• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    This isn't really firearms, although related, so I guess the off topic forum is the place to be.

When I was looking for recommendations on getting my daughter (and my son when he comes back from Japan this summer) introduced to guns and shooting, airguns were one recommendation.

One thing that was pointed out was that, depending on what's permitted in one's local area, one can often do bb/pellet/airsoft shooting at home. However, the catch was, some places consider airguns the same as firearms in that respect and you can't set up a backstop and pellet/bb trap in the back yard and shoot away.

Does anyone know what the law is in Indianapolis? Can I set up a backstop adequate for airguns/airsoft and teach my kids to shoot in the back yard legally?

younggun21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    No restrictions on airsoft. Not sure about about bb/pellet guns, we used to live backed up to a horse farm so we had a big field to shoot into no worries there. I might add this was in a neighborhood off of 75th and hague not out in the country.

-K

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Got a basement? You can set up an airgun range indoors pretty easily. Then no one has to know and it is on/in your own property.

I live in Indy and practice my archery on the side of my house and no one says anything and a stray arrow would do a lot more damage than a stray pellet/BB.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I wish I had a basement, but no.

A garage will work, just use a bullet trap. Even the highest powered air rifles won't penetrate the lightest traps. I used to use a Daisy trap and could even shoot .22 CB caps into it, though it would make it bounce about a foot and leave a little dent.

scully

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    DO NOT BUY that Crossman 760 you loved as a kid. I picked up one for my daughter and they are now total pieces of crap. All the way down to the plastic receiver.

But. yes airguns are a good way to get started with firearms use and safety. Way less stress on a dad.

Pete-FWA

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    What happened to "BB Guns" that I knew as a kid? You know, the ones that shot little metal BB's...everything I saw at the sporting goods store was "AirSoft" or "Soft Air" with virtually everything powered by little CO2 cartridges. I saw plastic 6mm BBs. Ehhh, I must've missed a shift in that entire realm since I was younger.

Top Bottom