• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FutureButterBar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Don't Worry About It
    I recently bought an AR-15. It is a S&W. I have shot winchester through it with a fair amount of jams. I have shot remington through it with just 2 jams per 50. I was wondering if anyone could suggest some ammo that S&W's like. I know sometimes AR's are picky about what they will shoot out of them.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I know sometimes AR's are picky about what they will shoot out of them.

They shouldn't be. Might want to carefully diagnose your issues, as you shouldn't be experiencing ANY malfs with ANY ammo. With some good pics and a detailed description of the problems I'm sure there are INGOers who could make some recommendations.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Zero malfunctions are the norm, especially for your rifle.

What are you running for magazines? Mags are the most common reason why a AR malfunctions, but you didn't say what type of malfunction you experienced.

AR's are NOT picky about what they shoot out of them, with good mags.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Exactly. I have an M&P15 that's eaten everything I've thrown at it, and only chocked on some of my own reloads that turned out to have issues (my fault). Sounds like you might need to do some diagnosis of the failures.

crocket

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    i have owned a smith ar15 since it came out an i have never had any problems.did you clean the rifle be for you shot it ? it could be dirty from the fouling an packing grease.our it could be the mag,i shoot what ever i can reload or find out of mine and it loves it.......

FutureButterBar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Don't Worry About It
    mostly ejection probelms. i checked my gas rings and made sure they weren't lined up. oiled it. and ran on with life. i have never heard that before, but i was told AR's were by an ingo guy we were talking to the other day. im using a PMAG.
    i have had quiet a few jams in a AR before; however, ive gone swimming through muddy water with mine.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    mostly ejection probelms. i checked my gas rings and made sure they weren't lined up. oiled it. and ran on with life. i have never heard that before, but i was told AR's were by an ingo guy we were talking to the other day. im using a PMAG.
    i have had quiet a few jams in a AR before; however, ive gone swimming through muddy water with mine.

Maybe as a control test to rule out the ammo, you should by some Federal XM193 or similar "mil-spec" ammo to see if it functions better in your rifle.

Also, any accessories on the rifle, or is it bone stock? I've run mine with an H2 buffer without issues, but maybe there is something throwing off the timing just enough to cause the extraction issues.

FutureButterBar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Don't Worry About It
    Maybe as a control test to rule out the ammo, you should by some Federal XM193 or similar "mil-spec" ammo to see if it functions better in your rifle.

Also, any accessories on the rifle, or is it bone stock? I've run mine with an H2 buffer without issues, but maybe there is something throwing off the timing just enough to cause the extraction issues.

Ill double check my ammo. i bought it new with a 4 point stock. i bought it, oiled it, and shot it. i've already cleaned it. ill take it out this weekend and if anything messes up, ill take it to a local gun shop.
    sadly my knowledge of AR-15, is being able to clean, maintain, and basic field strip. ill have someone check it out if i have issues.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    An ejection problem.....
    You're saying that the empty casing remains partly or completely inside of the receiver as the action tries to feed a fresh round?
    Can you post some pics and/or a better description?
    All of the S&W that I've seen have a semi bolt carrier and a CAR buffer. Also they have a relatively large gas port. I don't have the dimension right now.
    That's not an ideal combination, but it should work with a dirty gun or weak ammo.
    I would clean the chamber very well and look at the extractor and spring/insert real well. Also make sure that the ejector is lubed and moves freely but with strong spring pressure.
    I don't have much to go on but it may be that 1) The extractor is losing control of the spent cartridge before it can be ejected. 2) The ejector is weak or sticking.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    There was another INGOer recently who was having some extraction issues that folks narrowed down to a mis-aligned gas block. What kind of gas block are you running?

Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    I have an M&P Sport. Ive had a couple of fail-to-feeds but that was after firing 30 or 40 blanks so the gun was nasty dirty and it was an old junky mag given to me by a friend. I dont blame the gun.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I guess the first test would be to load only one round per mag, fire the gun and see that the bolt locks back on an empty mag. Do this several times.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    My Armalite was finicky through the first hundred or so rounds when it was new, but it has settled down and eats everything I feed it now without issues. Try shooting some mil-spec ammo through it to get things broke in.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    My M&P-15T is a very early version but runs most all ammo well. I use P-Mags.
    It really likes S&B ammo for accuracy but never has a feed problem. Even feeds Wolf well.

adam

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    There was another INGOer recently who was having some extraction issues that folks narrowed down to a mis-aligned gas block. What kind of gas block are you running?

+1 on this. Buddy had a carbine length AR that would single shot after about 20 rounds. Turned out to be a loose gas block that would wiggle and mis-align itself.

Top Bottom