEN??" I replied, with a smile..

"Well, [humph] you don't NEED a knife like that.." she spat

"What would you have used to open this box, ma'am?" I questioned.. she checked her purse, coming up with nothing, grabbed the box and left..

Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    I work at the Best Buy in Bloomington, in the Geek Squad. I would say we are probably one of the most heavily armed/trained Geek Squads out there.

Almost all of us have some blade on us, some more ridiculous than others.. but each of them useful for box opening. About half of us own our own pistols. At least one has his LTCH, and I'm on my way to getting mine. And the rest of us are trained in at least one form of martial art. Not that it's important, or entirely relevant. It does crack me up that we're the Geek Squad, and could probably take the rest of the store in a heads-on confrontation.

Anyway... besides that, I probably get asked the "why do you carry a knife like that" question at least once or twice a week. I usually give a similar reply, "To open boxes." And they're always confused as to why I don't use the issued 'safety box cutter'. I just don't understand how the safety box cutter is even that useful. I hate them. And I can never find one anyway.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    And they're always confused as to why I don't use the issued 'safety box cutter'. I just don't understand how the safety box cutter is even that useful. I hate them. And I can never find one anyway.

Because box cutters are terrorist weapons, really.

boxcutters.jpg

(from HERE )

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    I try to avoid the conversation as well unless I know they are truly interested in having an intelligent conversation about the issue rather than just trying to argue. I would much rather carry and not ever need it, than to be without it and realize I needed it. There is a great signature one of our fellow users has, and I cannot remember it verbatum...but it was something to the effect of (Don't ever tell anyone you were prepared to draw if you ended up not needing to.)

Another quote I try to remind myself of when this and other arguments come up....

"A wise man once told me, don't argue with fools. People from a distance can't tell who is who."

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    What are "carry cards?" And BTW, your avatar is nothing short of amazing.
    It a two sided business card that says, on one side
    "Indiana citizens licensed to carry firearms are among the most law-abiding in the state. Most of us will not bring a weapon where it is not welcome. The reverse side of this card lists the requirements I have met in order to be licensed."
    The other side looks like this:
    *I have passed both an ISP and FBI criminal background check
    *I have never had a felony conviction
    *I have no convictions for unsafe handling of a firearm
    *I am not a drug or alcohol abuser, nor prone to violent behavior
    *I have no mental defects or disabilities

If they have any further questions, I am more than happy to oblige them.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    When I am asked why I carry a gun, I tell then for the same reasons I carry a first aid kit, a spare tire and insurance. Just in case I need it.

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    I work at the Best Buy in Bloomington

The complete and total joy of living and/or working in "San Fransisco", Indiana

I am honestly surprised you are allowed to carry ANY thing that might even closely resemble a weapon, what ever you do don't admit to eating meat!

I have nearly stopped responding to any question regarding handguns, knives or heaven forbid hunting rifles around B-town, I find it easier to smile and walk away.

Top Bottom