• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trapperDave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Morristown, IN
    could someone please catch me up to date on all the different versions out there nowadays. whats good, what to avoid. I havent really been into guns the past ten years or so (was a nut prior, but followed other interests awhile)

as I recall the mac 90 was one of the firsts? Russian guns were milled receivers and much valued over chinese pot metal stampings...or maybe the years have left me more ignorant than I realize. LOL

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    could someone please catch me up to date on all the different versions out there nowadays. whats good, what to avoid.

Not asking for much, are you? :):

as I recall the mac 90 was one of the firsts? Russian guns were milled receivers and much valued over chinese pot metal stampings...or maybe the years have left me more ignorant than I realize. LOL

The Russians made both milled and stamped receiver guns, but they were never imported into the US (other than as parts kits in recent years). The Chinese used stamped steel (not "pot metal") receivers, as did most of the Soviet Bloc nations who produced AK-pattern rifles (Poland, Hungary, E. Germany, Bulgaria, Romania being the main ones).

Now, are you interested in the various foreign military AK variants that have been made, or just the semi-auto AK-style rifles available in the US today? Those are two very different discussions.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    AK

Oh, just enter Ak47, AK, AK74, Norinco, Arsenal, Krebs, Romanian, WASR, Polish, Russian, Saiga in the INGO search and that will be a good start. There are many many many diverse "AK" topics that have been discussed here at INGO.

Happy searching.
    :welcome:

Last edited:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    It would probably take several dozen pages just to briefly list the various AK variants without much detail.

As for the Chinese, the MAK-90 (Modified Automatic Kalashnikov model year 1990) was in response to the Bush 1 tirade about evil features. In the 80s was the short lived golden years of what is now called pre-ban AKs. And contrary to those who hated those "commie rifles", the Chinese were really very well made and are very highly regarded as current day collectibles.

With all the bans (read infringements) on the AK variants, there have been quite a few that have popped up, most not bad, many crude, some really nice.

While we don't have a dedicated forum on the AK/AKM/AK-74, there are still many threads that talk about them.

trapperDave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Morristown, IN
    interested in the semi auto models. Maybe best to ask if there are any to avoid?

im familiar with the search button...but as said, lots of info to wade thru. Gives me a headache lol

just want to stay away from the "Ford Pintos" of the AK realm

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    The "Pinto" of the AK world were anything made by Hesse or Vulcan (same company) or a USA made B-west model. The B-west imported from China, and made in China were ok.

It comes down to how much you want to spend, and do you want a shooter, or a safe queen collector piece.

The Romanian rifles were and still are the more affordable factory made rifles, but were modified to meet the sporting purpose clause of the ATF new second amendment. The current models are named "WASR" and there are a zillion versions of them, all the way from problems to fully reliable AKM variants. The newer ones are getting better, but it is really hard to tell a good one from bad. Usually how the mag fits will tell a little, but even that is not always. The reason is that all WASRs enter the USA with narrow mag wells for "sporting" single stack mags. After importation, the mag wells are opened up to take standard AK mags, and it depends on how well they were reworked if you get a good one or not.

Some people like Maadis because they were made on real Russian AKM tools by Egyptians who really didn't care. Most are very good rifles, but the finish was horrible. There is also a model known as the MISR 90 which was a half breed by the importer who used a Maadi receiver with Norinco other parts and some worked, some didn't.

Hungarian and Bulgarian were and are nice rifles, as are the Yugo models.

The Chinese are really going up in price due to the bans on them and the limited number in the country with many people getting into the hobby, driving prices up. The milled Poly Tech Legends are probably the best factory made representation of a true Type 3 in semi-auto, but with the limited number, are starting to sell for $1200 and up.

Stamped receiver pre-Bush1-ban rifles are also $1000 and up, but every now and then one turns up lower, but you have to be very lucky. The post-Bush1-ban rifles, the NHM90 (and 91), MAK-90 (and 91) and BWK-92 are also starting to go well above $500 in excellent condition.

As for Russian, there were some VEPRs that made it in, and some still tricklying in. They are great rifles with RPK receivers, similar to an AKM but much heavier. Also fairly pricey. Unfortunately Russian AK, AKM and AK-74 were banned by US/Soviet agreement. There are also Saigas being imported that can be modified to look like an AKM. Great rifle.

Check Atlantic Firearms for some current, made in USA rifles of very good quality. Of the USA made ones, my personal favorite, but not necessarily the only good one, was made by Vector.

And that is a brief synopsis of what you are up against. You are smart to ask here before jumping in, and if you find something, please feel free to ask. I would much rather you ask and find out not to spend money than reading you bought something that you either spent too much for, or should not have purchased.

That is not to say you can't get stuck. I know someone who really is a true Kalashnikov expert that bought something not too long ago that turned out to be a bubba special. Repairable if you know what you are doing, but still frustrating. And he knew better!

Good luck and welcome to the dizzying and addictive world of the Automatic Kalashnikov (even if all we can get now are semi-auto)

PS, I did get to fondle a real deal Russian AK, milled receiver from the early 1950s, fully papered and the seller was asking only $50,000 for it with a straight face. You can probably count on your fingers the number of legally registered pre 1986 ban Russian AKs!

Last edited:

rphutchi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    Depending on how variant you want to get, you might want to ck out the VZ 58. Available from low price guns for under $700. Has no interchangeable parts w/ AK 47 but shoots same round w/ some potential advantages. Milled receiver, weighs less etc... Nice review herehttp://www.youtube.com/user/Sturmgewehre?feature=mhsn#p/u/8/2Io96odc9Lw

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    And then there are the Norinco Hunter variants, which are milled Chinese receivers by Polytech, but have the Valmet angle, and unique furniture...

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    The "Pinto" of the AK world were anything made by Hesse or Vulcan (same company) or a USA made B-west model. The B-west imported from China, and made in China were ok.

................SNIP........................................

PS, I did get to fondle a real deal Russian AK, milled receiver from the early 1950s, fully papered and the seller was asking only $50,000 for it with a straight face. You can probably count on your fingers the number of legally registered pre 1986 ban Russian AKs!

As it concerns Atlantic, would you say that anything from them will likely be good? I was going to buy an Arsenal, but I may weight on that. I like those Romanian underfolders, and I like the price, but I don't want to get a lemon as I've read so much about.

Would you recommend a WASR from Atlantic?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    The reason I recommend Atlantic is first that they do stand behind what they sell. Customer service is top notch!

They also usually have a large selection to allow a person a chance to compare the various versions before making a purchase.

The sad thing about many of the current generation of AK variants is that the quality of any of them range from paper weight to fully trust worthy, and that includes even the rifles from Arsenal.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    The reason I recommend Atlantic is first that they do stand behind what they sell. Customer service is top notch!

They also usually have a large selection to allow a person a chance to compare the various versions before making a purchase.

The sad thing about many of the current generation of AK variants is that the quality of any of them range from paper weight to fully trust worthy, and that includes even the rifles from Arsenal.

I'm really torn at the moment. I've also always wanted a VZ 58, which cost about the same as the better AKs. I've never heard anything bad about the VZs, and it seems like if you buy one from Czechpoint you're getting a quality weapon, and they have good customer service as well.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    The VZ-58 is a nice weapon. Just that they are not an AK and if you want an AK, you are not looking at the VZ-58. Personally, my silly 2 cents is to get both! :D

jason765

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Henry County
    I'm really torn at the moment. I've also always wanted a VZ 58, which cost about the same as the better AKs. I've never heard anything bad about the VZs, and it seems like if you buy one from Czechpoint you're getting a quality weapon, and they have good customer service as well.
    VZ 58's are awesome, the furniture is flat out ugly but they are a blast to shoot, and accurate.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Atlantic usually has pretty good prices on the AMD65s...I've been pleased with my dealings with them...As far as WASRs go you're going to want to handle several and pick from them, not just luck of the draw....Also, Atlantic sells poly mags that work GREAT with the WASRs eliminating any "mag wobble" they are known for....

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Eye of the beholder, I guess. I like the wood-impregnated-plastic on mine. I've got a folder too but that would involve getting that ^@&*#^*@#&$%^# screw out of the buttstock.

1610032_photobucket_22742_.jpg

Top Bottom