• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Turf Doctor

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I purchased a 1,000 round box of loose ammo and want to put I in ziplock bags. My question is, do I need to use a dry pack, those little packs that absorb moisture, in a metal ammo box?

It will be stored inside my house.

Thanks..

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    I don't think the silica packs would hurt if that's what your are asking. Is this for long term storage? The only time I've had a problem storing ammo is when it was handled and had oils from my hands on it.

gutpile

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    use the silica packs.......the least temp extreme the better basement, root cellar or cache it in the earth 24 inches plus in a shaded area

Turf Doctor

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I don't think the silica packs would hurt if that's what your are asking. Is this for long term storage? The only time I've had a problem storing ammo is when it was handled and had oils from my hands on it.

Not necessarily long term, maybe at least late summer. Of course depending how much I get out to shoot.

I will plan to pick up some packs and put them in the container.

Thanks.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Your ammo stored inside your home will enjoy the same environment that you and your family enjoy.

If it is comfortable for you, why would it not be comfortable for your ammo?

I fail to see why you need to do anything special.

Turf Doctor

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Your ammo stored inside your home will enjoy the same environment that you and your family enjoy.

If it is comfortable for you, why would it not be comfortable for your ammo?

I fail to see why you need to do anything special.

I appreciate your input, you make a very good point.

Thanks,
    Turf Doctor

joncon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    Bartholomew County
    I've had some ammo since the 70's stored in my house in the factory boxes, it looks just like it did when I purchased it. Shot a box of it last summer and it shot fine.

DoctorThunder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Not necessarily long term, maybe at least late summer. Of course depending how much I get out to shoot.

I will plan to pick up some packs and put them in the container.

Thanks.

A buddy recently showed me an affordable/reusable solution that minimizes storage space. FoodSaver makes a little handheld jobby that let's you vacuum seal their ziplock bags over and over. They also sell larger bags and containers. It's only $20 from Wally-World. Throw a silica pack in there and you're good to go. After you're done shooting, the bags are resealable.

FoodSaver FreshSaver Handheld Vacuum Sealing System - Walmart.com

Top Bottom