• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bollerman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    For my daughter's birthday we are planning on getting her a 22 rifle for target plinking. I was at Bradis, Plainfield, and Fort Liberty here in Indy and saw quite a few options. Doe anyone have any recommendations?

I'm leaning towards a Ruger 10-22 CCR with Fiber Optic bits on the sights. Mainly as it seemed to be a good rifle and it is semi-automatic. However, she expressed an interest in the pink rifles, and this is wood grain. I suppose I could always sand/strip it and paint it pink.

I did see a few pink ones in the mid size but they were classic bolt action. I figure if we are going to get involved in shooting competitions, even if just for fun, she would be better off with a S/A magazine. Also there was one that was inexpensive but it has a plastic stock.

Any thoughts anyone?

LionWeight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    Merrillville
    I own several Ruger 22's both in rifle and handgun. Don't think you'd regret getting one. Have shot more rounds than I can count and as long as it's kept somewhat clean it gives no problems.

Shive.Justin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2011
    Greenwood/Whiteland
    i've only shot about 100-200 rounds with my buddy's ruger 10/22, but i didn't have any problems with it, and have since contemplated getting one for my little girl to shoot when she gets old enough. good gun IMO

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Get a 10/22 and replace the stock with one of the MANY aftermarket options in any color you choose. Note the 10/22 comes in tapered-barrel and bull-barrel versions. The stocks are not generally interchangeable, so figure out what you need before you buy.

454comp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    10/22 all the way.... and although i love my local gun shops Dicks had it the cheapest when i bought mine last year

Zinga

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Just went through this with my daughters (ages 10, 12, and 13). Borrowed a pink Cricket and they loved shooting it but it was too small. While all my girls demonstrated good safety practices, I thought it would be better to stick with bolt action vs. a semi-auto. Wanted them to learn the value of making each shot count and to take their time between shots. They are having a blast with the bolt action.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    You can get the 10/22 in pink too, if you wish. I'm going to go against the grain here and recommend the Marlin 795. It's at least $120 bucks cheaper than the Ruger, and it's more accurate right out of the box. It's probably the inexpensive one you saw with the plastic stock. There aren't near as many doo-dads made for the 795 as there is for the 10/22, so if you think she's going to want to "tacticool" it all out, then the 10/22 might be a better choice, but if you want to pay $100 for an accurate plinker rather than pay $250 and still need to spend more to make it really accurate, you might try the Marlin.

Brown

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    Brownsburg
    Second vote for the 795. shorter stock and light weight with the synthetic. dove tail for installing optics if she so desires in the future. cheaper beginner gun but if she wants to swap things out there are fewer choices than a ruger

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    she expressed an interest in the pink rifles,

Why this one of course :D. However, being a Talo limited edition it would probably be difficult to find and the cost would be a bit more than most of the other suggestions in this thread.

811051_01_md.jpg

Product: Model M&P15-22 - Pink Platinum, Threaded Barrel with A1 Style Comp

Cannon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    I talked to an instructor last week at a gun shop about a gun he was picking up. It was an old Marlin model 25 22lr. He said he had taught all of his kids and his grandkids to shoot with that model gun. He said that he owned multiple and he has given them to his kids over time, in fact this one would go to a grandkid as well. The cool part about it that he was showing me was that the stock had a drop on it in such a way that I could still shoulder it comfortably, and it's a kids gun. A kid could learn to shoot with it comfortably and grow up with it to be a squirrel blaster on their own. I put a little single shot 22 on my shoulder right after he let me shoulder the model 25 and I felt like I was scratching my under arm and the stock was the exact same length. I was really impressed and that's what I plan on having my daughter learn to shoot with now. It'll still be a couple years but that was some sound advice from an expert. He said he paid 125 for it online and was doing a transfer at the shop for it.

Cannon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    One more thing... In my opinion... It's a good idea for a kid to learn with a bolt gun or single shot. I know, I know you only have to load one at a time in a semi...

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    One more thing... In my opinion... It's a good idea for a kid to learn with a bolt gun or single shot. I know, I know you only have to load one at a time in a semi...

I agree with this 100%. My girls started out with a Crickett and even I like to shoot it with them. The stock is small and they may outgrow it quickly, but the bolt action/single shot is the best way to train for the safe practices/use.

I now let them shoot my 10/22's but they still like the Crickett and are very proficient with it.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    The Mossberg 702 comes in Pink. Great .22lr. There isn't any aftermarket parts, but what do you need to change? I my son still shoots it in Steel Matches (does very well) after 5 years.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    For my daughter's birthday we are planning on getting her a 22 rifle for target plinking. I was at Bradis, Plainfield, and Fort Liberty here in Indy and saw quite a few options. Doe anyone have any recommendations?

I'm leaning towards a Ruger 10-22 CCR with Fiber Optic bits on the sights. Mainly as it seemed to be a good rifle and it is semi-automatic. However, she expressed an interest in the pink rifles, and this is wood grain. I suppose I could always sand/strip it and paint it pink.

I did see a few pink ones in the mid size but they were classic bolt action. I figure if we are going to get involved in shooting competitions, even if just for fun, she would be better off with a S/A magazine. Also there was one that was inexpensive but it has a plastic stock.

Any thoughts anyone?
    See if you can get a black one. That is the new pink after all. The ruger would be a great choice, I started shooting with a ruger target pistol in 22lr the mark II to be exact. I love the 10-22s though.

Top Bottom