• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    So if the safety had been engaged would the round have still fired?

I'm just wondering if it doesn't still fall under the ND category because when he went to clear the misfire shouldn't he have safe'd the rifle?

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    So if the safety had been engaged would the round have still fired?

I'm just wondering if it doesn't still fall under the ND category because when he went to clear the misfire shouldn't he have safe'd the rifle?
    Yes, it would have. The sear had been tripped.
    I don't understand the reload. It wouldn't have anything to do with the hammer not falling.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I don't understand the reload. It wouldn't have anything to do with the hammer not falling.
    I assume that with ear-pro on and other students firing it can often times be hard to distinguish if the hammer actually fell or not.

The student pulled the trigger, the trigger pull felt normal but no round fired. At that moment he likely thought he had emptied his weapon or his mag was malfunctioning so he elected to do a reload. It's pretty simple really.

The thing I have to question is the comment in the story about how many of us probably have blown primers floating around in our trigger mechanism as we speak. #1 primers being blown shouldn't be a common occurrence, but if so, I don't think it's very common for them to end up in the trigger mechanism so I have to be skeptical of that comment, #2 many of us actually check the internals of our rifles periodically and most often you would notice primers floating around in there if they were present.

Oh, VUPDblue, I have had an ACTUAL AD with an AR before as well, it's even been posted on here. Your title made it sound like you hold the opinion that true AD's are almost unheard of. While I do agree that most "AD"'s we hear about are actually ND's, true AD's are more common than most let on to believe.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to imply anything. I just know that most of the time when a bullet goes downrange unintentionally, it is usually due to negligence, instead of a mechanical problem. I should have titled the thread differently. Again, I offer my apologies.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    It needs to be said over and over again: One need not depress the trigger to have a firearm discharge.

Every time, every single time, you load or unload your firearm, especially if it has an inertia firing pin, like a 1911, an 870 or an AR-15, the weapon can discharge.

Do NOT "just unload/load it in the parking lot." Ensure you have a proper backstop and not have Jasper's pick 'em up truck or I-65 as a backstop.

Eez gon, eez not safe.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    It needs to be said over and over again: One need not depress the trigger to have a firearm discharge.

Every time, every single time, you load or unload your firearm, especially if it has an inertia firing pin, like a 1911, an 870 or an AR-15, the weapon can discharge.

Do NOT "just unload/load it in the parking lot." Ensure you have a proper backstop and not have Jasper's pick 'em up truck or I-65 as a backstop.

Eez gon, eez not safe.

If there is no backstop, where would you recommend one to unload their firearm? While they're in the car?
    Serious question, not trying to be a smartass.

Top Bottom