• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whatscooking

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Madison,In
    I have been on the NRA site to try to figure out if my Indiana permit will allow me to carry on a trip i want to take to the Blue Ridge Parkway, it doesn't help that i have a dial up connection=so slow= but can anyone help me with this,i read where you are legal in the park if your permit is good.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    You weren't very specific in your note about where you are going. Handgun laws are generally per-state. The Blue Ridge Parkway extends through North Carolina, Tennessee and Virginia. The Indiana LTCH is only valid for the first two. If you have the Utah non-resident permit, that will cover Virginia.

Please note that you have to follow each state's laws as you pass through them. A very good resource for learning about carry reciprocity is Handgunlaw.us

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    The BRP is a 469 mile long trail that goes through NC and VA. If you are going to NC then you are legal to carry on the BRP. Not sure about VA. I have a place in the mountains of NC less than 5 miles from the BRP.

whatscooking

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Madison,In
    I will go through Ky,Tn, and up through Va for part of the BRP, i see that our permit is no good for Va which makes it wrong to take along a pistol,how many people would do it anyway.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Don't leave your self-defense tool at home. You can transport even through states like Illinois in a non-usable form.

§ 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms
    Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

One warning, this law appears to read that you can legally transport through VA, but if you are going to a park or other location in VA, you may be out of luck. If you are going through VA, just lock it up before entering and pull it back out when you've entered a friendlier state. No problem and perfectly legal.

Last edited:

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Open carry is legals in Virginia, no permit needed, just check to see where u can't carry according to their laws.

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    pudley is correct on the suggested approach. I did not know that Virginia is an open carry state, thanks for that update sj.

The BRP is a beaurtiful drive. I've done it both ways, once on a motorcycle. The best times, imo, are spring when the redbuds and dogwoods are blooming, and fall when the color is out. FYI, I think the top speed is 40 mph, so you are gonna have plenty of time to appreciate the scenery.

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Open carry is legals in Virginia, no permit needed, just check to see where u can't carry according to their laws.

Exactly what I was thinking! I believe open carry is fairly common in Virginia, especially the way their restaurant/bar carry laws were. I believe that also changed. Check Handgunlaw.us for more info.

Top Bottom