• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    OK, so its not EXACTLY a firearms question, but in the same vein as many municipalities lumping them in as things that go "PEW" I think it fits.

Im looking for a decent air rifle, preferrably .177 that is accurate but not over the top expensive. (Under $150ish)

Im not AGAINST CO2, but would prefer pump due to cost unless there is a overwhelming accuracy issue.

As for power, I'm not looking for anything other than its ability to punch holes in paper accurately, and using it as a pest control device is NOT part of the equation.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Somewhere
    Save up and get a PCP airgun. Benjamin Marauder is the best least expensive you can get.

Any magnum springer or gas piston you get will have accuracy issues due to recoil. Springers and pistons require the mastery of the artillery hold and are very touchy unless your bench resting. Magnum powered non-pcp rifles are always going to be inherently inaccurate.

If you want a silent target rifle experience on an airgun, get a Marauder. Get .25 cal. It's more accurate and more power.

I absolutely love mine to death and would never buy another airgun as long as I live. All my other air rifles aren't worth the material they are made of.

My advice, save up, invest, and don't regret anything. You will have a very nice silent gun with TONS of power. One you'd be proud to include in your will.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Save up and get a PCP airgun. Benjamin Marauder is the best least expensive you can get.

My advice, save up, invest, and don't regret anything. You will have a very nice silent gun with TONS of power. One you'd be proud to include in your will.

Kinda missed the point, dude.

I want inexpensive but not so cheap it has accuracy issues.

I'm just looking for something to play around with my son and his $20 Red Ryder to poke holes in a single layer paper target or knock army men/ pop cans over. I'm not shooting competitively nor am I going to use it to get rid of pests so being a tack driver or having lots of power is not a concern.

If I want power I'll use one of my many powder based weapons. :)

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I grew up with a Daisy 880 you can pump it from 1 to 10 times depending on how much power you want. I have a Gamo big cat that I bought a couple of years ago for pest control. Plenty of power but im not convinced of its accuracy.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I have a Crossman Model 2100 Classic pump action air rifle. It is the pump up type that shoots BB's or pellets. I bought it a few years ago thinking it would be fun and cheap to shoot. Figured out I really preffer things with a real loud bang. I havent shot it much but it is very accurate with pellets. The barrel is rifiled and I would not shoot BB's just because it might mess up the rifling. Never run it over my cronograph but the book calls for around 700 fps with 10 pumps. Can't remember what I paid but here is a link to Air Gun Warehouse. Looks pretty reasonable. Jim.

Crosman BB Guns and Pellet Guns - Air Rifles by Brand

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Go right to the experts who eat, sleep and make their living from air guns.

Look up pyramid air. They have target worthy air rifles from $100 to true olympic grade models at $2900. They also have about 75 choices in pellets from the generic crossman and daisy type to the highest grade Swiss and German stuff. Looking at the whole spectrum of products lets you learn a lot. They also have links and articles to help you.

A target air rifle is usually used in 10 meter competition so they are regulated for 500 fps to comply with international rules.

A slightly more expensive air rifle is designed to be easily rebuilt so they will last your lifetime. Mine is a Feinwerkenbau that was imported in the late 1960's. I put a $40 seal kit in it a few months ago, and it is ready for another 50 years. It will still shoot 1mm ctc groups.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Yup those Springer Air rifles aren't worth a dime.

Gamo .177 Springer three shot group at 10 meters, prone position.

gamo.JPG

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    If you are wanting to get one to shoot at army men, then why would you need an air rifle? Just get a 10 pump BB gun that can shoot pellets? When I hear air rifle, I am thinking of one that operates on a gas piston or spring, which compresses when you pull the break action downward to load it, and you have to manually load 1 at a time. You can find many in the 150 dollar range. But I don't know why you would want one to shoot at army men... they are great for getting frog legs, among other things. They would cut an army man in half...

NLVMike

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2013
    I think a Benjamin Blue Streak is one of the best guns around. I really like the old ones in 5mm, but pellets are hard to find. Great guns. I also love the old Crosman 180 pellguns, but they are CO2. They are sold these days as a chinese made gun called a QB78. The break barrels are very powerful, but I haven't had much luck with consistent accuracy.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Here's something I have two of. They're fun to shoot, and are very accurate with pellets. And, the price isn't too either. For additional clips (Crosman's word, not mine) you can call in and order them in bulk.

Crosman | Airguns | Rifles | Pump | M4-177 Rifle (.177)

And it looks really cool!

I actually had a "black rifle" bb gun in the 80s. They didnt try to make it to the same dimensions, they just made it look similar. (same scallops along the top edge, carry handle/front sight, etc. )

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    I actually had a "black rifle" bb gun in the 80s. They didnt try to make it to the same dimensions, they just made it look similar. (same scallops along the top edge, carry handle/front sight, etc. )

One day I hit 84% of 50 shots in a series of one inch bulls eyes at 25 feet with my M4-177. It got to where I had to put the extras on because after 10 shots on the center bull, there was no center left to score! For $80 it's a good deal!

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Actually I haven't shot one in quite a while (40 years or so). Do have a Crosman I picked up at an auction a few years ago. When I was young, however I put thousands of rounds through my Crosman.

In my opinion I would not buy a CO2 model for your purposes. Used one several times - lot of variation in accuracy when the cartridge lowers in pressure - not to mention the additional cost of purchasing the cartridge. The standard Crosman will do everything you are stating you want one for, a few pumps (you will figure out how much power you want to use - probably two or three pumps will work for your purposes), will power the gun for most target purposes. The one I had was quite accurate with pellets - not real great with BB's but still accurate enough to hit a toy soldier at 25 foot every time! Great little gun for quite a bit less than $100.

Sounds like a real fun time with your son! Only issue is that most of the less expensive pellet rifles do have short stocks (aimed at a youth market) so you may want to visit Wally World and handle one before purchase.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    When we were kids, my brother and I both had Daisy 840's (pump up BB/pellet rifles) Back then we probably gave $35-40 a piece for them, which was big money. I would guess you could get one for not much more than that today. They were great little guns and we put thousands upon thousands of BB's through them and hundreds upon hundreds of lead pellets. We used them for target shooting and ridding the grandparent's farm of small pests like mice, an occasional rat, sparrows, etcetera.

These rifles were amazingly accurate. We would set in the porch swing and shoot those wooden, strike anywhere, kitchen matches in two at 8-10 yards.

For your intended purpose, I would say get something along these lines and spend the money you save on a BB/pellet trap, targets and ammo. One other suggestion, if I might add. Start your son on iron sights and teach him how to use them, adjust them and get very proficient with them. I think the use of iron sights has become a "lost art" in many circles.

Have fun with your son!

Top Bottom