• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ssgjason

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Southern IN
    I have been assigned the task of liquidating a collection of firearms. There are some extremely nice rifles.
    What route would you guys recommend? There is no need for speed. It mostly includes M1s, M1 carbines, 03s, and Mausers.

ssgjason

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Southern IN
    Thanks. My biggest problem is values. Corey can attest to an example of one of the rifles, which is supposedly one of the very last M1s ever manufactured. There was a 03A3 that was owned by a previous Secretary of the Navy (with letter). An M1 built by Snuffy Smith (of Crane) the list goes on.

ETA-The Garand mentioned here is an 6.084 rifle with a 3-56 barrel with DCM paperwork

Last edited:

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    Hoosier's seem to pay top dollar at auctions from every nook and cranie of this state for nice firearms. If they are really nice as your saying you might want to get them in a high end auction, but you will lose at least 20% of that to the auction house.

Or do it your self and but it on GunBroker. But that is a whole other job in itself. The GB fees are not that bad, you can set a reserve and let the bidders set their own price.

I also pay good money for the right mausers. PM me and I can give you some prices on what I have seen your stuff sold for. I'm also in the southern part of the state.

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    You don't say if the clearance is for a family member, close friend or what. With that said, easiest way is what has been said, an auction with reserve prices for the better pieces and a minimum opening bid for the rest.

That will ruffle feathers with people on here who would want A+ firearms for bargain basement prices, but you aren't doing it for the benefit of the people on this Board.

Make sure you get a reputable Auction house.

Another thought, some of the gun shops will sell on consignment for a fee, you can look at that too.

As to the online gun auction sights, lot of headaches and extra work on your end verifying FFL's and boxing and shipping and insurance and tracking and making sure funds are legit.

Whatever you decide I wish you good luck.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    If you want to look nto getting it moved in one swift strike, I know that 'The Gun Den' purchases collections. They are a vendor on this site and located here in Shelbyville.

Give Steve or Randy a call!

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    If you want top dollar stick them on Gunbroker. If you want to sell them quickly put a list together with reasonable prices and post them here.

D.T.O.M.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    martinsville
    I agree with citizen Kane on that! If you are needing prices invest in a blue book of gun values or surf gun broker to see what they are bringing

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Since these are not 'everyday' firearms and some have special value, I would contact someone who deals with this stuff.

I am not sure how to locate but I have a book from Greg Martin Auctions, these are top notch and are not to sell cheap guns but I am no expert.

He is out of

2152 Alton Pkwy Suite K Irvine CA 92606
    fax 949-955-9205

Some of the Guns in this Catalog go for thousands of dollars

If you are doing this form someone close to you or for them, then you should get them top dollar if you can, they trusted you so do the best you can..

get multiple opinions, and don't rush.....

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I like the idea of selling them on consignment at a local gun shop, but I have a really good relationship with my local gun shop owner, so it might not be as profitable for you as it would be for me. You might be able to check a couple of local shops though to see what they would pay for it, to help you find a fair value.

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    Anyway you could post the collection or at least pm me with what the inventory is? I know of a very wealthy collector here locally who would be interested and would pay top $.

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    uselessnopics.jpg

ssgjason

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Southern IN
    This is for family so I do want to get the most money.

The only hurry is that the widow would like to get rid of them due to local people knowing her husband had a collection and her fear of theft or robbery.

We are going to catalog and photograph as much as possible in the next coming weeks.

There is also a lot of ammunition (some of you guys who missed out on the CMP M2 AP will be able to get some!), and reloading supplies.

I really don't know what to do with the reloaded ammo though some of it is well marked and he was a very thorough reloader, but as he went in his downward spiral the last few months, some of his reloads were not marked so well.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    You said you need to liquidate some extremely nice M1s, M1 carbines, and 03s. You said that you are in no hurry and you are unsure about values....

Then demonstrate your respect for the individual that put this collection together and go to the experts to determine value.

I have mentioned this guy before. In the years that I have researched WWII rifles, I have come to believe him to be the defacto expert on M1 Garands. Scott Duff Publications & Historic Martial Arms: M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, M1903, Krag, M1911A1

You'll see that he appraises, buys and sells mint condition examples of the above rifles for top dollar.

I strongly urge you to at least send him an email explaining your situation and a list of the items you have. That way, you have covered your bases.

-John

ssgjason

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Southern IN
    You said you need to liquidate some extremely nice M1s, M1 carbines, and 03s. You said that you are in no hurry and you are unsure about values....

Then demonstrate your respect for the individual that put this collection together and go to the experts to determine value.

I have mentioned this guy before. In the years that I have researched WWII rifles, I have come to believe him to be the defacto expert on M1 Garands. Scott Duff Publications & Historic Martial Arms: M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, M1903, Krag, M1911A1

You'll see that he appraises, buys and sells mint condition examples of the above rifles for top dollar.

I strongly urge you to at least send him an email explaining your situation and a list of the items you have. That way, you have covered your bases.

-John

And this is why I asked here. Perfect. Thank you.

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    I really don't know what to do with the reloaded ammo though some of it is well marked and he was a very thorough reloader, but as he went in his downward spiral the last few months, some of his reloads were not marked so well.

With the unknown reloads, you can sell those as components only. Give a nice stern detail warning that these loads should not be fired and the bullets should be pulled and powered measured than reloaded. "Sold as is, what you do with them is your business. You have been warned!" Sell them for component pricing not as load rounds and they should move and be out of your hair.

Also what I have found is the blue book is not all that correct on milsurp firearms. It usually doesn't take into account for all the rare variants or ones with markings that can drive a price way up or down.

As for local shops, they are more likely to lowball you since they need to make money to stay in business. Consignment fees usually run around 20%

Top Bottom