Al Sharpton, SJW's, BLM and me. Pics on Tuesday 19JUL16.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Some people say "Hey, a dollar is a dollar." Well, I'm going to put that to a stress test next Sunday. This intrepid author and eight other audio, video, and lighting professionals will be providing said services to The Roots, Cornel West and Al Sharpton. I hope the Roots are as excellent musicians as I've heard that they are, because I'm diametrically opposed to the others from politics down to the basic philosophy of life.

That fact that the concert is the destination of a "march for social justice" does nothing to heighten my enthusiasm, and raises security questions as I'm sure this will be a GFZ.

I have decided that I will attempt to get a picture of the most Reverend Al and myself, possibly making an inappropriate gesture if possible.

I can hardly wait. :rolleyes:

The Roots, Al Sharpton to headline concert and march on eve of RNC: Mark Naymik | cleveland.com

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Please please please wear an INGO hat/t-shirt. :) I've been around techies, so I know the dress code can be relaxed (to the point of non-existent).

If you don't have one, I'm confident we can get one donated for you. :D

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    As far as dress code goes: Some non slip soled shoes or boots would be in order to avoid slipping on his slime trail.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Please please please wear an INGO hat/t-shirt. :) I've been around techies, so I know the dress code can be relaxed (to the point of non-existent).

If you don't have one, I'm confident we can get one donated for you. :D

This was my initial choice, but surely someone in Al's entourage would put the kabash on it...

On the other hand, I may be able to get by wearing my Indiana chapter of the Independent Non Governmental Organization shirt...

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Bingo. Second one should work.

"Yeah, its my softball team. We're pretty good. You guys should come play and drink beer with us."

And then there'll be an urgent post for an INGO softball game if they take you up on it. :D

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Here's the venue early yesterday morning. The lower half of the bowl is below ground with one exit (the loading dock) without going up to the main concourse.

Tomorrow (Saturday) is a day long worship service with multiple bands. Tomorrow night around 10pm the Roots backline stuff is scheduled to arrive, and Sunday the SJW's take over. :rolleyes:

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Here's the venue early yesterday morning. The lower half of the bowl is below ground with one exit (the loading dock) without going up to the main concourse.

Tomorrow (Saturday) is a day long worship service with multiple bands. Tomorrow night around 10pm the Roots backline stuff is scheduled to arrive, and Sunday the SJW's take over. :rolleyes:

Do you...um...know anybody with access to the TelePrompTer?

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010

Do you...um...know anybody with access to the TelePrompTers?

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I don't know what pressure was applied, but Sharpton and his march for "social justice" was cancelled. Al Sharpton-led march canceled in light of Dallas shootings, organizer says | cleveland.com So there was no chance for an INGO/Sharpton photo op which made me a little sad. OTOH, there was no violence so I'm saying it was a good tradeoff. There were not any "Beretta's not allowed" signs, though there were "no smoking" signs posted at all entry points of the venue. I followed the posted signage...

There was also signage in the sky.

Saturday's show was essentially a 10hr Christian church service; six local worship/praise bands and about eleventy-zillion speakers of all colors from different denominations. It was completely apolitical; no mention of Dems or Repubs or Trump/Clinton. Given that the venue was just outside the Green Zone and that the Mayor asked all local residents to avoid downtown, there were only about 1500 attendees.

Security on Saturday was surprisingly absent, IMO. The visible security was a smattering of local police, but it was mostly venue security augmented by church volunteers. There may have been more security that was "invisible," I had technical issues that kept me from really searching. Attendees were not wanded before entry. I was surprised as I had judged this event to be the juicier target of the two events from a terrorist's perspective.

I was the first person to arrive at the venue on Sunday, and a Cleveland police officer got there shortly afterwards. We chatted while we waited for the facility manager to open the arena and he said security was going to be "much tighter today." It was. Since I arrived early I was able to enter before the employee/crew checkpoint was set up; between making nice with the police and having an "all access" pass I was allowed to enter without being wanded... funny how that worked out, almost like it was planned.

Once the checkpoint was set up the show crew and performers (and their bags/gear/luggage) were wanded the first time they entered, but not on subsequent re-entries. All other employees and attendees were wanded every time they entered. At this point I want to reiterate that this venue was outside of the RNC green zone, and before the the official start of the convention. I suspect (and hope) security is tighter now.

About 2hrs before the doors opened to the public, and after word of the murders of police officers in Baton Rouge had spread, the promoter brought in about 100 people. These people were give blue shirts and packed into seats near the stage. When they were seated the organizers gave them instructions from the stage on what to say in response and how to "look and act." We then proceeded to record this "grassroots" anger and protests for unknown purposes for about an hour. We were told that this was the "most important" part of the show to the promoter... lots of tight shots with special care taken so as not to show that the arena was basically empty... ensuring that the jib framed shots so that the different people where shown... we basically shot it to make it appear that there were many more people than were actually there. The footage may be have already been edited and put on youtube; I don't care enough to look.

To be fair, the actual show that the general public saw was mostly apolitical with a couple of exceptions. The exceptions were Cornel West and some actress from "Orange is the new black" which is a show on Netflix.

^^^ These two were straight up race baiters, the others were simply thinly veiled Democrats which is a non-issue IMO.

Ultimately the show was a non-event. I found it interesting and more than a little humorous that while "church" on Saturday had around 1500 people, the SJW's could only muster a little over 1/2 that number for a free show with two national acts (The Roots and Mary Mary). How much of that was due to the cancellation of the march and Rev. Al I can't say. Both Mary Mary and The Roots are excellent musicians and very professional, though they're not my taste. There were four DJ's who were... DJ's. And in typical DJ fashion the managed to make a good PA sound like poop by feeding it a distorted signal and covering the mic capsule. ~sigh~

Mary Mary

The Roots

No one was hurt that I heard about so, assuming I get paid, I'm going to call it a success.

Top Bottom