• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sausagecake

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Wherever I can eat S
    So after working on my ak build in my spare time, I finally have a functioning gun. However, I still need to make the lower handgaurd retainer notch. My question is, does anyone know the diameter of the lower handgaurd retainer notch? I plan on using a pin to locate the center of the notch in a drill press, then using the correct size endmill to make the notch. The retainer would be in place durring the locating portion, then moved when milling.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    don't you have any calipers? It can vary per country and even per kit. It is best to find out what the diameter of the pin is than to look for a general answer if you want it to hold in there tight.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    cant say a size but i can tell you how i do it .... i use a chain saw file and i start a little file a notch where the hand guard would be too tight if it engaged..... this way you can slowly remove more material till you get that perfect fit... using a drill you have one shot to get it right

Sausagecake

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Wherever I can eat S
    Thanks for the responses. I would use calipers, but the retainer is already on with the gas block and fsb pinned in place. I don't really want to take them off just to measure the diameter. It is a Romanian ak 47 variant. I will use the file method if I cant work on it in a friends machine shop.

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom