• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hardheadjarhead

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    I saw the YouTube video of "Sturmgewehr" cleaning an AK after shooting corrosive ammo. He used a garden hose and an air compressor for drying the weapon out...and for getting oil deep into hard-to-get-to places.

Anybody have a suggestion for a cheap air compressor for doing this?

I'd appreciate it.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    Go to Harbor Freight Tools for decent and cheap compressors, but don't pay full price. They all go on discount at some point or another. Sign up for their flyers to get a heads up when they do. You can get their little 8 gallon compressor on sale for about $90. That should blow the grit out of your AK, clean the air filters on your car and fill up the tires too.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I've shot plenty, I assure you. I assume it's because I use good ammo and clean my guns after every firing, but hey, what do I know? lol

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    The soaking in water is made necessary by shooting corrosive ammo; it's considered to be the best way to remove the "water attracting" (aka corrosive) salts from the primer. It's a quick and thorough method. :twocents:

El Guero

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2011
    Nw Indiana
    I guess i am not the only one using compresor lol, i do clean my guns and rifles with a gun scrub spray, then blow them up with a industrial compresor in my shop, couple drops of gun oil and ready for the next week.

try the 5 gallos before but high presure is always better for me.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I've gotten some nasty gun cleaning stuff in my eye before using compressed air to dry stuff off before. I still use it just because it is within reach of where I clean my guns, but be careful. Putting a little pressure behind all that stuff will let it get under your eyelid a lot farther than normal splatter.

Doc_Jon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2011
    we used to clean weapons with air compressors in the army after prolonged range days...would soak them with industrial strength simple green, let it soak in good, then scrub them down with hot water and smaller stiff bristle brushes, use the compressor to blow out all visible water and then oil them well...never saw any rust as long as they were oiled well.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    I have used my air compressor for drying firearms many times, it works great. I have also used canned air for computers when air from a compressor wasn't handy.

Dave

MMRUSH

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2012
    I would suggest putting a water seperator on the compressor and draining the tank often. i have seen some pretty nasty stuff come out of airlines and believe me you dont want it in your gun.

Top Bottom