• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NWIeng

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Hammond
    Alrighty...this is my FIRST :rockwoot::rockwoot: AAR on INGO. I am by no means a good shot, but at risk of ridicule, my brass supplier gently forced me to put this up on here.

I was able to get to Willow Slough right when they opened this morning to test out my first batch ever of rifle reloads. I am pleased to say I didn't have a single FTF, FTE, etc. I was absolutely thrilled.

First, the Rifle. 16" Rock River AR-15 Carbine with an Eotech sight.

DSC00544.jpg

All shooting was done from a bench rest at 50 Yards.

I batched 20 rounds each with the following data:

Loads 1 & 2: Remington 55 grain FMJ's over 23 grains and 23.5 grains of IMR 4895. Trim Length: 1.760", OAL: 2.200"

Loads 3 & 4: Hornady 55 grain FMJ-BT over 23 grains and 23.5 grains of IMR 4895. Trim Length: 1.760", OAL: 2.220"

Target #1 - Ran Loads 1&3 at the target after re-checking my Eotech zero at the 25 yard range.

DSC00546.jpg

Target #2 - Ran Loads 2&4 at the target after dialing the Eotech down a couple clicks. There are a handful high and left that had me whispering to myself after letting them go saying 'now why in the world did you pull the trigger?'.

DSC00547.jpg

Target #3 - Brought out a magazine full of PMC Bronze 55 grain FMJ's just to backcheck to make sure there wasn't any drastic changes in POI. I realize at 50 yards there wouldn't be much coupled with my basic shooting skills, but I was still happy with the results...

DSC00545.jpg

So there you have it. My first AAR. I am now thrilled that I can load up in quantity without many worries.

What does everyone think? Is my accuracy that bad? Or is that pretty reasonable considering a no-magnification optic?

[edit....yes, I know the targets are rotated. I can't seem to get the other two oriented propertly in photobucket...sorry]

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    Looks pretty darn good! I like that second target,:rockwoot: a little practice, we could have another rifleman in the mix! Good job on the reloads, they look as good as the factory loads. Now you can afford to shoot more, and reload more, so you can shoot more, :ar15::smileak: :shoot: well you know!:D

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    An opinion

I do a different kind of shooting but I would submit the following:

25 yard open sight offhand shooting is more a test of the shooter than the ammo. If you want to test your reloads, go back to at least 50 yards (100 if the gun was scoped) and shoot off a rest or bags.

And.....If the results make you happy...........good enough! :)

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Great job! Always a great feeling running your first reloads through and having good results. Looks like you hit on a load that provides pretty comparable accuracy to the factory PMC at that range.

I got out myself today with my second batch of reloads for my M1 Garand. Was ringing a 12x12" steel plate at 200 with them, so pretty happy with that. :)

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    :+1:Thanks for the report. Good job on the reloads(trimmed!:yesway:) Always good when your reloads match what your factory loads do. Nice looking AR!

Top Bottom