• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Can't go wrong with the Aimpoint PRO. I like it a lot better than the EoTech 512.

I have a TA33 on my Colt, but I seem to keep going back to the PRO on my PSA.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Too many people believe the same thing forever, without ever re-evaluating their stances.

The older N-batt EOTech's did sour many folks' opinions of the optics in general. As already noted, the XPS series did solve many of the past issues, but there are still some features that don't stack up.

Everyone who is smart changes a battery regularly anyways, to prevent and.prepare.
    You don't wait on FAIL to take place, you plan to circumvent it and
    there's a gas station on every corner, battery life is a null argument in most aspects.

If hours of battery life were the only considerations, then your statement is correct. But there are deeper considerations.

First, the XPS series has a proclaimed battery life of 5-600 hours. That means that, even if you could leave it on 24/7, a battery would only last about 6 months.

Call it laziness, or call it preparedness, but I like turning my red dot on and knowing that it will stay on for 5-8 years. No turning on or off-- its just there.

Plus, the XPS features an 8-hour auto-shutoff feature, meaning that even if they could manage 5,000 hours of battery life, you couldn't opt to keep it ON all the time.

But, an auto-shutoff feature does make some sense when battery life is 600 hours. I just don't like the feature.

Again, the difference is minor and certainly not a life-and-death matter. The super-extended battery life is just a nice perk that puts Aimpoint, IMO, ahead in the game.

But there is koolaid, and people do drink.

:koolaid:

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I am one that has never had a problem with my EO Tech, and I do sing praises of it. I used one in Iraq in 2004, and never had any problems with it. We beat the tar out of them, and they still worked. Even when they are broken, they still work (although, my unit had not broken any). We did not baby our optics, as we had our iron sights as back ups. And we used our optics everyday on mission. Like pointed out, the battery life was not as long as the Aimpoints, however, each has its advantages and disadvantages. I like the EO Tech more then my Aimpoint. Yes, its nice to know I can keep it on for days on end, but I really like how fast I am able to find the dot on my EO Tech. Also like that I can find AA batteries ANYWHERE in the world, as the Aimpoints, we had to wait around 3 months for replacement batteries. And yes, they are supposed to have a long battery life, but people's over there died in less then a year. Granted, that was in 2004, and Im sure both companies have done tons of progress since then. I am sure they would both work great, but I liked my issue EO Tech over the Aimpoint. That is why my EO Tech is on my go gun and my Aimpoint is on the rifle that needs more babying.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Aimpoint CompM4 takes plain AA batteries. Everyone is focussing on the long battery life just meaning that you don't have to change batteries as often, and while that is true, it is the least of the benefits. The bigger picture is that you can leave it on CONSTANTLY for up to five years. That means: 1) It is on whenever you need it without having to find and push a button {that is awkward at best on the Eotech}, 2) You don't have to ever think about the battery or test it, and you can't accidentally ruin the battery by leaving your Aimpoint turned on. Short of crushing the battery, it will not die for YEARS. So you can think of the Aimpoint as practically the same as an iron site-100% dependability.

But the best part overall I think with Aimpoint is the waterproofing and supreme durability. The lenses also have night vision enhanced coating, antireflective surface, and the kill flash option (and "normal" round lens covers).

I don't think there is really a comparison between which one is "best". Aimpoint wins hands down in durability and concealability, although it is bigger and heavier, and it COSTS MORE. The choice is, do you want a dot or a hologram? Do you want a tube or square glass? Spend a lot or a lot more?

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Repeter1977 thanks for your service. To everyone thanks for your input a lot of saving and thinking to do.

Appreciate your support, and good luck with your decision. At least with this one, there really isn't much a wrong choice, just what you will feel more comfortable with. Both are great brands and great products.

mkbar80

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    At Boone Co EAG class last weekend...one Eo xps ran through a set of batteries a day. About 8hrs a set. I have a rev F 552 and while I do like the reticle, in my experience the battery life is MUCH shorter than advertised. I'd guess mine runs around a hundred or so hours on a good set of lithiums. Holds zero just fine....65moa ring is nice for holdovers and leads....but I prefer my Aimpoint m4s for all the reasons mentioned before.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Well, if you are close to the NWI area, or want to hit up one of the ranges, i do have an Aimpoint as well as an EO Tech, so you are more then welcome to shoot them both. I dont mind, i always love going to the range to relax, and its a great excuse to burn rounds down range.

esrice, you aren't kidding, not even sure what company that is, but it might be the same one that they have at the gun shows around here, and i wouldn't trust some no name place with my life, as that might be what it comes down to. I would rather pay the couple extra bucks for a company that i know backs up their gear, and I do know both of them do a great job doing it.

dwickstrom

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Mivican I have looked thru one I like it no visual problems that I noticed wanted to look thru aimpoint but they had no batteries in them.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Repeter1977 I'm in Mishawaka up by the state line in northern Indiana.

Ah, i dont think you are too far away then, and probably close to Winamac range. I have been going there lately. We have a meet and shoot coming up in July, as we just had one in June. If you want, we could try to set something up before as well though.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI

ABN762

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I prefer eotech's over aimpoints for two reasons..

while the battery life isn't that great in comparison, I do like the 65moa circle that the eotech reticle offers

I've had way too many issues with aimpoints... granted, these were well used and abused M68's that were issued to us (Army). The most predominate issue I had with them was that they would periodically just turn off while firing... no bueno.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've seen a handful of busted eotechs and have yet to witness my first busted Aimpoint. Had an eotech last week with the refractor lens flopping around inside of it.

I liked the larger circle on the eotech reticle at first but pretty quickly found that I was completely ignoring it and just using the center dot.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've seen a handful of busted eotechs and have yet to witness my first busted Aimpoint. Had an eotech last week with the refractor lens flopping around inside of it.

I liked the larger circle on the eotech reticle at first but pretty quickly found that I was completely ignoring it and just using the center dot.

I had to have one of my EOTechs fixed because of a mirror or lens (I forget which) getting misaligned inside. It still worked, but it was dim in bright light. On the up side, EOTech fixed it for no charge even though I was a few years out of warranty. It's been very bright since then with no issues. It would have been better had it never happened, of course, but it was never completely useless.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    A couple days ago, I had the opportunity to shoot with an Aimpoint for the first time. The only thing I can say that I liked immediately was that it sat higher and didn't make me press my face into the stock of the rifle as much.

Top Bottom