• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lester

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Greencastle
    I learned this lesson in 1998 when the big ice storm hit Fort Drum. Nothing electric would work for days, we had a new born son at our quarters, and no one had any money; no more than a couple bucks or so. It had just been payday but it was all on the debit card. The corner grocery store in Black River that was open with a generator has no means to debit the account for purchases. Always, Always, Always have emergency cash available.

$1000 in physical cash, in a safe, at home is appropriate. You can run your household for quite some time on that amount of money if the other bills are pushed to the side throughout the emergency time. $1000 in physical cash will buy a large amount of groceries, even at 'emergency' prices. At Fort Drum in '98, some of the outlying communities were out of power for 45 days. So, I plan around having cash for supplies that my preps cannot cover for more than just a few weeks.

I also recommend another stash in each of your family's vehicles -- enough to buy gas to get home from the furthest you might drive, as well as a hotel for a night. I learned this lesson at Fort Campbell when we had a hundred year flood. The road into and out of my house was flooded. The house was dry, but there was no feasible way to access it. You always need to have cash to find lodging and dining.

A trick I have learned as a control measure is to vacuum seal the cash to eliminate the temptation of borrowing from it. I have created for my family several money packs that serve different roles and are different sizes. Smaller packs in the go bags and larger packs for longer-term eventualities. Before I learned to seal them, I would always 'borrow' 20 bucks or so from myself. But then, of course, something always gets in the way of paying yourself back. The purpose of the emergency stash is diminished if the amount decreases and it isn't replenished. Seal the money packs and this temptation subsides.

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    I learned to stash cash on my motorcycle, as my long rides with little planning often put me in small towns where debit/credit aren't always welcome. I try to keep a decent amount of cash in my wallet, but the stash serves as a good JIC.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    My Grandfather gave me the same advice a while back. I'm under no illusions that the greenback will be worth anything if SHTF, but for small service interruptions and perhaps the first days of something bad, cash may be king.

lester

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Greencastle
    My Grandfather gave me the same advice a while back. I'm under no illusions that the greenback will be worth anything if SHTF, but for small service interruptions and perhaps the first days of something bad, cash may be king.

I like the remind myself that there is a significant range of potential emergencies that can befall us between 'today is a good day' and TEOTWAWKI. In most of them, cash still has a purpose. I often find myself getting caught up in the apocalyptic preparations, but most of what is likely to happen to any one of us throughout our adult lives will be disruptions and personal emergencies that don't include mutant zombie bikers. We have to prepare for those, too.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    I think this is great advice, but harder for some of us to accomplish than others. Regardless if one could have $1000 I think it would be good to have as much as you can. I like the idea about the sealing the money too.

ClydeB

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    Southern Hoosier
    I practice the same. Though any paper cash that's kept at home is in a water resistant fire proof lock box I keep tucked away. Just in case something ever happens to the house.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Very sound advice. Been doing that for years as well. Never sealed it, but always have something tucked back.

When my oldest started to drive I gave her fifty bucks in split denominations. She still has it because fortunately no emergency has befallen her.

We just added a small safe in the gun safe and put some cash in there as well.

Keeping smaller notes seems to work better when you are trying to barter, especially if the other guy says he can't make change.

PAMom

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    I learned this lesson in 1998 when the big ice storm hit Fort Drum. Nothing electric would work for days, we had a new born son at our quarters, and no one had any money; no more than a couple bucks or so. It had just been payday but it was all on the debit card. The corner grocery store in Black River that was open with a generator has no means to debit the account for purchases. Always, Always, Always have emergency cash available.

$1000 in physical cash, in a safe, at home is appropriate. You can run your household for quite some time on that amount of money if the other bills are pushed to the side throughout the emergency time. $1000 in physical cash will buy a large amount of groceries, even at 'emergency' prices. At Fort Drum in '98, some of the outlying communities were out of power for 45 days. So, I plan around having cash for supplies that my preps cannot cover for more than just a few weeks.

I also recommend another stash in each of your family's vehicles -- enough to buy gas to get home from the furthest you might drive, as well as a hotel for a night. I learned this lesson at Fort Campbell when we had a hundred year flood. The road into and out of my house was flooded. The house was dry, but there was no feasible way to access it. You always need to have cash to find lodging and dining.

A trick I have learned as a control measure is to vacuum seal the cash to eliminate the temptation of borrowing from it. I have created for my family several money packs that serve different roles and are different sizes. Smaller packs in the go bags and larger packs for longer-term eventualities. Before I learned to seal them, I would always 'borrow' 20 bucks or so from myself. But then, of course, something always gets in the way of paying yourself back. The purpose of the emergency stash is diminished if the amount decreases and it isn't replenished. Seal the money packs and this temptation subsides.

I vacuum pack cash as well. I have small stashes in different places around the house. In addition to the safe I have put some in our freezers - as fire protection.

My husband thinks I am a little crazy. He WILL thank me one day!

Justin Case

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    Brown County
    I like the remind myself that there is a significant range of potential emergencies that can befall us between 'today is a good day' and TEOTWAWKI. In most of them, cash still has a purpose. I often find myself getting caught up in the apocalyptic preparations, but most of what is likely to happen to any one of us throughout our adult lives will be disruptions and personal emergencies that don't include mutant zombie bikers. We have to prepare for those, too.

This is so true. I have silver and barter items stored away for TEOTWAWKI, but also some cash justin case :):

:+1:

Top Bottom