• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crazzy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Nblsvle
    i am lookin into getting an ak-47. i have heard that the 'milled' receivers are heavy and that the stamped as 'just as good, but lighter'. i'd really like some input from owners or other folks who have insight. peace, crazzy

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    1) if your really looking for an AK, right now about the best deal going for a top of the line AK is through K-Var for an Arsenal brand SGL-21 for $499. Cant beat it.

2) Milled AKs usually command more money than stamped AKs. Are they better? well in the long run they probably are, I mean, they are machined from a solid steel forging, and in theory should be a better product than a rivited stamped steel receiver. Do they work any better than a stamped receiver? Nope. Not that Ive ever seen.

basically, they are more desirable to the collectors, so they are worth more money, and will cost more money, but dont run any better. :) and again, see point #1!

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    +1 to what clay said. The milled one will probably last longer, but how many lifetimes does it need to last? BTW, that's a FANTASTIC price for an arsenal! Atlanticfirearms.com has Hungarian built AMD65s for $489. But if you really want a true AK, you should probably get a Saiga and a conversion kit. I would never go this route, but this seems to be the most popular way to go for the closest match to the "real deal". Personally I'm more than satisfied with the performance I get from my WASR 10s, but if the arsenal could be found that cheap when I bought mine, that's the way I would have gone.

Also, no matter which way you go, there are a few other variables to watch out for. For example, watch out for a "canted" front sight, over ground mag well........This is probably one of the better resources for AK info...AK-47 information, bayonets, ammo and magazines

Last edited:

Armed & Christian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    MSG2 S.E. INDY
    +1 to what Clay said. These are "top of the line" (for AK's), built by the same factory that makes rifles for the Russian military (and, from what I understand, still retains Mikhail Kalishnikov as a consultant). They are shipped to the folks at Arsenal, who are true craftsmen. These are $1000+ rifles selling at half price. You honestly can't afford to pass up one of these.

I had mine transferred into Beech Grove Firearms.

K-VAR Corporation :: Rifles & Shotguns :: SGL21 Series – 7.62x39 Caliber Russian Stamped Receiver AK-47 Variant Rifles

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    AHHHHH, now I see why they are so cheap. These are not the $1000+ arsenals. These are Saigas reworked by arsenal. Still not a bad price, but also doesn't yet compare to the arsenal milled receiver AKs that go for over $1000. The Saiga is made in the exact same factory that used to make the AKs for the russian military, and uncle Mik is still on board:)
    mkalashnikov.jpg

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    AHHHHH, now I see why they are so cheap. These are not the $1000+ arsenals. These are Saigas reworked by arsenal. Still not a bad price, but also doesn't yet compare to the arsenal milled receiver AKs that go for over $1000. The Saiga is made in the exact same factory that used to make the AKs for the russian military, and uncle Mik is still on board:)
    http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m135/AxA_04/mkalashnikov.jpg

No, not the $1000+ milled arsenals....... just the $850 stamped arsenals. ;) During the height of the obama gun grab scare, these were $1000 rifles.

all arsenal does is de-neuter the rifles........ they all come in from somewhere else (ie russia, bulgaria) in neutered form, and Arsenal converts them back (legally) to their correct form.

crazzy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Nblsvle
    thanks fer the info, folks. i guess $500 stamped beats $1000 milled since i dont expect to run more than a few thou rounds thru it. now,,,,your opinions bout best caliber... for range and home defense use.......... thanks!
    peace, crazzy

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    wow! I just looked up an arsenal milled ak, $1500 on sale! down from over $2000!!!!!

anyway, best caliber is a good question. Price wise your going to get cheaper ammo with the 5.45x39 right now (ala AK74). But price wise on the gun your going to pay less for the traditional 7.62x39 AK47. You can also get them in .223/5.56, but again, gun is more expensive, and ammo is more expensive.

Do you already have a rifle in any of these cartridges? Odds are you might have something in .223, so that might be something to take into consieration. I guess, personal opinion, if I wanted an AK, and didnt have one, I would probably go 7.62.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Yes, 7.62x39. If you already have a rifle in a caliber avail. then that is a consideration, but IMO the damage done by 7.62 cannot be touched by .223/5.56. Heck the 7.62 will punch through a concrete block wall (as long as it's not core filled), let's see .223 do that! Not trying to start a caliber war here, just posting some facts and some opinions.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I have a milled MAK-90 that I redid to look exactly like the original AK Type 3. My daughter and I were at Wilbur Wright one day, back when she was about 15. She took a fully loaded 100 round drum, stuffed it into the AK look-alike and got up to shoot it. A fudd at the table next to us asked her if it was a bit heavy. Her response was priceless: "If you think this is heavy you must be a wimp!" LOVE THAT KID!

Whether you want a milled AK variant or stamped, yes weight is a big factor. Coolness is another factor, but in the long run, either version will out live most of us if it is take care of properly.

Price is the other factor. Milled are more expensive as pointed out above, so for the price of a good stamped AKM variant you can buy a lot of ammo with the money left over! :D

Remember, we don't have the luxury of taking our given to us firearms to an armorer and having them fixed free. We spend our hard earned dollars on them, so we it really is smart to take care of them.

crazzy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Nblsvle
    tnx for all the input. it really helps to get support from folks who know. i'm thinkin i dont need milled b/c i will prob never use more than a few thou rnds. i do not have a rfle in any of those calibers, think i'll go w/ the 7.62. also, the stainless bbl upgrade for $22. sounds like a no-brainer. thinkin poly stock prob better for my needs than wood. doubt i need a scope or bayo lug. peace, crazzy

arbitrary

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Good plastic will work, but wood is better than cheap plastic stocks. Check them out to see how sturdy they feel.

Top Bottom