• ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I've been hunting DNR land for years now. My buddies and I have had access to private land in past years, and I think its time (long overdue) to search out some private land to hunt once again. The best place we had was a farm with quite a bit of wooded acerage on the Elk river, which held some very nice deer. But when the owner retired, we lost the place.

Does anyone have any advice on how to go about finding a lease? Any particular place that land owners might adverstise a deer lease? Any of you out there have some land you might want to make available to a couple of fellow hunters?

I am trying to find some land to lease in one of the following counties: Lake, Porter, LaPorte, Newton, Jasper, Pulaski, or Starke.

I am so tired of hunting DNR property. Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

Last edited:

purple72

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Sometimes people offer leases on Craigslist. You can always check the net. All I can say is, get ready to take a hit on your wallet. I just checked into a few here in Indiana, and they averaged between 1-2k, and that was ONLY for deer season with no use rights.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Sometimes people offer leases on Craigslist. You can always check the net. All I can say is, get ready to take a hit on your wallet. I just checked into a few here in Indiana, and they averaged between 1-2k, and that was ONLY for deer season with no use rights.

Thanks, I will take a look at Craigslist. I am prepared to deal in the neighborhood of 1-2k. That price would be OK with me, as long we had exclusive hunting privileges, and not sharing the acreage with a bunch of other folks. Otherwise, there's not much advantage over DNR land.

BTW, I'm a total newb when it comes to legal terminology - what does "no use rights" mean?

purple72

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    Central Indiana
    On the ones I was checking on, there was no driving on the property, couldn't put in food plots and it was only during deer season. Not sure if we could go in earlier and scout.

smittygj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    Kingdom of Bahrain
    This is from another post where I replied to the same question. It worked for me last year, and again
    this year. I've got three properties (two in Monroe county and one in Owen county) for a total of
    about 700 acres this year.

Of course I did this prior to season, so might be too late for this year,
    but you could start searching now for next year.

"Here is what I did. Durring the off season, I drove around and used google maps to
    find property that looked decent to hunt, and had no houses on them (vacant land).
    I researched the tax records to find the owners, and sent them a letter letting them
    know who I was, a little about me, and requested permission to hunt on their property.
    Enclosed was a map of their property from google maps, and a permission form with
    dates listed from and to that I was requesting to hunt (basically firearm and muzzle
    loader season) and a self addressed stamped envelope for them to send me back the
    signed form.

I sent out 8 letters, and got 3 back giving me permission to hunt three places here
    in Monroe county with a total acreage of about 600 acres. Yes, on two of them,
    there are two or three other hunters that also have permission to hunt, but in no
    way are we crowding each other. If I go hunt and see their vehicle on one side of t
    he property, I just drive over to the other side and hunt there."

Thats what worked for me! None of them asked for any money, and
    only asked that I respect their property and two of them asked that I kill
    as many coyotes that I can call/see. It can't hurt to do some research,
    and for the cost of some stamps and some time, you would be amazed
    at the results you might have.

Smittygj

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    This is from another post where I replied to the same question. It worked for me last year, and again
    this year. I've got three properties (two in Monroe county and one in Owen county) for a total of
    about 700 acres this year.

Of course I did this prior to season, so might be too late for this year,
    but you could start searching now for next year.

"Here is what I did. Durring the off season, I drove around and used google maps to
    find property that looked decent to hunt, and had no houses on them (vacant land).
    I researched the tax records to find the owners, and sent them a letter letting them
    know who I was, a little about me, and requested permission to hunt on their property.
    Enclosed was a map of their property from google maps, and a permission form with
    dates listed from and to that I was requesting to hunt (basically firearm and muzzle
    loader season) and a self addressed stamped envelope for them to send me back the
    signed form.

I sent out 8 letters, and got 3 back giving me permission to hunt three places here
    in Monroe county with a total acreage of about 600 acres. Yes, on two of them,
    there are two or three other hunters that also have permission to hunt, but in no
    way are we crowding each other. If I go hunt and see their vehicle on one side of t
    he property, I just drive over to the other side and hunt there."

Thats what worked for me! None of them asked for any money, and
    only asked that I respect their property and two of them asked that I kill
    as many coyotes that I can call/see. It can't hurt to do some research,
    and for the cost of some stamps and some time, you would be amazed
    at the results you might have.

Smittygj

If everyone was as smart as you the hunting lease businesses would go out of business! I like it. Got to give this a try!

Once you found a location that you liked, how did you make the connection to the tax records? Just by using an address?

smittygj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    Kingdom of Bahrain
    If everyone was as smart as you the hunting lease businesses would go out of business! I like it. Got to give this a try!

Once you found a location that you liked, how did you make the connection to the tax records? Just by using an address?

Yes. The tax records have the mailing address for mailing of the tax bill.
    Much of this info is available online for free if you know where to look.

Smittygj

smittygj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    Kingdom of Bahrain
    Guess I should explain that a little better.
    Here in Monroe county, all the property tax records are online (as are
    many other counties). The ones in this county are available on
    39°N - GIS Developers providing ArcGIS Server Customization.
    You click on the county, and then can modify the map to show just the
    map displaying property owners or can view aerial maps to help you find it.
    It will show you the property lines, and then has links to the tax records if
    you hover with your mouse over the property. The property tax records
    also tell you whether or not there is a structure on the property (such as
    a house back off the road out of view) so you can rule those out.

If you need help, let me know, I'll help you out.

The following counties are available via the website above:

Adams Co.
    Bartholomew Co.
    Cass Co.
    Clark Co.
    Elkhart Co.
    Floyd Co.
    Grant Co.
    Harrison Co.
    Jay Co.
    Lawrence Co.
    Martin Co.