• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    To do it right, you have to buy stock and have it installed which involves removing the rear trunnion, welding up the old holes, modifying the rear of the receiver to accept the folding stock rear trunnion, then riveting it in place. Then since you have bare metal, you really need to refinish at least the receiver, if not a complete refinish.

Might be worth it to weigh your option of selling the rifle and just buying an SGL31-84, which is around $1100 if you can find one.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    There is also a company that makes a repro stock that looks the same, but doesn't fold. If its just the look you're looking for then it's a good option. The other two above suggestions are spot on. If all you want is a metal folding stock and it doesnt matter if its saiga accurate, an ace folder may fit the bill.

Zero_ek

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    Alexandria
    Wow i didnt realize how much of a pain it was to swap out stocks. Yeah i may be in the market to sell mine and buy one already with the folder.

MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville
    Switching to a Romanian/Polish/East German side folder is my favorite option to add a folder to standard receiver AK. That be a drop in fit for a normal width receiver.

The Ace Folder would be the next best option but to to it right you have to cut off the stock tang.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    these two option require no mods and do fold
    bfs_lg.jpg
    akfolding_eg.jpg

these does not fold most are poly copys
    SaigaHG.JPG

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    There are longer wire folders, such as the E. German ones. As far as folders go, they are usually my pick. I'm too cheap to have a triangular or fixed folder installed, and can't bring myself to cut off the tang for the Ace and Tromix stocks.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Just get one like in this video. The polymer one can be had for less than $150. I think I got mine at Natchez Shooters Supply. The cheek riser is nice!
    It can be folded either right or left. Folding right, you need to lower the cheek riser, or the charging handle can hit it.

Take off the old stock, put on the new. If you need to fold the other direction, pop out a pin and a screw (I think) to turn the middle hinge section independent of the buttstock & mounting piece.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ThioMNsZz0&feature=plcp[/ame]

If you want a sling mount as well, get one of these.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHQAwNisklc&feature=plcp[/ame]

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Well I've gone and done it now... I just bought a Russian triangle side folder and assembly for my Saiga. Whos got a press and AK rivet jigs here in Indy?

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    the stock is beautiful in my opinion just needs to lose that ugly block.... what a waste of a tri folder

Couldn't agree more. I'd kill to have a triangular folder on my SGL, but that thing is pretty goofy looking.

Well I've gone and done it now... I just bought a Russian triangle side folder and assembly for my Saiga. Whos got a press and AK rivet jigs here in Indy?

Let us know how it goes. I'm seriously considering doing the same.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co

you got a few options far jigs go you could borrow the ak builder rivet tool or you could make your own bucking bar old rail way spikes seem to be a favorite but any piece of 3/4 or 1 in square stock would do the trick.... just drill a small shallow dome in the bucking bar to allow the tool to form the dome........ the rivet tool could be simple as a rivet die and a hamer or air hammer..... (look up aircraft rivet sets) a set of 6 is like $20....... but if you set on using AK Builders rivet tool people like me have them and i might lend it out but you would still need a press

Top Bottom