• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doug1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Crestview, Florida
    We've been in Alaska for almost 2 years now. Drove from Indiana all the way up to Anchorage in 2008. Hope you enjoy the pictures. We have hundreds more.

Bull Moose in our front yard
    DSCN7721.jpg

Bald Eagle
    DSC00133.jpg

Caribou
    DSC00733.jpg

DSC00035.jpg

SANY0697.jpg

SANY0655.jpg

DSC00504.jpg

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I miss Anchorage. It's my favorite place on the planet. We'd be there if it weren't so far away from the rest of our families.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Nice! How long did it take you to drive? A week?

I went to college, in Evansville, with two guys from Anchorage. They said that it'd take them an entire week to get there...but they weren't hammering the drive.

-J-

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    Absolutely beautiful country. I would like to go there sometime. Nice pics and thanks. Seeing such a large animal in your front or back yard like that would be a sight to see for sure.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Nice! How long did it take you to drive? A week?

I went to college, in Evansville, with two guys from Anchorage. They said that it'd take them an entire week to get there...but they weren't hammering the drive.

-J-

It took me three days to get from Anchorage to my friend's home in Wyoming, and I WAS hammering it. Drove it in early March, before any of the campgrounds were open, before the tourists clogged the Highway. I'd intended to take a week, but found myself racing a snow storm, and lost. At one point, I found myself at the bottom of a hill, then the road immediately went up another hill. There was a hairpin turn at the bottom, so you couldn't get a run to go up the next hill. "Hills" on the Alaskan Highway take on a whole new meaning to anything I've seen in the lower 48, even out west. The grades are incredible. I was stuck. My little Geo Storm GSi just wouldn't make it up the hill. I couldn't see a thing through the falling snow, and knew I was still a LONG way from the next stop. Poor car would make it about a quarter of the way up, then start sliding backwards. Sat at the bottom, wondering what to do, prayed, and then went right up the hill like the roads were dry. That was the beginning of my real belief in Christ and the power of prayer. At another point, I was driving along a ridge on top of a mountain range, looking at the clouds from that storm waaaay below me. Those roads don't have guardrails, and at many points the road ends, and a BIIIIIG dropoff happens. Keeps you on your toes! Somewhere at her house, my mom has pictures of my car surrounded by caribou licking salt off the road outside of Fairbanks. They ignored my horn, but not my car. It was covered in salt, so they started licking it too, LOL. One of the pictures is of the inside of one of their mouths as it licked salt off my drivers side window. Crossing the Yukon was cool. So was the town of Fireside, which was nothing but a trailer and a gas station.

Driving the Alaskan Highway is a true adventure, one I highly commend to anyone. The memories will last a lifetime. I did it almost twenty years ago, and still remember it like yesterday. I do recommend doing it just before tourist season really starts, cause once it does I'm told the road is jammed. IMHO, you can only really experience the size and power of the place when it's just your car out there, no campgrounds, and fuel stops and any source of help are hundreds of miles apart.When I drove it, I went one of those days seeing only one other truck headed the opposite direction. I'll probably never get to move back to Alaska, but a vacation there, to include a drive up the Highway, is one of two big trips my family plans to take before Sean heads off on his own. The other is a trip to Scotland.

Last edited:

doug1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Crestview, Florida
    Well we drove from Otwell In to Minot North Dakota in 1 day. Then we left there and drove 5 days all the way to Anchorage. 12-16 hours of driving per day. We have it planned for 7 days when we leave here next summer. With a 15 month old and a dog plus pulling a trailer we figure it will take a bit longer. Plus we want to enjoy the trip a bit more this time and with no deadline it shouldn't be a problem.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    It took me three days to get from Anchorage to my friend's home in Wyoming, and I WAS hammering it. Drove it in early March, before any of the campgrounds were open, before the tourists clogged the Highway. I'd intended to take a week, but found myself racing a snow storm, and lost. At one point, I found myself at the bottom of a hill, then the road immediately went up another hill. There was a hairpin turn at the bottom, so you couldn't get a run to go up the next hill. "Hills" on the Alaskan Highway take on a whole new meaning to anything I've seen in the lower 48, even out west. The grades are incredible. I was stuck. My little Geo Storm GSi just wouldn't make it up the hill. I couldn't see a thing through the falling snow, and knew I was still a LONG way from the next stop. Poor car would make it about a quarter of the way up, then start sliding backwards. Sat at the bottom, wondering what to do, prayed, and then went right up the hill like the roads were dry. That was the beginning of my real belief in Christ and the power of prayer. At another point, I was driving along a ridge on top of a mountain range, looking at the clouds from that storm waaaay below me. Those roads don't have guardrails, and at many points the road ends, and a BIIIIIG dropoff happens. Keeps you on your toes! Somewhere at her house, my mom has pictures of my car surrounded by caribou licking salt off the road outside of Fairbanks. They ignored my horn, but not my car. It was covered in salt, so they started licking it too, LOL. One of the pictures is of the inside of one of their mouths as it licked salt off my drivers side window. Crossing the Yukon was cool. So was the town of Fireside, which was nothing but a trailer and a gas station.

Driving the Alaskan Highway is a true adventure, one I highly commend to anyone. The memories will last a lifetime. I did it almost twenty years ago, and still remember it like yesterday. I do recommend doing it just before tourist season really starts, cause once it does I'm told the road is jammed. IMHO, you can only really experience the size and power of the place when it's just your car out there, no campgrounds, and fuel stops and any source of help are hundreds of miles apart.When I drove it, I went one of those days seeing only one other truck headed the opposite direction. I'll probably never get to move back to Alaska, but a vacation there, to include a drive up the Highway, is one of two big trips my family plans to take before Sean heads off on his own. The other is a trip to Scotland.

Fantastic story, Joe!

Well we drove from Otwell In to Minot North Dakota in 1 day. Then we left there and drove 5 days all the way to Anchorage. 12-16 hours of driving per day. We have it planned for 7 days when we leave here next summer. With a 15 month old and a dog plus pulling a trailer we figure it will take a bit longer. Plus we want to enjoy the trip a bit more this time and with no deadline it shouldn't be a problem.

Oh man, a dog AND a toddler? Towing a trailer too? I do NOT envy that drive.

EvilleDoug

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Evansville
    I know they have a Naval Station in Alaska, and now I know there are Air Force personnel in Alaska. What I would like to know, are there any Marines in Alaska. If so, then I hope the wife receives orders to Alaska.

I think I would be in Heaven if we were able to go there.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I know they have a Naval Station in Alaska, and now I know there are Air Force personnel in Alaska. What I would like to know, are there any Marines in Alaska. If so, then I hope the wife receives orders to Alaska.

I think I would be in Heaven if we were able to go there.

What Naval base is in Alaska? I thought it was just Air Force and Army up there? I think the closest to Alaska that you would get is CA.

Here is the list of them.......... I hear HI is really nice.... I hear the same about Japan but I hear the humidity is ruff.

List of United States Marine Corps installations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    My Father lives out in Eagle River Alaska. He sent me pictures once. I've always wanted to visit. You are a very lucy person, indeed.

bmwdud

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2010
    fort wayne
    pic's looks good :rockwoot:
    i go up to Healy every few years to see a friend
    last time i went up in first part of march and did some 4 wheeling and had a blast
    got up to 0 in the day time , 28 below at night
    was got chased by some moose one time , still had a good time.
    remind's me that it is time to go back
    got any pic,s of some snow

thanks

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    Thanks for sharing your experience in Alaska. I read somewhere you guys have 40 days without sunlight and live in total darkness of the sky. Then in the summer, the daylight is longest. I remember it was still sunny at 12am.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Thanks for sharing your experience in Alaska. I read somewhere you guys have 40 days without sunlight and live in total darkness of the sky. Then in the summer, the daylight is longest. I remember it was still sunny at 12am.

Why does this happen in Alaska? - Yahoo! Answers

How long is it daytime or nighttime in Alaska? - Yahoo! Answers

Id love to at least have a vacation home or shack in Alaska at some point but doubt I would want to be up near the artic circle.

Top Bottom