• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Hey AK guys, need some suggestions on how to get a buddy's AMD-65 short barrel out of the front trunnion. I think it may have scraped the metal on the way in and the shavings are not letting go. We tried Kroil and WD40 but my press bar is bending too much for my liking.

We used my 12 ton press and it doesn't seem to be enough. Anyone use heat/cold methods before? Any other ideas?

winchester

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    bacon grease? no really maybe try pressing it in a little past where it was then try again. if there was a little scrape of metal it might shear it off while pressing in. couldent hurt trying. good luck

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    What about freezing the whole thing then heating up the trunion. Some people do that so they don't need a press to put saiga 12 barrels back in. Once the barrel is back to room temp it's stuck in there

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I would get the thing setup in your press, then heat the trunnion up with a propane or MAPP torch. Once its good and hot load up the press.

if it still won't pop then try hitting the frame of the press with a hammer, sometimes that will knock them out. Otherwise find someone with a 20 ton. I've got one if you get desperate.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Thanks. I’ll show him these suggestions. I might send him to AllenM. His barrel removal system seems the safest if need to really get physical. And yes, no barrel pin installed.

pwoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I stuck the whole thing in the freezer then we beat on it with a sledge and still no movement. I suggested to the owner that he try freezing it and then heat tthe trunnion to see if that would work.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    find a 20 ton press. that will get it out.

Freezing the assembly won't do much good at all because once you start to heat the trunnion the barrel will heat up as well, but its still worth a shot.

Top Bottom