WTB: Aluminum work for the Humvee…or suggestions where to get this done.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Please reply by conversation.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Kids,

I need a part fabbed up for the humvee. The idea is this.

photo-88-139.png

Pioneer-Kit-2.jpg

rack.jpg

IMG-20101226-00068.jpg

Essentially i need a sheet of aluminum cut, bent to the general slope of the hood, the pockets welded in place for the tools and everything else i can take care of (tiedowns, paint, etc). I already have a source for the ratcheting tie downs as they're made by a fire rescue company. The company that makes this is called Military Systems Group, however they only sell to .mil so i'd like to make a repro. As far as i know only 1 or two has made it to the civilian surplus market as they are mostly for Special Forces HMMWVs. If anyone can help me out, or guide me to someone who knows what they're doing with aluminum, i'd really appreciate it.

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    I can ask around, I know some metal fabricators. If all else, I can send you a bumper sticker for the Humvee.

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    I own a fab shop. I build some wild stuff, and that's no problem. I have some very nice 1/4" aluminum tread plate (Not diamond plate, actual tread plate. Would definetly look cool.) sitting on the rack.

Maybe you'd want a rifle rack incorporated?

I'd need dimensions and specifically the contour of the hood. Short of having blueprints on-hand, I wouldn't build it without your vehicle at my shop to ensure good fitment.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    FP:
    that sounds excellent. Unfortunately I could probably buy a humvee in lowell for the price in gas it would cost to drive mine up there :( . Apparently the government wasn't to concerned with MPGs. I may be able to get some drawings and measurements. The slope of the hood is very minimal and would probably conform to it's shape just by using the mounting holes. I dunno though.

Farm:
    I would certainly consider it, but i currently have 5 37" wrangler MTRs, 4 37" BFGs, and 2 37" GSAs I'm swimming in tires, but if I get like 12 flats I'll hit you up. You should buy my extra 12 bolt rims :)

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I love you so much right now!

actaeon:
    ill have the transfer case back in it today, then testing until Monday to make sure there aren't any leaks. Assuming its GTG , you have a license, and you're not a villain you can take her for a spin.

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    FP:
    that sounds excellent. Unfortunately I could probably buy a humvee in lowell for the price in gas it would cost to drive mine up there :( . Apparently the government wasn't to concerned with MPGs. I may be able to get some drawings and measurements. The slope of the hood is very minimal and would probably conform to it's shape just by using the mounting holes. I dunno though.

If you could take the hood up there, that would save the gas. Crazy how low MPG's are on .mil vic's, but you don't even want to know how much fuel we'd burn in our XM104 Wolverines. They have the same turbine engines and chassis as the M1A1 MBT, but they sure are nice to stand behind during the winter and enjoy the warm exhaust.

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    Heh, you think a HMMWV gets bad fuel efficiency...

M1's drive with motorcycle-style steering, and can stop on a dime if you're not going too fast. Pretty crazy to be moving 69 tons of tank, and slam on the brake...

Status
    Please reply by conversation.
    Top Bottom