• misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    All,

Here is the linked article: Amtrak to become gun-friendly? | Gadling.com

I don't understand why we limit rights to carry to begin with - a CROOK will carry regardless of what the laws might say. I'm sure most of these business' are facing the same thing - our FED will not give any funding for business' that allow their patrons to carry.

Makes me mad!

RH822-A

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 11, 2008
    Pleasant Lake, Steuben County
    our FED will not give any funding for business' that allow their patrons to carry.

Read the article a little closer, it states that the "Fed" will withhold funding if Amtrak REFUSES to allow the transport of firearms.

The proposal was approved by a vote of 68 to 30 and would allow passengers to take firearms with them on trains

If it does not change its gun policy, the railroad would lose its $1.6 billion government subsidy

RH

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I've never understood why it is legal (and easy) to fly with a gun in baggage but illegal to ride a train with a gun in baggage. I've flown several times with multiple guns checked in my baggage and never had any problems. I've taken AmTrak exactly 1 time and see no reason to take them again until their policy changes.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I've never understood why it is legal (and easy) to fly with a gun in baggage but illegal to ride a train with a gun in baggage. I've flown several times with multiple guns checked in my baggage and never had any problems. I've taken AmTrak exactly 1 time and see no reason to take them again until their policy changes.

My :twocents:.

On a plane when you check in your evil item it is placed in the belly of the plane which means you can not get to it for the duration of the trip. Well you probably could but not very easily and in doing so you are going to be breaking a slew of laws. Besides the sheep can be at ease since they won't see no evil item with them in the cabin.

On a train a checked bag can be gotten to much easier since so that evil thing could be among the the sheep much quicker! Oh the horror! So no we cannot allow that to happen.

Plus and I just though of this right now. What "laws" apply to you when you fly vs on a train? What I mean by this is STATE LAW does not affect you when you are on a plane since you are in the "air over the US" but on a train being on the ground do not STATE LAWs affect you since you are in the STATE of xyz for several hours on your trip becfore going to another state. Do you know what I mean? Or does that "travel whatever" apply here as well. You know like when you travel from IN to say NM and you must go thru IL so long as the evil thing is locked you are OK going thru IL since that is not your destination.

Hum...
    Does the SOUTH SHORE have ay no-gun policy?

alxjmrk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Indy, Nora area
    wow he just pulled a gun out and petted it on national tv. haha well the information he gave wasnt anything we didnt know....so both of my posts are pointless.:ugh:

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I just asked my GF about this. She took the train from lafayette to Chicgao. She said she had no option to check a bag and no security. Same with the return trip. She took the train to get a cheaper flight out of ohare or something. This was 2 years ago, but I doubt things have changed.

diverdown219

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    N.W. IN
    Wouldn't the Peaceable Journey Law apply here?

§ 926A.​
    Interstate transportation of firearms
    Release date: 2005-08-03
    Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any
    political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from
    transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any
    lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any
    other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation
    the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily
    accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle:
    Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s
    compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the

glove compartment or console.

My :twocents:.

On a plane when you check in your evil item it is placed in the belly of the plane which means you can not get to it for the duration of the trip. Well you probably could but not very easily and in doing so you are going to be breaking a slew of laws. Besides the sheep can be at ease since they won't see no evil item with them in the cabin.

On a train a checked bag can be gotten to much easier since so that evil thing could be among the the sheep much quicker! Oh the horror! So no we cannot allow that to happen.

Plus and I just though of this right now. What "laws" apply to you when you fly vs on a train? What I mean by this is STATE LAW does not affect you when you are on a plane since you are in the "air over the US" but on a train being on the ground do not STATE LAWs affect you since you are in the STATE of xyz for several hours on your trip becfore going to another state. Do you know what I mean? Or does that "travel whatever" apply here as well. You know like when you travel from IN to say NM and you must go thru IL so long as the evil thing is locked you are OK going thru IL since that is not your destination.

Hum...
    Does the SOUTH SHORE have ay no-gun policy?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I've taken the train from Hammond, IN to Rochetster, NY and there is no security check point at either station. Nor are your bags checked/screened. You buy your ticket at the teller or online and wait for the train at the station. If you have a bag they take it when you board the train. Find yourself a seat and that is it. If you are in the sleeper cars you have a room to yourself otherwise you can roar the train as you please. Their is a snack car to eat fast-food type of things, a dinner car (for seat down eating) and depending on the route an observation car (typically west coast routes).

Top Bottom