• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Here's something for the supporters of the recent shooting of a homeless man to think about. Albuquerque's PD has a long history of killing people, covering it up and just willing their problems to go away. Here we have a city that would, in all likelihood be better served without a police department. Indiana's own Radley Balko took a look at this horrible excuse for a police department and exposes their corruption for everyone to see. The recent murder of the homeless camper is just the tip of a very dirty iceberg. I doubt this behaviour would be tolerated in Indiana.

Albuquerque's long history of police abuse, cover-up and scandal

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    APD has a looong history of bad behaviour. It does not help that they have the rep of being difficult.

In fact we have an INGOer who clashes with them regularly. I'll see if he can comment.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    In what way is APD's training unrealistic?
    Obviously they are putting unrealistic stressors on "self defence" and allowing murder to be done in the name of self defence. Officer safety uber alles is not the best training a cop could get. Obviously, something is seriously wrong with the training in their department if they've had as many shootings and killings as they have. Go to the gun, should not be the first response. Nor should "throw flash bangs to provoke". They're a department out of control. And it's apparently been going on for a lot of years. Paying bounties on kills? Sheesh. I'd say they need some of IMPDs people or just about any decent Indiana department to go down and retrain them to act like real cops and not gang bangers with badges.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    APD has a looong history of bad behaviour. It does not help that they have the rep of being difficult.

In fact we have an INGOer who clashes with them regularly. I'll see if he can comment.

Mosinowner is following in your footsteps at such a tender age?

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What happened this time was that they had a crime wave and the city council over reacted and hired a lot of new recruits. Most of the excessive force complains tend to happen within the first five years that a cop in on the force. Then they mature out.

The democrats in Indy want the city to hire about 500 new cops. If they have large classes, in two years you will similar complains.

The 'me generation' and the future of law enforcement
    Recruiting the 21st Century police officer
    Facebook Forum: Weighing in on 'millennial' police recruits
    The Facebook Generation: Millennials are reshaping the American economy

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Still spouting BS Trooper. You have no clue what you are talking about. It's not the democrats wanting more cops, it's just about everyone, including the cops themselves.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Still spouting BS Trooper. You have no clue what you are talking about. It's not the democrats wanting more cops, it's just about everyone, including the cops themselves.
    Property owners may pay tab for new cops

In this article the city-county council (mostly the democrats) want to have an academy class of 100 every year up through 2018. If they do that Indy will look like Albuquerque as it will have too many rookies on the street. Far better to have an academy class every other year. 1st year six months at the academy then a year and half on the street with an FTO. The second year is spend recruiting and screening for the next academy class. Space out the recruiting classes. If you fill out the ranks, cut the size of the class back so that it just covers replacements. If you need a few more, make the class a bit larger. But it needs to be a two year cycle with a year between classes.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    Property owners may pay tab for new cops

In this article the city-county council (mostly the democrats) want to have an academy class of 100 every year up through 2018. If they do that Indy will look like Albuquerque as it will have too many rookies on the street. Far better to have an academy class every other year. 1st year six months at the academy then a year and half on the street with an FTO. The second year is spend recruiting and screening for the next academy class. Space out the recruiting classes. If you fill out the ranks, cut the size of the class back so that it just covers replacements. If you need a few more, make the class a bit larger. But it needs to be a two year cycle with a year between classes.

When did you become an expert on police training. How do you somehow know more about academy scheduling than the police department?

A constant theme with you is throwing out a punch of statements and generalizations with absolutely nothing to back them up. Show is some hard evidence as to why it will be better to have an academy every other year. Explain to us how you became such an expert in the field of police work. :popcorn:

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When did you become an expert on police training. How do you somehow know more about academy scheduling than the police department?

A constant theme with you is throwing out a punch of statements and generalizations with absolutely nothing to back them up. Show is some hard evidence as to why it will be better to have an academy every other year. Explain to us how you became such an expert in the field of police work.

You are facing pressure from the political class. Do not give into it. It is far better to add to the ranks slowly than to add too many, too soon. Any organization that expands too fast often has huge problems. Add too many rookies in a hurry and you will not be able to mentor them properly. The will overwhelm you.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    You are facing pressure from the political class. Do not give into it. It is far better to add to the ranks slowly than to add too many, too soon. Any organization that expands too fast often has huge problems. Add too many rookies in a hurry and you will not be able to mentor them properly. The will overwhelm you.

No, we are facing a relentless barrage of BS by a self proclaimed know it all who is predominantly wrong in his conclusions.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I don't profess to be an expert on law enforcement, but my observation is that the single biggest issue is the preexisting moral fiber of the department. I have seen in practice that corrupt departments will weed out righteous officers and good departments will weed out corrupt or otherwise undesirable officers.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't profess to be an expert on law enforcement, but my observation is that the single biggest issue is the preexisting moral fiber of the department. I have seen in practice that corrupt departments will weed out righteous officers and good departments will weed out corrupt or otherwise undesirable officers.

In two years, no matter how good a job you do in the academy, you will have an increase of excessive force complaints due to having rookie cops on the streets.

Remember the Sanders/Faber incident? Young officer just a year and half out of the academy. Hot August day. Neighbors not too happy that a white dude was living in the neighborhood. Lots of complains about the dog. Young officer (Faber) shows up to tell Sanders (teacher at a private school who bought the house for a dollar) to get the dog under control. Sanders get angry, slams the door in the face of Faber. Faber isn't going to let him do that to him so he forces his way in. Sanders guns him down with a .30-30 rifle. All over a dog who dies about a week later. IPD response to the the scene, officer down. Beats the crap out of Sanders. Sanders does eight years. All over a dog.

Greg Garrison has talked about it. Had there been a senior officer with Faber, it might have been pointed out that it was not worth his life to die over a dog! Let it go.

About the only guy I know who is left from that era is Sgt Steve Duell who was a FTO back then. He pointed out that back then too many officers were too young, that the recruiting age needed to be raised to 25 as the kids just did not have the life experience at 21 to be ready for LE. Too many, even if they were in college, just had not mixed with other races. I do think that aspect has been evolved and that the potential recruits are more use to diversity than in the 1990s. But Sgt Duell (MSGT, USAR) was right that the lower age needs to be 25.

BTW, San Jose CA PD might be the most professional department in the US.

T755

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Well. You should apply since clearly you have the problem solved and have soooo much knowledge on the subject. It all so clear now. Political pressure. …. Throwing out the Faber incident from days of yore with incorrect facts. Moot point anyway . The only hiring will be for the cricket and soccer teams…….

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    In two years, no matter how good a job you do in the academy, you will have an increase of excessive force complaints due to having rookie cops on the streets.

Remember the Sanders/Faber incident? Young officer just a year and half out of the academy. Hot August day. Neighbors not too happy that a white dude was living in the neighborhood. Lots of complains about the dog. Young officer (Faber) shows up to tell Sanders (teacher at a private school who bought the house for a dollar) to get the dog under control. Sanders get angry, slams the door in the face of Faber. Faber isn't going to let him do that to him so he forces his way in. Sanders guns him down with a .30-30 rifle. All over a dog who dies about a week later. IPD response to the the scene, officer down. Beats the crap out of Sanders. Sanders does eight years. All over a dog.

Greg Garrison has talked about it. Had there been a senior officer with Faber, it might have been pointed out that it was not worth his life to die over a dog! Let it go.

About the only guy I know who is left from that era is Sgt Steve Duell who was a FTO back then. He pointed out that back then too many officers were too young, that the recruiting age needed to be raised to 25 as the kids just did not have the life experience at 21 to be ready for LE. Too many, even if they were in college, just had not mixed with other races. I do think that aspect has been evolved and that the potential recruits are more use to diversity than in the 1990s. But Sgt Duell (MSGT, USAR) was right that the lower age needs to be 25.

BTW, San Jose CA PD might be the most professional department in the US.

You are so full of **** you don't even know what caliber gun Faber was shot with. And Sgt. Duell's opinion doesn't equal fact.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    There is no question that IPD has some problem issues 20-25 years ago, some I would argue more serious than the aforementioned incident. So far as I am concerned, the department invested the effort necessary to remedy its issues which is why the problems which happened a quarter of a century ago do not happen now. I am much happier to see the good results we have seen since then and offer my appreciation for a job well done in correcting some problems than I would be to throw bricks. Further, it is necessary to understand that past problems are good material from which to learn in order to avoid repetition, but that criticism based on long-solved problems is much like criticizing me (or any other among us) for having crapped his pants regularly at one point in his life. I am happy that IMPD is represented by people I would want for neighbors rather than some they had to weed out 20+ years ago, and congratulate them for having done so.

Top Bottom