• Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Work Sharp Knife and Tool Sharpener

Work_Sharp_Knife_50896c8db9c26.jpg

http://www.worksharptools.com/wskts/work-sharp-knife-and-tool-sharpener/flypage.pbv.tabs.tpl.html

Sharpens anything you have and puts a really good, long lasting edge on knives, mower blades, scissors, kitchen knives. Follow up with a leather strop for surgical sharp blades. I have this and it works!

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Just got my Sharpmaker in the mail.

I can't sharpen a knife to save my life, but was getting paper slicing edges in minutes with the sharpmaker. I'm very impressed.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    spyderco sharpmaker!, ive tried everything, smiths, lasky, stones, but with the sharpmaker, i get everything sharp! in no time!, think paid 50.00 on amazon about a year ago, and this year i bought 2 extra fine rods, they were 25.00 each,

ive never tried the wicked edge, but at 300.00 i doubt i ever will, but i hear great things about them(but 300.00!)

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I'd like to see the edge this makes under magnification. With the flexible belt, it seems it would re-profile every edge to a convex.

It does somewhat. The edge seems to last longer than any other method I have used though. Paper slicing, hair shaving etc etc. All the kitchen knives I have done with it slice meat and veggies VERY well and so far my wife hasn't cut herself. She always says that she cuts herself when the knives are sharp but in reality, it happens more when they are dull.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I have this and it does a fantastic job on kitchen and hunting knives. It will take a rounded off, notched up blade to shaving sharp in a few minutes.

41vA8spD5zL._SX450_.jpg

Amazon.com: Chef's Choice 120 Diamond Hone 3-Stage Professional Knife Sharpener, White: Kitchen & Dining

I would not subject even a $10 blade to one of those. In the kitchen I managed I paid out of pocket to have our knives professionally sharpened twice a month rather than destroy them on the Chef's Choice sharpener that was corporate mandated to "reduce cost".

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/the_cutting_edge/296350-chefs_choice_sharpeners.html

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Just realized I never really answered the OP.

Another vote for the Sharpmaker. I added the diamond and ultra fine stones to really round out the system.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Did you actually try it?

Yep. Removed way too much material for what should have been a quick touch up and created a jagged sloppy "edge" (if you could call it that) with burs in every direction. I could freehand a better edge with sandpaper.

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Well, that's too bad. I certainly have to finish mine with a steel but it is the best option I've found for home use. I am not using my knives in the amount nearly as much as a professional kitchen though.

They have a new one that lets you set the angle(s) which may be one of the issues. Anyway, I don't sell the things and I like mine.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Lots of INGO love for the Sharpmaker.

I HAD one. Couldn't ever get the hang of it. Don't know what that says about me, but I couldn't ever get my wrist to stay in the correct position.

Sold it a few months ago.

I wish I could justify and afford a Wicked Edge. But in all honesty, I'll probably end up with the Lanskey system one of these days. Inherently more dangerous operation since you're running your hands towards an ever-more-sharp blade, but if you go slow enough, shouldn't be a big deal.

The big plus, to me, is how the Lanskey forces you into the angle that you're aiming for, rather than HOPING your wrist is locked into place with the Sharpmaker.

-J-

alc1985

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Burns Harbor by the Dunes
    I have been using a Lanskey for over twenty years. When the time came to replace some of my stones I thought about just getting the Sharpmaker untill I tried one at a swap meet. Its ok but the Lanskey keeps the angles true better than the Sharpmaker IMO.

Top Bottom