• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingpin1779

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    near covington
    not sure if this goes here or not? while we are in the middle of a firearms,ammo shortage why not in vest in an adult air rifle. these can be spring powered as beeman r-9 ,pushing a 14.3 grain pellot @ 720 fps. or high pressure air rifles. hpa can be deadlyat 70 yards plus. these are filled to 3000 lbs per sqware inch. filled from a dive tank or from your local fire dept. check em out.:twocents:

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Fine for Squirrels and rodents, ok for practice - not suitable for HD or carry. Nope, think most people would be better off if they don't reload, investing in reloading equipment now. Reloading equipment and components including molds and casting equipment mean you will shoot cheaper ammo for life. Also once you stock up on powder, lead, primers and bullets, you are not subject to the vagaries of the market.

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    It's a great idea. I handled a used RWS 52 in a gun shop last weekend and it's physically bigger than most of my other long guns! I've seen some customs as large as .50 cal, but they only shot a lead round ball. I hunted small game with an airgun when I was younger and it was tons o' fun.

Tying this to Indiana, one famous air gun in history is the .36 caliber air gun that Lewis and Clark took with them on their expedition of 1804-06. They took it along for hunting, just in case the black powder got wet and also used it to impress the Indians, the Indians called this air rifle, "The smokeless thunder stick."

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Somewhere
    I frequent PyramidAir.com. I'm a huge proponent of "trigger time is trigger time".

Shooting a high powered nitro piston is a good way to start your foray into the world of air rifles. They are less expensive and have enough power to hunt small game with. The only downside is that cocking and loading each shot becomes a chore.

If you want to maximize fun, power, accuracy, and trigger time; invest in a Pre-Charged Pneumatic PCP rifle. They have reservoirs that you fill with high pressure air (around 3000psi) before you shoot. There's nothing to cock and most PCP's have magazines.

I own a Benjamine Maruader in .25cal and I absolutely LOVE it. I bought the package from pyramid air. It was a good deal. They set everything up for you before they ship it and it comes with everything you need, including the hand pump. $700 some odd dollars later, and I can shoot .25cal projectiles all day long, year round.

It's silent, has zero recoil, dead accurate up to 100yrds, has enough energy to easily dispatch a coyote, and you never really have to clean it like you do a powder burner. It's pretty much my go to squirrel/rabbit gun now. I haven't shot my .22's in over a year. I used it to take out a coon my father caught in his box trap.

The fact that it's dead silent makes it even more fun.

Every prepper should own at least one air rifle.

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    Interesting, I never really thought about it. However, it might be something nice to shoot in the yard, since officially I live in the city.

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    They are good for bad weather practice. I can work on trigger control, grip, breath control, and it all builds muscle memory.

I have a Crosman M4-.177, that will launch a pellet at up to 600 fps. It is a pump action and looks like an AR. In fact, it almost the same size as my BST AR-15.

Last week I received a Winchester M-14 semi-automatic air rifle. The length is the same as my M14(M-1A), but weighs a lot less. It runs on 2 CO2 cartridges and the muzzle velocity is 700 fps. The first time I shot the M14, I hit 41 out of 50 bulls-eyes at 25 feet (82%).

They are cheap to shoot; 500 Crosman .177 pellets for $7.00. I got the Crosman for $79.95, and the Winchester was $149.99. Small investment = big fun!

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    not sure if this goes here or not? while we are in the middle of a firearms,ammo shortage why not in vest in an adult air rifle. these can be spring powered as beeman r-9 ,pushing a 14.3 grain pellot @ 720 fps. or high pressure air rifles. hpa can be deadlyat 70 yards plus. these are filled to 3000 lbs per sqware inch. filled from a dive tank or from your local fire dept. check em out.:twocents:

I buy those for my boys to target practice with before I move them into 22lr.

The shortage isn't going to last and if you watch the larger ammo shops you can see its slowly coming around. Last month you couldn't land 223 or any type of common ammo, now its there and isn't selling out. Lucky Gunner has had 223 in stock for a week now, granted its costly, but to me its a sign it isn't selling like it was.
    A buddy says the same thing were he is, says stock piles of 223 and 9mm are laying longer now.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Hell walmart sells the break barrel type pellet guns, those are impressive. I know a guy who was 12 and shot a kid his age from 100yds away who was hurting a cat. He let the cat go, and was bleeding.

Nodnarb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Muncie
    I have a Gamo Zombie (same as the Big Cat) and a Crosman Backpacker 2289G. I'm able to shoot at home indoors and out with the Backpacker. The Zombie shoots 1250fps and with PBA ammo cracks like a 22. Both are fun and cheap to shoot. I've a few few thousand pellets stocked up for less than $20.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Do not discount an air rifle as a toy. For training purposes they are a great idea. My offhand and sitting position shooting abilities did not really come around until I dropped serious money on a Feinwerkebau olympic grade air rifle. It came certified to have less than .039" ctc error for a 10 shot group. With that kind of accuracy, you always know for sure where the error is. Since the 500 fps is so slow, it demands that you hold for proper follow thru.

Being able to train EVERY day right from your home will make a Master class marksman out of even a beginner. It would take multiple thousands of dollars for ammo, and wearing out a couple rifle barrels to learn those skills with a centerfire rifle. If you are a benchrest shooter, I am not sure you would benefit much, but an all position shooter does well with a quality pellet rifle.

For small game, hunting pellet rifles of .20, .22, .25 and up to 9mm are made.

Top Bottom