• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NBishop

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2016
    Indiana
    I've been doing a lot of research on AK's. I'm really looking at a certain kind but looking for suggestions from owners and those that have a lot of experience with them.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    If you have been doing a lot of research, I am surprised you didn't notice the wealth of opinions already posted here.

deo62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    Wow! Rough crowd. Welcome to Ingo. You're new so please be patient with locals. If you look to the top of the page, there is a search block that may help.

Bsubtown

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 19, 2013
    Dekalb county
    I don't think it is crazy for someone to want to start a new thread on a topic like this when the above linked thread is from 2014. All of the threads referenced are at least two years old. I doubt a lot has changed in AKs but members change, people get new guns and experiences, new vendors and makers come around. Maybe someone picked up new experiences and wants to share them with someone who is asking a question.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    Agree with " bsubtown " .............
    Or maybe Ingo should just ban all future posts asking someone's opinion ......after all , I'm sure every question has been asked at one-time or another . Why waste anyone's time .
    The OP just joined Ingo ( welcome btw ) and has not had the luxury of navigating thru the forums as fast as some that have been a member for over 6 or 7 years . Sometimes the "search" engine does not locate everything you desire ,depending your search words.
    Anyway .........my AK experience make me lean towards my Mak 90's as well . If your budget is a bit smaller , if you can find one , I also favor the Romanian Sar-1 .

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    My opinion:

First, what are you buying for? If it's a shooter, then here is what I suggest:

1) buy AKs made in countries that have fielded AKs, and have factories setup to do so. This means you're looking for things like Romanain WASRs, Serbian (Yugo) NPAP or OPAP, Bulgarian SLR or SAM7, Chinese MAK-90s, Saiga or Vepr etc.
    2) I would avoid most US built AKs, my current exception would be a DDI build, or any well known builder that builds kits from surplus kits.
    3) as a general rule, avoid century build AKs. People have been having good luck (it seems) with the milled century rifles, but I still avoid them like the plague.

Depending on your price point the WASR, NPAP, VEPR will be the cheapest entry into a good quality/reliable AK. If you want the best of what is currently available from a comblock country, then the Bulgarian SLR or SAM7 would be your best bet

IMO the VEPR is the best bang for the buck right now, but it does require a bit of conversion to get it into standard configuration.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    I've been doing a lot of research on AK's. I'm really looking at a certain kind but looking for suggestions from owners and those that have a lot of experience with them.

Welcome to INGO. Several years ago, I did a lot of research and ended up with two Romanian rifles, a SAR-1 and a WASR. Both had been assembled by the spastic monkeys at Century Arms and had canted front sights and gas blocks. Both also had horrible cases of trigger slap when fired. Other than that, they were rock solid in reliability and would shoot minute of beer can at 100 yards. A little online research resulted in fixing both rifles with straightened front sights and gas blocks, along with new fire control groups. Removed the left side scope rail from the WASR and refinished the receiver. Also added an AK-74 style muzzle brake to the WASR and an AKM style muzzle brake to the SAR-1.

Ended up gifting the WASR to my Dad and he really enjoyed shooting it. Surplus mags were cheap and ammo was easy to find. Back then, prices were around $300 for the rifles. Not a big fan of the underfolders or side folding wire EG or Romanian stocks. Fixed stock is the way to go. No flex and ready to stand up to hard use. Of all the types out there, I like the SAR-1 the best.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Welcome to INGO. Several years ago, I did a lot of research and ended up with two Romanian rifles, a SAR-1 and a WASR. Both had been assembled by the spastic monkeys at Century Arms and had canted front sights and gas blocks

Well, not exactly.

The WASR and SAR-1 were build in Romania and imported to the US by Century in sporting configuration, ie single stack magazine opening with special mags.

Century converts them to take standard double stack AK mags, and adds the necessary 922r parts to make them legal for US sale.

as much as I would love it to be century's fault, the canted front sights/gas blocks are fault of the Cugir factory in romania.

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    Most of the info previously posted is spot-on (especially Clay's). That said, my vote, based on purchase price, is the WASR 10/63 GP, provided you can inspect it prior to purchase. Bradis in Camby typically gets a handful in every week and they fly off the shelves. As long as you get one with straight (non-canted) sights, they'll run near perfectly. I have several of them and couldn't be happier. In fact, every time I see someone dog the WASR's and diminish their value, I just smile.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Well, not exactly.

The WASR and SAR-1 were build in Romania and imported to the US by Century in sporting configuration, ie single stack magazine opening with special mags.

Century converts them to take standard double stack AK mags, and adds the necessary 922r parts to make them legal for US sale.

as much as I would love it to be century's fault, the canted front sights/gas blocks are fault of the Cugir factory in romania.

You are correct that the rifles were initially assembled in Romania. I figured that the techs at Century could at least advise the factory about the QC issues or correct them when they did the final assembly. it was an easy fix to correct the problem.

The WASRs did arrive in country with a magwell for a single stack mag. The Century techs opened them up to accept a standard double stack mag. The magwell on mine was barely big enough to accept a mag and the edges were sharper then a steak knife. 20 minutes with a dremel fixed that issue.

SAR-1 vs WASR-10? - The AK Files Forums

The SAR-1's arrived factory configured for a standard mag. That is why it has the dimples in the receiver instead of the spacer plates spot welded inside the magwell.

Vendetta

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Lafayette
    Buy a new production WASR. Save the additional money you would have expended on something else and spnd it on mags and ammo. The new WASRs are great rifles.

Pinger5560

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2016
    Columbia City
    Me personally would get either a Npap, Opap if you can find one. Or I would look into trying contacting Palmetto State Armory & asking when there new American stamped AK will be in stock. I myself have a Npap, been shooting the it a lot in the last 2 yrs I have owned it, shoots like a champ. My buddy found a Opap & it is great also. I myself have shot the Wasr 10 AK's & compared to the Npap & Opap the Wasr feels weak.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom