• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    You only have to be 21 to buy from an FFL, you can buy at 18 from a private party IN resident.

You can carry at 18.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Ok, thank you that was just something me and my dad have been arguing about for quite a while.

If you ever need clarification on a point of law (i.e. "I know there's a law about this, but I don't know exactly what it says."), you can always go look it up yourself

Indiana General Assembly

And then search by keyword. If you know the section, it's even easier. Note that this doesn't cover interpretation nor case law, of course, just what the legislature has somehow managed to agree upon at some point.

HTH!!

Blessings,
    Bill

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    (1) You actually have to 'own' a gun, that requires moolah, which requires work, which.........you can start by cleaning your room and KEEPing it clean.

(2) 2nd, you have to GET a permit....which requires $$$, (see #1)

(3) Negate all that and convince the 'mom' Dad needs a 1911 we saw (wink:wink)

Cantbephaded04

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    Yea I discovered that loophole at the age of 18 and it was beautiful. Get the carry permit at 18, forget the gun store, and buy one in a private sale off somebody and you are in business! I got pulled over once and the cop (after I announced I was carrying) was dead convinced that I was doing something illegal because I wasn't yet 21. After about 20 minutes of him searching through his law book, he gave me my gun back and told me to have a nice day. Very nice.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    I went and filled out my application on my 18th birthday. :): A great law indeed, other than the fact that i can't buy my own ammo yet i can carry a gun.... never quite understood that one.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I went and filled out my application on my 18th birthday. :): A great law indeed, other than the fact that i can't buy my own ammo yet i can carry a gun.... never quite understood that one.

Again, just not from an FFL. You can buy ammo from non-FFLs all day long.

rtfisher1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Anderson
    My buddy and I went a few months after our 18th birthdays (20 some years ago) to a local PD to apply for our permits. I think we both weighed 125lbs wet at the time. Anyway, the officer didn't believe we could apply for a permit at 18, and after he ranted and proceeded to lecture us for awhile, his boss came down and told him we were correct and that he had to process our applications. He mumbled statements the whole time he fingerprinted us, like "may as well give my 6 yr old daughter a permit" and such. It was fun.

Todd

exodusc20v3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    18-21

i think u can possess at 16 ( if gift) for competition shooting but you have to be 21 to get permit.

emmitsmithxd9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Wow thanks for all the stories guys I will definnitley do this on my 18th but i had no clus about the 16 to own just not carry. That is pretty sweet.

Top Bottom