• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    I finally convinced my wife to learn how to shoot. She has never really been interested in going to the range with me (she's gone once or twice), but right now she and a friend are taking the basic pistol course at Indy Gun Safety.

Hopefully there will be pics of her shooting the 10mm or .44 magnum :):

I am interested to see which pistol she prefers (ie which of mine will I give up :laugh:)

Glocker 400

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I finally convinced my wife to learn how to shoot. She has never really been interested in going to the range with me (she's gone once or twice), but right now she and a friend are taking the basic pistol course at Indy Gun Safety.

I am interested to see which pistol she prefers (ie which of mine will I give up :laugh:)

The quickest way to forever end all interest in shooting for a novice is to put a hard kicking weapon in their hand, like a 10mm or .44 magnum. You will negate 4 years of effort in about 2 seconds. A novice should start off with something that is easier to shoot, with low recoil. Especially with handguns.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    beats me. it's the NRA basic pistol course at Indy Gun Safety where they provide all firearms and ammunition. She texted me the list of calibers.....22LR up to 10mm and everything inbetween.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I think that's great LPMan. I am lucky enough to have a wife that likes to go shooting as well. She is even considering getting her carry permit.

She prefers 45 Auto, I prefer 10mm Auto (of course), so we have fun ribbing each other about which caliber is "superior."

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    I think that's great LPMan. I am lucky enough to have a wife that likes to go shooting as well. She is even considering getting her carry permit.

She prefers 45 Auto, I prefer 10mm Auto (of course), so we have fun ribbing each other about which caliber is "superior."

i am hoping this experience will spark her interest. I insisted she get her LTCH just in the event she should ever have to transport a handgun, but she's never carried.

She liked the feel of the Sig P238, so I bought one. But when she finally agreed to go shooting, she liked my Glock 17 the best. Go figure. :laugh:

ETA: her friend is a Chicago exile with a hatred of Obama, Cuomo, Daly and Emmanuel. :)

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    The quickest way to forever end all interest in shooting for a novice is to put a hard kicking weapon in their hand, like a 10mm or .44 magnum. You will negate 4 years of effort in about 2 seconds. A novice should start off with something that is easier to shoot, with low recoil. Especially with handguns.

Absolutely! Look at Youtube videos of women given heavy weapons by their boy "friends".

Not a great idea.

rsklar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    One of the most popular classes now are First Steps and Basic Pistol for Women Only. These classes are generally limited to only women and many are instructed by women.

For some reason women really prefer to be in a group with other ladies or at least have an instructor who is not their Significant Other.

Hunter88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013

I am also trying to get the girlfriend to shoot a gun of any kind for the first time. This will be fun. But if she likes it, then that means more guns!

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    beats me. it's the NRA basic pistol course at Indy Gun Safety where they provide all firearms and ammunition. She texted me the list of calibers.....22LR up to 10mm and everything inbetween.

Yes, and they get to shoot nuclear bazooka's, throw hand grenades, and if they're good we break out the hand held mini-gun. :rolleyes:

There are NO 10mm's in our courses unless a student brings one. They start on .22lr's of all sorts, then step up to 9mm Glocks, XD's, & Smith & Wessons. Instructors can also let them shoot their guns, none of which are .44 mag or 10mm. I often let students shoot my XDS or 1911 once they are done with all the other firearms. Everyone who ever shot my XDS wanted to buy one immediately.

I'm sure she had a good time! They had a beautiful day to shoot!

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Yes, and they get to shoot nuclear bazooka's, throw hand grenades, and if they're good we break out the hand held mini-gun. :rolleyes:

There are NO 10mm's in our courses unless a student brings one. They start on .22lr's of all sorts, then step up to 9mm Glocks, XD's, & Smith & Wessons. Instructors can also let them shoot their guns, none of which are .44 mag or 10mm. I often let students shoot my XDS or 1911 once they are done with all the other firearms. Everyone who ever shot my XDS wanted to buy one immediately.

I'm sure she had a good time! They had a beautiful day to shoot!

My bad. Clearly a misunderstanding on her
    part. They thought they would be trying out the calibers listed. I was hanging out at home being a bum. :)
    Not a big deal. Both reported that a good time was had even though the .22 was all they shot.. The boss says she feels much more comfortable and she is already talking about another course.:yesway:

Sedanman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Noblesville
    It's awesome when they take a interest. My wife has a ltch but didn't carry. The other day I get a call from her and she is in a gun store looking!

On a side note please post up what she thinks of the class, I plan to enroll her and I will be taking the class to (can never have too much knowledge). Wanted to get some feedback before we enroll.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    get a 380.

Hmmm....380ACP...a caliber that:

- costs more than 9mm
    - is significantly underpowered/underpenetrates as a defense round compared to 9mm/.45/.38/etc.
    - tends to come in smaller-sized pistols that may be difficult for a new shooter to handle...

please-demotivational-poster-1280707706.jpg

...about how this is such a great caliber for a new shooter...?

Is this your recommendation because the OP is about a new female shooter, and all 'dem wimmins cain't handle anythang else?

Just curious... :dunno:

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    It's awesome when they take a interest. My wife has a ltch but didn't carry. The other day I get a call from her and she is in a gun store looking!

On a side note please post up what she thinks of the class, I plan to enroll her and I will be taking the class to (can never have too much knowledge). Wanted to get some feedback before we enroll.

she said she had a good time- a very good introductory class for someone who knows little about firearms. I asked her and her friend if she thought it was worth the price-tag: both said yes.

My wife said she is itching to get out and practice so she can put her new training to use with calibers other than .22LR.

The three of us had gone to a LGS a few weeks ago and the salesman was pushing a .22m snub on my wife's friend. After yesterday, she was very glad I told her to wait- she found out that DAO revolvers are not for her.

Both of them are talking more classes and more shooting. :yesway:

Top Bottom