• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scout103

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Hey y'all,

Took my AK to the range the other day and looked at the brass. It had a dent in the same spot of each casing like the video below and seemed like the extractor just dug itself into the rim to eject. Put 160rds through it on the bench and only had 2 failure to extract, only when I used my magpul mag. thinking the malfunctions where from the mag, but what's up with these casings? Is this normal on some rifles or might something need replacing? Thanks for the wisdom of :ingo:

[video=youtube;WVI9BmlsJUE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVI9BmlsJUE[/video]

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    thats normal. Its from the ejected cases hitting the dust cover on the rifle.

some people will put 'something' soft there to prevent it if they are trying to reload the rounds. I think there is actually a galil item that is made for this exact purpose, but good luck trying to find one.

Edit: Sorry, didn't watch the video...... the guy in the video is a dumbass. That dented brass is perfectly normal in an AK.

You can see it in these videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeeeFxA_9nA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sNDTdKQNVU

Last edited:

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    I read somewhere that there's a Russian law that requires civilian versions of military rifles to be designed to leave such a marking on the cases so it's easier to determine if a casing came from a civilian or military rifle. I don't know how much truth there is to that, if you're shooting a Russian rifle, or if that's common to other AK pattern rifles, but figured I'd toss it out there.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Commercial firearms sold in russia have a chamber that will mark a case, but the mark is way way different. Its near the case mouth, and is a step in the chamber, so the cases will bulge in that spot:

2myqdyo.jpg

cases will come out like this:

26095Saiga_-fired_cases_-2.jpg

Scout103

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Alright thanks Clay! Don't plan on reloading Tul or Wolf casings anyway lol. I've had multiple ak's; they all ejected back to the right and didn't have those dents. This one decided to have the dents and like the vids eject up to the right.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Just adding that I have had several AK variants leaving exactly the same dent you show Scout103. Most don't but I believe it comes from the variability of the tolerances in building AKs that make them so reliable. If the tolerances add one way you have the casing hit the receiver cover on the way out. Add up a different way and they don't.

When it comes to ejection, I have one AK that throws the brass almost straight forward, which usually makes them land in front of the guy in the lane to my right. I have one AK that throws shells over my right shoulder, so when shooting that I have to make sure no one is standing behind me. Most though wind up going about 3 or 4 lanes to my right, which makes me happy that the range I shoot at just put up lane dividers, so I stop bombing the poor shooter a few lanes over.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    yeah, I've always figured as long as they come out the ejection port and fly at least 20', then I'm good. If you can't find them laying about 20' out, then just keep walking lol

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    yeah, I've always figured as long as they come out the ejection port and fly at least 20', then I'm good. If you can't find them laying about 20' out, then just keep walking lol
    LOL
    i had one the other day that shot them foreward about 20'. I don't know which one it was since I was shooting several.

Top Bottom